Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Manifold hose flow

wakesetta12

Nobody had the EXT cats in stock but I was able to do the marine torq stainless. 

2 questions,

For the fittings for the hoses, should I use all the NPT 90's or all brass? The old ones have a brass and a NPT.

How should the hoses flow? They don't line up and it seems like they won't have the front hose that connects the 2 sides together because I am short 1 spot on each of new manifold. I have it in now, just want to make sure I have water running through it correctly.

The new manifolds have a place in the front, then top middle and then behind that dumps into exhaust. Would hoses go in that order, front to front, middle to middle and then back to the dump?

38 minutes ago, wakesetta12 said:

Nobody had the EXT cats in stock but I was able to do the marine torq stainless. 

2 questions,

For the fittings for the hoses, should I use all the NPT 90's or all brass? The old ones have a brass and a NPT.

How should the hoses flow? They don't line up and it seems like they won't have the front hose that connects the 2 sides together because I am short 1 spot on each of new manifold. I have it in now, just want to make sure I have water running through it correctly.

The new manifolds have a place in the front, then top middle and then behind that dumps into exhaust. Would hoses go in that order, front to front, middle to middle and then back to the dump?

Please post photos of your manifolds.

You don't need the crossover hose in general, but it wouldn't hurt you to add one if you plan to surf listed a lot.

I'm a little confused about your description.  If you bought a set with catalysts, you should have a water port and an anode port along the bottom, then an O2 port near the top and another one just after the cat cartridge.

I recommend that you remove the anodes after every trip and allow the manifolds to stay dry for storage.

Will post picture as soon as I can. You are correct in the locations for the ports, does it matter which hose goes to each tho? I don't know the flow of the water is my problem.

I have 3 water ports. One in the front, one in middle and one in the back/dump. There is also the anode and the 2 sensor ports.  I just don't know which hose should go in front/middle/back.

Edited by wakesetta12
1 hour ago, wakesetta12 said:

I have 3 water ports. One in the front, one in middle and one in the back/dump.

A photo would help a lot.

Are you saying that the water does not dump into the exhaust hoses behind the cats?

https://imgur.com/a/IEPKvI7

These are the manifolds, the water does dump into the exhaust. There is 3 water ports for the the hoses. I am just not sure if it matters which hose goes to which port because the other manifolds had the front ones connecting to eachother. 

There is 3 water ports, 2 O2 sensors, then the anode that is on other side you can't really see on each side.

Edited by wakesetta12

spacer.png

Does this photo show all of the water ports, and is only missing the anode ports on the other sides? 

How do you have it plumbed now?  If you put water in the port at the bottom of the photo, will it run out the exhaust port by itself?  In other words, does the water flow past the cats to the exhaust port?

That photo shows all the water ports. I currently have it plumbed in order of front to back. The hose comes out closest to the front of boat I put a long hose on and put it to the front bottom. The next hose I put in middle and the one that was furthest to the back I put on the port that was furthest to back.

I thought that they were all plumbed together and it would get dumped out the back but I will have to check on that.

9 minutes ago, wakesetta12 said:

That photo shows all the water ports. I currently have it plumbed in order of front to back. The hose comes out closest to the front of boat I put a long hose on and put it to the front bottom. The next hose I put in middle and the one that was furthest to the back I put on the port that was furthest to back.

I thought that they were all plumbed together and it would get dumped out the back but I will have to check on that.

You should check to make sure that water flows past the cats.  I see no reason for the top and rear ports if it does. 

My assumption is that the cats are uncooled so they can heat properly.  If that is the case, you want to take water out of the top ports and pipe it directly to the rear ports in order to cool the exhaust hoses.

20 minutes ago, wakesetta12 said:

Are some of the hoses on the old unit sucking water or are they all pumping water in/pushing water out??

You should have had one set of hoses pushing water into your manifolds.  You also probably had one set that coupled the manifolds together (the crossover).  Under normal conditions the crossover should have no flow in it.  All of the water then dumped out of the manifolds into the exhaust stream at the rear.

For the EXTCATs there is 1 more water port.  So my new ones I don't have them connected together.  

Here is how I have them hooked up. Numbered 1 to front port, 2 to middle, 3 to dump. Same on both sides. If I had the 2 connected to eachother I'd have a water hose that isn't connected to anything.

https://imgur.com/a/D8egPex

Here is pics of the oem ones.

They have 4 water ports including the one that connected the 2.

https://imgur.com/a/7VaeDpj

https://imgur.com/a/LYVEUzk

For these my understanding was one port was for certain cylinders only. 

To post images from Imgur, use their "Copy Link" button and then come here and use the "Other Media | Insert Image from URL" button.  Add ".jpg" to the end of the link you paste from Imgur.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would hook the hoses to the same relative ports you had on the ETXCATs.  It looks like that is pretty much what you have done.  I would also ignore the crossover and use the anodes to drain your manifolds.

As for the fittings, I would not use that gray plastic sprinkler fitting.  It is not made to take hot water.  I would use either brass, stainless, or the GANN black plastic ones.

Yes, I have ordered the GANN black plastic ones.  I think I am good to go, the only question I guess is if I have 1 and 3 correct.  From my pictures I can't tell on the original set up.  I can't seem to find a diagram online either.   Thanks for all your help!

From looking at some pictures of other engines, it looks like the hose I numbered 1 would leave that port and go to the dump.  I have hose #3 going to the dump.  Would that cause a lower than normal engine temp or issues? Or unrelated?

I looked for hours to find a hose diagram/thermostat water flow for this engine with the extcats, but had no luck 

Thanks, do you suggest I run the hoses like they do in the re-plumb?  The diagrams they have on there I don't quite understand as those are V-drives.  But I think I see the way the re-plumb would be.

Update: Switched hose 1 and 3 and it solved the issue.  

Edited by wakesetta12
update