Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hydrohoist Question

ooklay

I just bought my hydro hoist and am curious about getting my boat on the lift.  I was hoping I could use the guide rails on the lift like my trailer guide rails to help line me up and dock with more ease.  Videos of the hydro hoist show it fully submerged where the boat floats freely on top of it. Can anyone help clarify?

I didn't get any instructions for my lift beyond a random YouTube video for a tritoon boat:

You have to sort of learn where to let the boat float and then raise the lift.  Technically I think there are directions to tie lines in your slip that position it, but then as it raises you have to undo them. We just hold ours in place until it catches the boat.  

Now, as an option, I did add trailer guide posts on mine that float up probably like you are wanting. I did it as we are on the main channel and sometimes holding the boat in place against side wave action was tough, so the poles keep the basic end from moving too much in those times.  In calmer waters, I wouldn’t mess with them.  

C6B5F123-4CC9-4076-99E8-A09F9301FEF3.jpeg

AC79CB2E-B33D-4D9F-BB0A-4C0C6BB7EA2D.jpeg

Edited by hethj7
  • Like 2

So you don't think adding trailer guide lines are necessary?  I really suck at driving the boat and hoped it would be easier to get the boat in the slip once I had the lift (thinking of the docking process like a trailer).  

It just sounds so difficult to float your boat in this perfect place while the lift does it's thing.

No, guides aren’t necessary.  Put some bumpers on your dock corners and stuff in case you bump as you come in, but you will get the hang of it quickly.  My lift is the only one I know of with the taller guides, so it is by far much more common to not have them.  You can also set the lift to lower just enough where the bunks will sort of catch as you come in like a trailer.   The downside of that is the lift may not then be deep enough when you have more passengers on board and it makes it difficult to back out and off the lift with the added weight.  

I have a hydrohoist and this is my first season with it.  So far I have not found the need for guides.  I put a huge foam bumper/pad at the bow.  I pull into the slip, get everyone off the boat and then I typically pull the boat forward with my hands until it touches the bumper pad at the bow and hit the button to raise.  The guys who did the install really nailed the bunk placement because mine will essentially settle dead center on the lift.  If it's off a bit. I stop the lift, lower back down, and nudge it where it needs to go.  We're on the main channel and if it's a busy weekend I'll get help to hold it where I want it before hitting the raise button.

image.thumb.png.ebdaf944eb93b41f51893c1efd7b1457.png

So no one is a fan of raising the lift just enough where the guide bars are showing so I can use them for docking?  I figured I would, perhaps after undocking, raise the lift just a little bit to help with fitting in the slip...

Docking without the lift was hard enough, was really hoping the lift would make it easier.

1 hour ago, ooklay said:

So no one is a fan of raising the lift just enough where the guide bars are showing so I can use them for docking?  I figured I would, perhaps after undocking, raise the lift just a little bit to help with fitting in the slip...

Docking without the lift was hard enough, was really hoping the lift would make it easier.

There really aren’t any guide poles on a standard hydrohoist, so I am not sure what would be guiding you on. If you are referring to the outer arms you see, those are too wide to really be guided and are there as part of the Pittman arm system to raise/lower the lift.

Best case if you are that nervous initially is to just lower the lift enough where you can just get the boat off but the bunks “catch” you, sort of like adjusting how deep or shallow you put a trailer in.  You will get the hang of it quickly.   

18 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

There really aren’t any guide poles on a standard hydrohoist, so I am not sure what would be guiding you on. If you are referring to the outer arms you see, those are too wide to really be guided and are there as part of the Pittman arm system to raise/lower the lift.

Best case if you are that nervous initially is to just lower the lift enough where you can just get the boat off but the bunks “catch” you, sort of like adjusting how deep or shallow you put a trailer in.  You will get the hang of it quickly.   

We just added some over the counter bolt on trailer posts. Been working for 15 years. Just hafta tighten every once in a while. Our slip is 14ft wide so lots of room on the side.

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE27620.html?feed=npn&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google | Shop - Boat Trailer Parts&adgroupid=89022318194&campaignid=202804817&creative=404001548300&device=c&devicemodel=&feeditemid=&keyword=&loc_interest_ms=&loc_physical_ms=9026797&matchtype=&network=g&placement=&position=&gclid=CjwKCAjwp9qZBhBkEiwAsYFsb4j-lT8eNKZyXreWnLJnQd06O2VS3rgs6MSIuWrY8YB_2SJvYU7W0BoC2rIQAvD_BwE

Edited by Brad B

Perhaps limit how far down the lift goes. On mine the V of the hull on the bunks keep it close enough to centered to prevent it from hitting the dock. Then I hold it in place as the lift come up to get it centered.

Its difficult til its not.  You eventually figure out where the boat needs to be pretty close and just hold it there.  What I do is I hold close to where I know it should be and then just rock a bit side to side as the bow V hits bunks and that seems to help  settle the boat to the middle.  At first its was kind of an up-down-up process to get it centered but now after most the summer of putting it on, I seem to be able to hold in the right spot every time.  I think you just get used to seeing the same amount of space from boat to dock every time and after a while just becomes muscle memory.

• 5 months later...

If of any assistance to you guys with hydro hoist.. there is a new control board out that is wireless key fob functionality plus a leak guard protection sensor in case your boat lift leaks and lowers  while away it will automatically raise it up and notify you how many times it's happened since you were last there... 

If you need to position The boat on the lift from inside the boat without getting on the dock and hitting the button or if you're by yourself this makes it a breeze.. 

Ultra Lift withTriton Upgrade Panel.jpg

Triton Panel in Action.jpg

Triton Pro Wireless Control Panel Upgrade Bell board.jpg

Triton Pro Wireless Control Panel.jpg

Edited by The Hulk
  • 2 months later...

We have a tight fit and we’re on a river with cross current that tends to push the back end of the boat. 

Wanted a repeatable, brain-dead system to get the boat on the lift correctly  

The lift company added lines to back cross brace that attach to mid-ship cleats. That locks in the front/back distance. And I added a stretch tube to the bow eye to center it without someone having to hold it.  

With those 3 attach points - it has been easy to get in right position every time. Works for us.   

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2022 at 7:17 AM, hethj7 said:

You have to sort of learn where to let the boat float and then raise the lift.  Technically I think there are directions to tie lines in your slip that position it, but then as it raises you have to undo them. We just hold ours in place until it catches the boat.  

Now, as an option, I did add trailer guide posts on mine that float up probably like you are wanting. I did it as we are on the main channel and sometimes holding the boat in place against side wave action was tough, so the poles keep the basic end from moving too much in those times.  In calmer waters, I wouldn’t mess with them.  

C6B5F123-4CC9-4076-99E8-A09F9301FEF3.jpeg

AC79CB2E-B33D-4D9F-BB0A-4C0C6BB7EA2D.jpeg

What brand and where did you get this cover?  Prices are all over the board on these and I want it to last a little while.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2023 at 2:12 PM, TOAST said:

We have a tight fit and we’re on a river with cross current that tends to push the back end of the boat. 

Wanted a repeatable, brain-dead system to get the boat on the lift correctly  

The lift company added lines to back cross brace that attach to mid-ship cleats. That locks in the front/back distance. And I added a stretch tube to the bow eye to center it without someone having to hold it.  

With those 3 attach points - it has been easy to get in right position every time. Works for us.   

IMG_1860.jpeg

IMG_1861.jpeg

didn't HH make guide poles? or are those made up by dealers.. would make it super easy just play bumper boat into position.

sweet garage!!! jealous .. question; curious why cover the boat in a garage when it could air out, and still be out of weather? 

• 4 months later...

Sorry Hulk, missed your questions earlier, but came across the post today.  I'm sure you've been wondering for months. . . 

We cover it overnight or extended periods due to critters. We've had otters up in the boatwell a couple of times, don't want them to get to the upholstery.  Also, from a cleanliness perspective, the cover catches a lot of debris, and those 'little black dots' on the cover that come from the spiders up in the rafters.   We're finishing the ceiling this year - expect that will be less of an issue moving forward. 

• 2 months later...

Use bug stop we use it on our canopies couple times a year gets rid of all the spiders and the spider poop..