Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do I fix my 20 degree steering slop?

I noticed a 20 degree slop in the steering, which seems to be getting progressively worse. Does anyone know the cure? Do I replace the steering cable? the steering wheel column? lube the rudder box? or all three?

Thanks.

First, narrow it down by grabbing an extra pair of hands to hold the rudder.  Rock the wheel back and forth watching the tiller.  Also peel back the steering tilt bellows and look for slop.

• Like 3

If there is no slop in the tilt unit (which is the most likely suspect).  Then also check the block where the cable gets held to the hull near the rudder.  If that block comes off or gets really loose it will also cause a lot of slop.

Depends on what you have now.  The tilt unit takes a standard keyed wheel or adapter.  If your current wheel has an adapter then you have the choice of anything that attaches to a keyed column or whatever bolt pattern your adapter is.

• 2 weeks later...