Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can you add a ballast system to 2002 Sunscape LSV

Dmoney24

So my 2002 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV actually has a single pump you can place in the ski locker/center (was not hooked up when i bought so never used).  The drain plug in the locker is no more, and actually was retro fitted and has a pipe coming out (presumably pump drew water from here to fill bag in ski locker).  My question is if there is any way to set up a ballast system that allows you to fill not only this center bag, but also the bow bag and both the right and left bags in the lockers using a single pump, or from that source of water in center ski locker?  I know there is a MLS switch on the dash, not sure how that would come into play.  The throwing the tsunami pump over to fill or empty each of the fat sacs is fine, but looking for something more convenient.  Thanks!   

Fill pumps need access to water below the water line.  Filling four bags with a single pump would be excruciatingly slow, and would likely require a complicated system of valves to redirect flow once the lowest bag is invariably full first.

Better is to drill new through-hulls and install pumps for each sack.  Reversible pumps are a little more expensive initially, but are much more DIY friendly (much less sensitive to passive filling and draining than aerator pumps, where you need one to fill and one to drain on each bag).

image.png.c68fb396ec7b061ec664ce51494e20fc.png

This is the most factory-like setup with a reversible pump.  Water drains over the side when full or when dumping.

image.png.338000cf0d55d7a4bb56d868443f5e3c.png

This is a slightly easier to set up way to do it, where the water vents out the side when the bag is full, but fills and drains from the bottom of the boat.  This setup requires you to pay attention when draining to make sure not to run the pump dry (you can burn up the impeller that way).  You can even get away without the vent if you are diligent to make sure you don't overfill the sac (risky!).

image.png.eb79a63bd996f8eb9a482d07db20379f.png

Here's a setup to fill two bags at once with one pump.  This would work for rear locker bags.  You'd have no ability to fine tune the fill between the two bags, and it'd obviously take 2x as long as having two pumps.  But it'd work if you are budget conscious and you could always add a second pump later on.

Yes.  I have the same hull and run a 5 bag system (bow, ski locker, rear lockers, under port seat).  All on reversible impeller pumps and factory switches.  Just takes time and money to do it right.  You also need 400-500lbs of lead to really get the most out of this hull along with the ballast.

Mine all drain above the water line, all vented.  One pump for everything except the front and ski locker bags.  I have an expensive (and discontinued) diverter valve that I switch between that works really well and is easily reached from the driver seat, so I didn't feel a 5th pump was necessary.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:28 PM, Nitrousbird said:

Yes.  I have the same hull and run a 5 bag system (bow, ski locker, rear lockers, under port seat).  All on reversible impeller pumps and factory switches.  Just takes time and money to do it right.  You also need 400-500lbs of lead to really get the most out of this hull along with the ballast.

Mine all drain above the water line, all vented.  One pump for everything except the front and ski locker bags.  I have an expensive (and discontinued) diverter valve that I switch between that works really well and is easily reached from the driver seat, so I didn't feel a 5th pump was necessary.

So I’ve got the 4 bags (no bag under observer seat).  So need 4 pumps?  What model pump do I need.  And do I have two lines going to each bag?  One for filling and one for draining?  Do you have pics or list of what I’m looking at?  And how do I switch each pump to either fill or drain?  Thanks much!

50 minutes ago, Dmoney24 said:

So I’ve got the 4 bags (no bag under observer seat).  So need 4 pumps?  What model pump do I need.  And do I have two lines going to each bag?  One for filling and one for draining?  Do you have pics or list of what I’m looking at?  And how do I switch each pump to either fill or drain?  Thanks much!

Each bag has two lines - one for the fill/drain at the bottom of the bag, and one for the vent.  You also need Y connections and one-way valves so that when you drain it goes above water instead of back under the boat.  Cheaper/easier to go under the boat but harder to monitor - buy once, cry once and do it right above the waterline.  You can use the vents for drains as well or have additional thru-hulls for the drains.  I used the vents but would do additional thru-hulls if I were to do it again - cost would be similar but is a cleaner/simpler install.

I'm using the Johnson impeller pumps, but the Jabsco pumps are basically the same.  Wakemakers has their own branded pump that I'm sure is similar as well.  You switch the pumps from fill to drain with the rocker switch for each pump on the dash - pretty easy to wire up.  I don't have a list as I put my setup together about 10 years ago and have just tweaked it since.  You will need 4 pumps; I'd say 3 with a diverter valve but the one that installs nicely where you would want it isn't available anymore and the other alternatives just aren't good for easy use IMO...if mine ever broke I'd just install a 5th pump.

I have 3 bags in a 2003 WS23LSV. 1000lbs in each trunk and a 400lb in the ski locker. 6 total pumps - 1200gph Atwood Tsunami. 1 to fill each bag and 1 to drain each bag. Each fill pump is attached to a brass valve thats attached to the thru hull holes on the bottom of the boat in the bilge area - total of 3 holes. Each drain pump is attached directly to the bottom of each bag and the exit hose runs out a thru hull on the side of the gunnel. All pumps are wired to switches on the dash. For bow weight theres 800 lbs steel/lead under the bow seats. Bags fill in about 10 minutes or so - never really timed it - thats how long it takes us to drive thru the marina no wake zone to the play ground

I echo all the thing said here.  I also have a reversible pump on diverter valve to an "aux hose" to fill up bags on various seats or locations.  I have an extension for this aux hose so its about 12ft long.  I use it more as a hose to wash off dirty dogs and/or people, spray kids, clean off the deck of a houseboat or just cleaning gear from shore ( IE, inflatables that have been washing up on the beach while shore camping). If your boat is anything like mine, the low point on the trailer is no where near a drain plug, I use it to pump out the bilge as well. 

If you scroll pretty far down on page 3, you can see my install. 

Edited by twitchee2
  • Like 1