Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Remove decals and polish

zornman

So I have a 2011 Wakesetter in extreme green. I am tired of the dated graphics and thinking about removing them. What are the chances that I will be able to polish enough to match the exposed and recently revealed areas without working most of the way through the gel? I'd hate to go purchase another graphic that I just removed. Thanks for any insight.

• 2 weeks later...

I stripped my 03 this spring. The boat is all white so I would guess the ghosting is slightly less than it would be with a color, especially a darker one. A day with a buffer and some medium rubbing compound then polishing with wax took out about 98% of the ghosting. The only times I can see it now is at very specific angles in the light and when there is lake scum on the hull, it sticks differently on the areas where the decals used to be. 

Take a look at the Meguires line of marine products. They have lots of variety as far as how aggressive you want to be and what kind of finish you are after.

Might be worthwhile to strip and polish something small like the “VLX” or “LSV” on the transom as a test run. You can get replacement logos/decals from domednumbers.com they are awesome. 

Good luck, here’s a couple pics of my update from the tribal graphic. If you look closely you can see the very slight ghosting, this is after cutting and polishing the hull. I would stock up on beer and podcasts before you start the project.

E5FD129C-C318-410E-9A3C-BBFA63EEDAB4.jpeg

87A95A8D-63EF-485C-A9E8-5A048D27AB98.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, Billy. I've used light Meguires polish on the boat a couple of times for oxidation. Boat looks like new afterwards, but I am sure it is 'not quite' new and will have some ghosting as you say. That is a good idea to test a small decal. I'll have to pick one to try out. I am tired of the old graphics and think I just want to remove them so this will be a good test.

• 2 weeks later...

The decals on mine were pulled in early 2011 by the original owner of my 2001, right before selling it to me.  Boat lived its first life on a covered lift.  

2022, after many wipe downs, washes, machine polishing (including the product mentioned above), you can still see the ghost of Malibu.  You absolutely can't see it in pictures and even in person under many lighting conditions, but it is still there.  Being that the boat has been garage kept since I bought it likely hasn't helped from a sun fading it perspective, but that's the reality.  I'm sure a wet sanding would get the job done, but not worth it to me.