Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2013 Surf Gate won't retract

I have seen a number of other posts on this type of problem, but it appears that the 2013 controls were a bit different (no service mode to help with diagnostics).  Yesterday we were unable to get the starboard gate to retract.  It appeared to be intermittent a couple of times during the day, but at the end of the day it would not move.  Earlier this summer I had noticed that it had not fully retracted all the way to the platform, but I was able to get it corrected by engaging the surf gate and  accelerating to 10 MPH and stopping - problem solved.

I have tried a couple of full boat power resets, I have run the surf gate calibration via the software, and I have done a Malivue Factory reset with no luck.  When doing the surfgatge calibration, I can hear the motor engaging, but that may be the port gate, which still appears to work as expected.  The indicator on the touchscreen appears to "think" that all is well.  Yellow indicator when not moving, which turns to green after getting to speed, and then back to yellow after stopping.  I am also not getting a warning of overspeed since the boat thinks that the gate is retracted.  I am not getting any errors or warnings on the das - no overcurrent alarm as others have reported.

Any ideas on where and how to start troubleshooting?  Boat is on a lift and I likely won't be back there for several weeks, but I want to get a plan in place to try to address before it gets too cold if this c an be fixed without pulling the boat out and maybe have a few more days on the water!

9 minutes ago, wdr said:

A buddy had this same problem on his 2013. Had to take it to the dealer and update his soft ware. No problems since. 

Was this recently?  I have 400+ hours on the boat and it seems like a 8-9 year old software problem would have been discovered before now.

5 minutes ago, wdr said:

Yes, earlier this summer. He has about 300 hours on his. You never know with computers. I am about half convinced the problem I had on my 2019 was because I am using my iPhone on it. 

Interesting...

Check the connectors on the surf gate controller and the actuator to see if they are worn or corroded.  A faulty actuator or internal failure of the controller could also cause issues.

I have seen over-tightened or stuck fasteners between the surf gate mount and actuator cause similar problems.  You should be able to easily rotate the bolt that connects the actuator to the surf gate mounting bracket.  If the bolt and nut are too tight, or jammed, the surf gate actuator may not work properly. 

1 hour ago, amartin said:

I have seen a number of other posts on this type of problem, but it appears that the 2013 controls were a bit different (no service mode to help with diagnostics).  Yesterday we were unable to get the starboard gate to retract.  It appeared to be intermittent a couple of times during the day, but at the end of the day it would not move.  Earlier this summer I had noticed that it had not fully retracted all the way to the platform, but I was able to get it corrected by engaging the surf gate and  accelerating to 10 MPH and stopping - problem solved.

I have tried a couple of full boat power resets, I have run the surf gate calibration via the software, and I have done a Malivue Factory reset with no luck.  When doing the surfgatge calibration, I can hear the motor engaging, but that may be the port gate, which still appears to work as expected.  The indicator on the touchscreen appears to "think" that all is well.  Yellow indicator when not moving, which turns to green after getting to speed, and then back to yellow after stopping.  I am also not getting a warning of overspeed since the boat thinks that the gate is retracted.  I am not getting any errors or warnings on the das - no overcurrent alarm as others have reported.

Any ideas on where and how to start troubleshooting?  Boat is on a lift and I likely won't be back there for several weeks, but I want to get a plan in place to try to address before it gets too cold if this c an be fixed without pulling the boat out and maybe have a few more days on the water!

Something similar happened to me a few weeks ago.  My boat is a 2017 and I tried all the recalibrations on the screen but nothing worked.  Eventually I got to the point where both surf gates were stuck out.  I checked with my dealer and they told me how to get them back in by pressing the the red button on the actuator.  I couldn't get it pushed in.  As I went from the platform back into the boat, two of the breakers on the back wall on the backside of the port side rear seat were tripped.  There was a yellow lever that comes down when it is tripped.  This is the first time I have seen this.  As soon as I pushed them back in, the gates went back in.  I am not 100% sure what tripped it other than a wave from another boat hit us pretty good while we were out surfing.  There is a little bit of exposed wire around that connects to the actuators that I am wondering if that caused the breaker to trip.

51 minutes ago, csleaver said:

Check the connectors on the surf gate controller and the actuator to see if they are worn or corroded.  A faulty actuator or internal failure of the controller could also cause issues.

I have seen over-tightened or stuck fasteners between the surf gate mount and actuator cause similar problems.  You should be able to easily rotate the bolt that connects the actuator to the surf gate mounting bracket.  If the bolt and nut are too tight, or jammed, the surf gate actuator may not work properly. 

I haven't even begun to look at this.  Where is the controller located on a 2013 - 247?

32 minutes ago, csleaver said:

The surf gate controller is a rectangular black Medallion box attached to the transom at the rear of the engine compartment.  The connector has a center retaining screw.

Thanks.  I will take a look here next time I am near the boat.

I was able to take a quick look at this last night.  The two wire connectors between the Medallion box and the actuators both looked good.  I swapped the leads and the behavior was the same.  When hooked up to the port wiring, the starboard side actuator does not attempt to run.  The port actuator is successfully energized by the starboard side control wiring.  I didn't test this in operation, only using the surf gate calibration function.   While I didn't remove the actuator connection points as indicated above, they certainly were not in a bind, as there is a slight bit of play in the gate, just as there is on the still working gate.  Is there any possible explanation other than a failed actuator at this point. 

Does the replacement actuator include the wiring all the way back to the two wire connector or is there another connection point downstream?  Any reason that this repair can't be done with the boat on a lift (other than dropping parts in the water!)?

If there was no change after swapping the harness connectors, the port actuator moves, but the starboard actuator will not, then I would expect you have a bad starboard actuator.  The replacement should come with wiring to the grey Deutsche connector, which is the only one between the control box and the actuator. 

7 minutes ago, csleaver said:

If there was no change after swapping the harness connectors, the port actuator moves, but the starboard actuator will not, then I would expect you have a bad starboard actuator.  The replacement should come with wiring to the grey Deutsche connector, which is the only one between the control box and the actuator. 

Thanks for the confirmation!

• 3 weeks later...

Got around to replacing the actuator this weekend.  Not too terribly bad to do.  I did it with the boat on the lift and did not remove the platform, which made it a bit more difficult, but was still possible.  I was surprised with the lack of sophistication of the "seal" on the hull penetration of the wiring.  Essentially just a hole with a pretty tight fit to the cable OD, backed up with some silicone sealant packing the mounting plate.  The Deutsche connector was crazy easy to assemble to complete the wiring side of things.  This really is a play and play replacement.

The "hardware kit" that came with the actuator included new bolts / nylock washers for each end of the actuator as well as 2 x delrin dowel pins.  Anyone know what the dowel pins are for?  Perhaps another application for the same actuator?  I didn't see nay use for them on my project.