Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement oil drain hose 340 monsoon


Recommended Posts

Hi all ,I’m after some advise on replacing the oil drain hose on my 340 monsoon,I have a split in the hose and need to replace it. There looks to be very little room to complete this has anyone done it with the motor in or does it need to be lifted or even removed to do?Any help greatly appreciated!

Link to comment
On 10/1/2022 at 8:30 PM, Ducatifan said:

Hi all ,I’m after some advise on replacing the oil drain hose on my 340 monsoon,I have a split in the hose and need to replace it. There looks to be very little room to complete this has anyone done it with the motor in or does it need to be lifted or even removed to do?Any help greatly appreciated!

Mine is getting pretty tired too, so I've briefly looked at replacing it. All I've done so far is take a photo of what I'd be up against. Maybe you could get a wrench in there and break it free? Or if that fails, cut the hose and back the coupler out of the oil pan. Connect the new hose and put the coupler back in the pan. You should have enough access for that. Now... that's assuming the coupler is not longer than an inch or so into the pan...which I can't imagine that its that long. Bonus for you, your XTi shouldn't have the bolts sticking up through the floor to work around like mine does. @justgary Have you messed with these?

 

ED3B9AE7-B79A-4E7E-A0F8-68DA263AAD1F

 

Edited by BlindSquirrel
Link to comment
3 hours ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Mine is getting pretty tired too, so I've briefly looked at replacing it. All I've done so far is take a photo of what I'd be up against. Maybe you could get a wrench in there and break it free? Or if that fails, cut the hose and back the coupler out of the oil pan. Connect the new hose and put the coupler back in the pan. You should have enough access for that. Now... that's assuming the coupler is not longer than an inch or so into the pan...which I can't imagine that its that long. Bonus for you, your XTi shouldn't have the bolts sticking up through the floor to work around like mine does. @justgary Have you messed with these?

 

ED3B9AE7-B79A-4E7E-A0F8-68DA263AAD1F

 

I have not, and don't really ever want to.  I hope my spray oil will keep the Boogey Man away.

@Bozboat pulled his engine to replace his rusted oil pan, so maybe he can tell you how long the fitting was.  I wouldn't expect more than about 1/2" or so.  I think that is important to carefully inspect for a rusted pan to make sure you won't have to pull the engine anyway.

From the view you posted, it should be possible to leave the tee in the pan and get an offset crow foot flare nut socket in there to break the hose fitting free.  It would then spin off, and a new one would spin on.  A little bit of tightening would then finish the job up. 

Using your phone camera to watch the wrench grab the hose fitting is cheating... you gotta get your eyeball down in the bilge to do it right!

spacer.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, justgary said:

I have not, and don't really ever want to.  I hope my spray oil will keep the Boogey Man away.

@Bozboat pulled his engine to replace his rusted oil pan, so maybe he can tell you how long the fitting was.  I wouldn't expect more than about 1/2" or so.  I think that is important to carefully inspect for a rusted pan to make sure you won't have to pull the engine anyway.

From the view you posted, it should be possible to leave the tee in the pan and get an offset crow foot flare nut socket in there to break the hose fitting free.  It would then spin off, and a new one would spin on.  A little bit of tightening would then finish the job up. 

Using your phone camera to watch the wrench grab the hose fitting is cheating... you gotta get your eyeball down in the bilge to do it right!

spacer.png

 

 

 

 

Edited by Bozboat
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...