Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vesconite/Glide strut bearings - super tight

psiedtsi

I just replaced my strut bearings with the OJ Vesconite bearings. They seem to be great and super smooth, except when I tighten the set screws. Once I do that, and they are definitely not overtightened, I can't spin the shaft by hand. If I back them out maybe 1/4th turn, it turns more freely.

Is this intended function? This is the first time I have had new bearings in my boat so not really sure how it's supposed to present itself.

Thanks!

Edited by psiedtsi

It doesn't take much force on those set screws to impede shaft rotation.  I had that same issue last year when I replaced my bushings.  I snugged up the set screw a bit and couldn't turn the prop very easily.  I backed it out a bit until the prop would turn easily by hand again.  I have a bunch of hours on the boat since then with no issues.

On 9/22/2022 at 10:37 AM, Bozboat said:

Vesconite bearings should be less friction than the older rubber water lubricated bearings, On my boat it is easy to turn the propeller by hand  How does your alignment look?

Everything spins freely and alignment is <.0015", it just gets tight when I spin down the set screw.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:44 PM, UWSkier said:

It doesn't take much force on those set screws to impede shaft rotation.  I had that same issue last year when I replaced my bushings.  I snugged up the set screw a bit and couldn't turn the prop very easily.  I backed it out a bit until the prop would turn easily by hand again.  I have a bunch of hours on the boat since then with no issues.

Thank you, this is exactly what I did. When I took it out of the water, I went to check the set screws and bearings, I realized I was able to run the screws down a bit more which caused it to tighten up considerably. My bearings didn't seem to move at all and everything seems smooth, so I backed them both out like maybe 1/4 turn.