Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV Ballast

cbern1000

I recently ordered a 23 LSV and I wanted to know what you would recommend as additional ballast for wakeboarding. I am not looking for a "pro" size wake or anything like that, but it would be nice if I could fine tune the wake and increase the size as need be. It would also be great if I could use the additional ballast for wakesurfing as well.

Note that the boat has the full MLS system and a power wedge. In addition, does anyone know what size ballast bags you can fit in the rear locker of this boat?

Thanks for your help!

750lb. pro-x for the lockers and a couple of 400lb. sacs one for the back seat and one for the bow on the surf side...that will get you this and more with the power wedge.

Edited by RiverRunner
750lb. pro-x for the lockers and a couple of 400lb. sacs one for the back seat and one for the bow on the surf side...that will get you this and more with the power wedge.

Wow and I thought my good looks and natural charm would get me a girl like that Surprised.gif

He asked about wakeboarding so I think your description may be a little bit overkill. I would try out the stock ballast first before adding anything for boarding. Now if you are surfing....listen to the Texas crew

And he has the benefit of the 200 or so in the "hidden" floor tanks in the lockers. Would have to re-plumb a bit to pull it off I recon.

On a side note...do they drain remotely for those floor tanks? Where is the drain pump exactly? Since it is most often on the lowest part of the bag/tank...if it is relatively (if not totally) inaccessible...where do they put it.

Just a passing thought I had...

Scott

Oh and welcome to the site, too! How rude of me!!! LOL

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

cbern1000 - WELCOME to the site!

You're going to love your 23 LSV. It's da bomb!

You're not going to need anything to enhance the wakeboaring wake. If you're not looking for a 'pro' wake, then try riding without the Wedge. If you want the pro effect you can lower the wedge as needed.

To get a wakesurfable wake:

Fill all your ballast

- minus the REAR locker that you won't be surfing on.

For example, if the rider is going to be on the port side (regular foot side) then empty the starboard rear locker tank. But make sure the rear port locker tank is full.

To make it bigger - which means more fun - add people to the rear seat on the side that the rider is on. Add a fat sac to that same rear locker (as mentioned, you can add as much as a 750# sac in there). You'll also want some weight in the bow to even it out.

You can surf on it though without the extra weight. The extra weight just makes the wake bigger, and easier to ride.

Glad you made it to the site. Post some pics when you get the new ride.

Thanks, I apprecaite the help!

I am looking forward to getting the boat.

cbern1000 - WELCOME to the site!

You're going to love your 23 LSV. It's da bomb!

You're not going to need anything to enhance the wakeboaring wake. If you're not looking for a 'pro' wake, then try riding without the Wedge. If you want the pro effect you can lower the wedge as needed.

To get a wakesurfable wake:

Fill all your ballast

- minus the REAR locker that you won't be surfing on.

For example, if the rider is going to be on the port side (regular foot side) then empty the starboard rear locker tank. But make sure the rear port locker tank is full.

To make it bigger - which means more fun - add people to the rear seat on the side that the rider is on. Add a fat sac to that same rear locker (as mentioned, you can add as much as a 750# sac in there). You'll also want some weight in the bow to even it out.

You can surf on it though without the extra weight. The extra weight just makes the wake bigger, and easier to ride.

Glad you made it to the site. Post some pics when you get the new ride.

Don't sweat the weight for now, ride behind it first. With all of the stock ballast, you'll have a lot of shaping ability with that boat from the factory. For surfing, you will need extra to get a good wave, but start stock & use the power wedge to see what you can get. Then add weight in different areas to see how the boat reacts.

In general:

Wakeboarding

~ More weight up front makes the wake rampier with a longer, smoother transition

~ More weight in the back makes it steeper with less transition, & sometimes a trough

Surfing

~ More weight in the back (in the trunk) makes a taller, steeper wave that's easier to "fall out the back"

~ More weight in the cabin makes a longer wave that isn't quite as tall, but has a much larger, longer sweet spot & is usually easier to stay in

Power wedge settings & speed plays a part in all of this as well. Start stock & get to know your boat before you start adding weight.