Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Stolen 2016 Malibu

MalibuGlenn

My 2016 M235 was stolen, Malibu says they can't help. With all the GPS and technology in my boat there has got to be a way to locate. Any body have any experience with this, I am not a tech person, just seems logical?

I think that you have a valid point - that for the cost, they could have added the option of some tech that tracks the location of your boat like a LoJack system. However, due to the low likelihood of having a theft situation, I'm not sure I would have added the option. Also, I probably wouldn't have paid for the subscription. Needless to say, I'd regret that decision if something happened. 

I have heard of people using a device like an Apply AirTag as a cheap option that will probably help with tracking your own device, in this case, your boat. 

Sorry some a-hole got your boat. Maybe you could share how they got you so it doesn't happen to one of us. In the meantime, look on the market for used '16 M235's that have been wrapped with some crazy color that's the opposite of your boat. If you find one, 99% chance it's yours.

40 minutes ago, MalibuGlenn said:

My 2016 M235 was stolen, Malibu says they can't help. With all the GPS and technology in my boat there has got to be a way to locate. Any body have any experience with this, I am not a tech person, just seems logical?

Post a photo of your boat and we can all watch for it.  Slim chance, of course, but it is better than nothing.

• Like 2

File insurance claim and buy a new one.  The boats that I have seen recovered in the past are not the sort of thing you want back.

Malibu would have no reason or incentive to put tracking devices in their boats unless they sold a service related to it.

• Like 4

Definitely post a photo. Its a small world when it comes to Malibu owners and there are a ton of eyes to look out for it. A stolen Bayliner wouldn’t get a second look. An M235 new to the area will be screaming at a Crew member!

Unfortunately I bought it only a few weeks ago and have no pics of it. I had it on trailer on my parking pad next to the house and came home the other day and it was gone. All I could see was black truck from ring doorbell.

If it has sirus satalite radio, that can be tracked… or if he connects Spotify to a wifi, the IP will be tracked by Spotify or other used apps, especially Google. 

Don’t know how much help they will be in tracking it as a company as even with warrants, they are sometimes difficult to deal with. 

I agree with @oldjeep, file the police report and an insurance claim.  The insurance will take a vested interest in recovering the insured asset.  Whether they do or don't you get made whole.  I'm not sure of the registration laws in Georgia but in Utah we have to re-register annually, they won't be able to do that without the title. It may take a year but eventually it may come back but not likely in a condition that you would like to have it back and at that point it would belong to the insurance company.

I'll end with saying I hate thieves.  Nothing makes me more mad and feel more violated than someone that takes something of mine that I worked hard to earn.  Sorry for your loss and best of luck in the recovery.

The folks that steal boats like this can't use them? Trailer plates, hull vin's, getting the necessary state tags. Do surfers/skers alter hull id's, etc. to do their sport? Or do these end up chopped up and sold? Why? and thanks UWSkier, those tags sound awesome.

Steve B. 

2 hours ago, Rack said:

Second post?   I'm always suspicious.   No Pictures?  how about registration Numbers.

Maybe this is the guy who stole the boat and is asking the crew if they can track it  so he can't get caught.

Sorry if I sound  skeptical. 

In this world of cell phone cameras and you didn't take pictures of your new Boat, Really.  

I don’t have any photos of my new to me RLXI.   Had it for a few months now.  Didn’t occur to me that I needed photos. 

air tags work great and are cheap, about $30.  Down side is they do notify you that they are around, so not the perfect tracking device as a smart thief will look for them.  

On the Air Tag my strategy is to put it in a very hard to access place.  Hope is that the thief will be told of the tracking and abandon if they can't find the tag.  If they are not warned then you have a chance to find.

11 hours ago, Steve B. said:

The folks that steal boats like this can't use them? Trailer plates, hull vin's, getting the necessary state tags. Do surfers/skers alter hull id's, etc. to do their sport? Or do these end up chopped up and sold? Why? and thanks UWSkier, those tags sound awesome.

Steve B. 

I sold my first boat to a cop. He said he doubted he’d register it. Chance of getting a ticket being lower than the cost of the registration or something like that. I mean even if local LEO pulls you over on the water and you “don’t have“ your registration are they really going to impound your boat?  Or just write you a ticket?  

same for the trailer. I drove around for years with a trailer plate in the glovebox because the mount for the plate broke off of the trailer.   It was registered and I had the plate, but you couldn’t tell that as I drove down the highway. 

not that I’m advocating having a stolen boat. But I do think it’s probably possible to get away with for quite a while. 

Guess it depends on how big a body of water you boat on. It looks like you boat on some pretty big bodies of water. The average width of the river here is @ 450 wide so it’s hard to be inconspicuous. The local fire department and LEO to include city, county and the wildlife resource agency all have boats so we are saturated with them as well. They check for 3 things here with their binoculars. Registration, booze and boobs. If you are a new boat that they don’t recognize, it’s an automatic hello. I generally can’t complain about them. 

1 hour ago, wdr said:

Guess it depends on how big a body of water you boat on. It looks like you boat on some pretty big bodies of water. The average width of the river here is @ 450 wide so it’s hard to be inconspicuous. The local fire department and LEO to include city, county and the wildlife resource agency all have boats so we are saturated with them as well. They check for 3 things here with their binoculars. Registration, booze and boobs. If you are a new boat that they don’t recognize, it’s an automatic hello. I generally can’t complain about them. 

that's fair.  On our primary lake I have never ever ever ever had an encounter with law enforcement.  They are very rarely even on the water.  Like 4th of July and Labor Day only.  Otherwise, it's just anarchy.

Every other lake I've been on I have received the "hello." (I'm lucky like that) But I've never even been asked to produce my registration.  Only show my throwable and fire extinguisher, or show that we have vests for everyone.  

• Like 3

In the states I boat (CO, UT, WY and NE) they are trying to prevent the spread of ANS/AIS. There are inspectors with hand held devices that track where you have been. Colorado won’t let you launch without inspection. Wyoming has stations at the border crossings as well as at many lakes. I assume that is tied into registration as well. 

14 hours ago, Steve B. said:

Steve B. 

Depends I suppose.  There are so many lakes in MN that a sheriff would never be seen on, nobody would notice the lack of reg

Anyone else find it intriguing that @MalibuGlenn hasn't made a single post since Thursday?  AND, after @Rack called he or she out for potentially stealing the boat?  If my boat was stolen I'd be using this resource and wonderful community of people to help track it down.  No reg #?  No boat ID #?  No information whatsoever to the people that look over every Malibu they see?  I don't know... 

@MalibuGlenn if your boat was really stolen then I am terribly sorry.  I would be really hurt, frustrated and really angry because it takes a lot of hard work to afford a boat like that.  If it was stolen give us more details and we would all love to help you out.  All great people here. 

If you stole it, go **** ******** 

• Like 2