Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

In-Line Fuel filter(s) on Malibu Boats

After reading several posts on this topic regarding malibu boats I am not sure if my specific boat (1998 Malibu Sportster w/ Indmar 310 HP V-8) has an in-line fuel filter.  I've read that if these boats are carburated they may only have a spin-off filter just before the fuel pump, which mine is and has.  However, a service invoice I have from the dealer who did service includes a WIX 33299 fuel filter listed, but I am unable to locate it.  Can you clarify this for me.  Thanks.

My 99 Sportster with the same engine only has the spin-on water separator before the pump like you have. I've heard the same thing about the carb'd boats - no inline filter, just the water separator.

9 hours ago, drh said:

My 99 Sportster with the same engine only has the spin-on water separator before the pump like you have. I've heard the same thing about the carb'd boats - no inline filter, just the water separator.

Thanks drh.  I've checked the fuel line from the gas tank to the engine, wherever it is accessible, and have found no in-line filter, so I will be assuming there is none.  You have confirmed my decision.  Thanks again.  

P.S. - Interesting that on two occasions a dealer charged me for an in-line filter when winterizing my boat.  Wonder where they put it??  I now service the boat myself.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 10:32 PM, GENO said:

After reading several posts on this topic regarding malibu boats I am not sure if my specific boat (1998 Malibu Sportster w/ Indmar 310 HP V-8) has an in-line fuel filter.  I've read that if these boats are carburated they may only have a spin-off filter just before the fuel pump, which mine is and has.  However, a service invoice I have from the dealer who did service includes a WIX 33299 fuel filter listed, but I am unable to locate it.  Can you clarify this for me.  Thanks.

i have a 99 sunsetter. there is a fuel filter located just after the fuel shut off valve located on top of the tank. was your standard crappy stock metal one, i replaced it with a glass one from auto zone made for boats. i had fuel issues at the time. i had to clean out the line intake at the engine. there are other post that address this issue. so i decided to replace the filter with a nicer one. worked great for 4 years then starting having fuel issues again. but this time i was able to see that the fuel filter was clogged solid with rust. to it off cleaned it put it back on, ran great for a month then the same thing. so here it is at the end of the season and decided to investigate, pulled the fuel sending unit out and it was rusted all up. should note that the fuel gage stopped working about 2 years ago. i looked into to the tank and saw all kinds of crap in there. so i decided to pull the tank. surprisingly easy. now im looking for a new sending unit to install. really dont want some cheap China crap from amazon. so here i am.

moral of the story. replace the cheap small metal filter with a nice glass one and when the gas gage stops working, replace the sending unit before it craps out your tank with rust

just my $.02   

19 minutes ago, justgary said:

@Phil12586 - Now is a good time to change your fuel hoses if you still have your tank out.

yes i was thinking the same thing, also should note that there is 2 grease fittings on the rudder that i will be hitting as well. 

Just now, Phil12586 said:

yes i was thinking the same thing, also should note that there is 2 grease fittings on the rudder that i will be hitting as well. 

Nice.  Don't forget to change the vent hose as well.  I also changed the filler hose, but it was sort of a pain to do.

Only put about two shots of grease into each zerk.  Any more and you risk blowing the seal.

1 minute ago, justgary said:

Nice.  Don't forget to change the vent hose as well.  I also changed the filler hose, but it was sort of a pain to do.

Only put about two shots of grease into each zerk.  Any more and you risk blowing the seal.

nice, thanks for the tip

32 minutes ago, Phil12586 said:

any advise on were to get a new fuel sending unit?

I don't remember the brand, but somebody makes a stainless one that uses a magnetic float and hall effect sensors.  It doesn't have the best resolution, but should last quite a while.

16 hours ago, justgary said:

I've also launched the key out of the top of the keyway while applying grease. Took forever to find that key once I concluded what that noise was.

17 hours ago, justgary said:

I don't remember the brand, but somebody makes a stainless one that uses a magnetic float and hall effect sensors.  It doesn't have the best resolution, but should last quite a while.

I couldn't get floating arm fuel senders to align right, so I purchased this for my 99 VLX and its working perfectly. KUS Reed switch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y831IMY

Be cautious about the screw threads on fuel senders and make sure they match the old ones.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Baggerlance said:

Be cautious about the screw threads on fuel senders and make sure they match the old ones.

This, good call ... I had to use fuel resistant RTV to get mine to seal up good after I changed my sender. Pretty sure my tank warped slightly and didn't seal tight, even with the new rubber gasket. 

20 hours ago, justgary said:

You may be talking about Wema senders. My 6" sender has 7 sensors inside, so your gauge only reads at 8 different spots. When my gauge reads empty, I have 3 gallons left.