Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Waterskicancun.com

malcontent

I'm headed to Club Med in Cancun in early March. I came across a reference to www.waterskicancun.com in wakeboarding magazine. Does anyone have any experience with this place? I thought I might get some instruction. Thanks.

I'm headed to Club Med in Cancun in early March. I came across a reference to www.waterskicancun.com in wakeboarding magazine. Does anyone have any experience with this place? I thought I might get some instruction. Thanks.

Consider emailing pq2. He's a regular on the MasterCraft forums and teaches skiing in Cancun. Really nice guy, good equipment by all reports, and a great host. 2004 MasterCraft Prostar, though...

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=4401

Edited by Big Mac

actually big mac, you got it a bit wrong. pq2 does have an mc197 and ski /live in cancun. however does not have a ski school , at least not as of yet. however he is a great guy and took me skiing!! waterskicancun is of no relation.

Edited by lxirod

We were at the Club Med in Cancun about 3 years ago. Club Med had a boat that they ran in a (pretty) small lake/canal behind the club - right on the property. We stood there and watched them and they spent all their time trying to teach beginners how to ski or board. I was going to give it w whirl when I discovered that there was an alligator Surprised.gif (like, a friggen 8 footer) Shocking.gif in one of the lagoons!!!! The staff said he was a "pet", but there he was, visible, just hangin out on the bank!!!!! So we decided to pass, but that didn't stop the others. He never moved from the bank that afternoon.

When I was in Cancun about 6 years ago, a friend of the person I was with lived down there, and they wanted help getting up on one ski. We went to a place in the lagoon and the boats they had were so bad, when they pushed the throttle down so much black smoke came out of the back of the boat you couldn't breath, the rope was like a cloth rope and the ski's were garbage. We were told that the gators don't bother you and I have read all the articles, but it is just something I don't think I could get used to. I skied around a little but all I kept looking for were the alligators. They have an island they ski around it is called alligator island and it was just not very fun worrying if some stupid gator didn't get enough food from the restaurants on the bay the night before, that's where we saw quite a few of them. Needless to say he didn't get up on one, the boat didn't have enough umph. I think the engine needed a major overhaul, I'm sure they beat them to death; and it was actually a Mastercraft. Cry.gif

We were at the Club Med in Cancun about 3 years ago. Club Med had a boat that they ran in a (pretty) small lake/canal behind the club - right on the property. We stood there and watched them and they spent all their time trying to teach beginners how to ski or board. I was going to give it w whirl when I discovered that there was an alligator Surprised.gif (like, a friggen 8 footer) Shocking.gif in one of the lagoons!!!! The staff said he was a "pet", but there he was, visible, just hangin out on the bank!!!!! So we decided to pass, but that didn't stop the others. He never moved from the bank that afternoon.

They held the 1990 college waterski nationals in the bayou next to the dorms at NLU, in Monroe, LA. Coming from the west coast, it was quite a shock to learn that they had to run the boat up and down the course in the morning to clear the gators out of the course. Apparently, feeding time is just around dusk, so they were pretthy strict about not pushing the tourney into the wee-hours to keep on track. We never had any issues, but I thought it was pretty exciting and a great conversation point when we got back home.

i was in cancun last month, had a great time. i went skiing in the lagoon, wasnt told about the gators till my second set. the guy i was with ( pq2) assured me he had been skiing there his whole life and not once had heard of any incidents. so i took my second set without a thought of it. i had great condtions with my equipement , brought my own ski and rope and pq has an 04 197 with perfect pass. the course was affected by tides though , other than that awesome time...cant wait to go back.!

actually big mac, you got it a bit wrong. pq2 does have an mc197 and ski /live in cancun. however does not have a ski school , at least not as of yet. however he is a great guy and took me skiing!! waterskicancun is of no relation.

Oops. Never mind then. As I peripherally read the Cancun-Mania thread I had the impression that he and his brother had a ski school. Apparently you were the only one of the group to actually make the trip?

Edited by Big Mac