Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Marine stereo

hlum07

I recently added a sub and another amp to power the sub in my boat. I am having issues where the sub will not function typically after any volume above mid volume. The amp is getting power but the green ok light stays off. I bought a capacitor thinking it would help which I haven't installed yet after reading other posts in this forum. Even with the sub off I can see the volt meter ticking every time the bass hits on the regular speakers. Any advice how to fix this. I also am running dual batteries with a cut off switch which is why popular opinion was to not install a capacitor as I would have to slow charge it back up every time I took the boat out of storage 

14 hours ago, hlum07 said:

I bought a capacitor thinking it would help which I haven't installed yet

Id go ahead an return it. It will not resolve your issue and will not help the system moving forward. 

The first symptom sounds like the woofer is too low of an impedance for the amp. Did you choose the pairing or did a sales rep help you? I always like to suggest reaching out to your equipment source for assistance. They can help make sure you get a proper pairing and everything is setup and tuned correctly.

Seeing low or dipping voltage even with the woofer off, point to an issue that was already there or accidently induced during the installation of the new amp. Chasing down voltage issues is going to require a hand held volt meter.