Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Chevy Avalanche for towing

G-Pac

Those 2500 Avalanche's are supposed to be wicked! Problem with them is that when you CAN find one with the 8.1L in it, it will likely have been USED quite a bit. 3/4 ton Avalanche with an 8.1L in it would be one awesome, stump pulling rig! Found one on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-A...090778063QQrdZ1

Some distance away from you tho.

Let us know what you decide and/or find.

FYI...a little birdie told me today that (next month) in March 2007, that GM will be making all CERTIFIED USED vehicles standard with a 6yr/100,000 mile powertrain warranty....again, that is on CERTIFIED USED supposedly. That might add a degree of confidence in purchasing a used truck off a dealer lot.

Interesting tid bit, I thought.

Scott

I have been looking for a Avalanche 2500 but have only found a single used one within 100 miles of Annapolis MD, and it was in very rough shape with >100k miles.

CHEERS!

G-Pac

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

I have an 03 Z71 Avalanche with 185,000 miles on it and it is a towing machine! I have towed many 23LSV between here and Knoxville with it (got stopped for doing 85 towing LSV, oops!). I believe it has 3.73 rearend, but not for sure. Gas mileage is not so ggod towing, but it's very hilly here and it does fine! I am waiting to get a new one in the fall, 2008 baby! Chevy_anim.gif

post-161-1171508972_thumb.jpg

We tow our 23LSV with our '94 1500 Z71 (205K miles, 5.7L V8), with no issues, other than the gas mileage sucking while towing. I think 4WD is probably the most important thing, IMHO, mainly for pulling the boat out of the water. I've seen so many trucks struggle to pull their boats out; we just drop ours into 4-Lo, put it in D1, and just creep it out. Not a single slip.

So, the Avalanche 1500 Z71 will have no problems, I would think. As long as you get one without all of the rubbermaid stuff on it. ;)

I have a 2004 Avalanche 2500 with 4.10 gears and I used to own a 2002 Avalanche 1500 with 5.3 3.42. Ours has 77k miles and I am considering selling it if you're interested. It is loaded with DVD player and the works.

Our main purpose is occasionally towing a HEAVY aluminum 4-STAR 2-horse trailer, so a little different than the LSV. With both horses this is at least 9000 lbs. The real issue that forced us from the 1500 to the 2500 was the very soft rear suspension in the 1500 Avalanche and Suburban (we had both). It caused the rear end to drop into a seriously dangerous position for the front end. It was so soft, we had to use a weight distributing platform even when the trailer was totally empty, due to the tongue weight/balance of the trailer. The various air bags and gizmos that worked on the older truck chassis don't work on these newer ones because they don't have leaf springs any more.

The 2500 with 8.1liter with 4.10 gears can tow most anything imaginable with ease, but you pay dearly in everyday driving at 10-12mpg max. What makes it better than most trucks is the utility you get to haul people in comfort like a suburban as well as gear if need be under the covered section in the back. Since it is in fact a cut up suburban the ride is also far superior to a 3/4t crew cab pickup. There are great vehicles and we've had not a lick of trouble with them both. I can't say that for the GM passenger cars though.

The

I have a 2004 Avalanche 2500 with 4.10 gears and I used to own a 2002 Avalanche 1500 with 5.3 3.42. Ours has 77k miles and I am considering selling it if you're interested. It is loaded with DVD player and the works.

Our main purpose is occasionally towing a HEAVY aluminum 4-STAR 2-horse trailer, so a little different than the LSV. With both horses this is at least 9000 lbs. The real issue that forced us from the 1500 to the 2500 was the very soft rear suspension in the 1500 Avalanche and Suburban (we had both). It caused the rear end to drop into a seriously dangerous position for the front end. It was so soft, we had to use a weight distributing platform even when the trailer was totally empty, due to the tongue weight/balance of the trailer. The various air bags and gizmos that worked on the older truck chassis don't work on these newer ones because they don't have leaf springs any more.

The 2500 with 8.1liter with 4.10 gears can tow most anything imaginable with ease, but you pay dearly in everyday driving at 10-12mpg max. What makes it better than most trucks is the utility you get to haul people in comfort like a suburban as well as gear if need be under the covered section in the back. Since it is in fact a cut up suburban the ride is also far superior to a 3/4t crew cab pickup. There are great vehicles and we've had not a lick of trouble with them both. I can't say that for the GM passenger cars though.

The

The weight distributing hitch is a far better arrangement than air bags or suspension half-measures. The rear end may sag with a trailer, but pushing it back up with air shocks with only prevent the hitch from dragging on the ground - it won't put any more weight on the front wheels for appropriate steering and braking - you need a weight distributing hitch for that. Look at the weight limit placards for you vehicle with and without weight distribution. I can't even begin to imagine hauling our 2-horse trailer without a weight distributing hitch. IMHO any vehicle hauling a trailer with GVW more than 2/3 the trucks max tow rating NEEDS such a hitch.

The

The weight distributing hitch is a far better arrangement than air bags or suspension half-measures. The rear end may sag with a trailer, but pushing it back up with air shocks with only prevent the hitch from dragging on the ground - it won't put any more weight on the front wheels for appropriate steering and braking - you need a weight distributing hitch for that. Look at the weight limit placards for you vehicle with and without weight distribution. I can't even begin to imagine hauling our 2-horse trailer without a weight distributing hitch. IMHO any vehicle hauling a trailer with GVW more than 2/3 the trucks max tow rating NEEDS such a hitch.

I couldn't agree more and I'm very aware of things like GVW ratings. It's just disappointing that a 3/4t truck can't even tow the horse trailer empty without having the equalizer bars on. Ocasionally I tow a short distance (a few miles) and just wish I didn't have to screw around with it. The old suburban with leaf springs did it fine, but you paid the price vs. the cushy ride of the new one.

Those 2500 Avalanche's are supposed to be wicked! Problem with them is that when you CAN find one with the 8.1L in it, it will likely have been USED quite a bit. 3/4 ton Avalanche with an 8.1L in it would be one awesome, stump pulling rig! Found one on Ebay: [url=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevrolet-

Very nice looking truck, but yes, a bit far away. I am still going to give the seller a call since they are a dealer and see what they say. MANY THANKS for the heads-up. I do not want a truck lifted quite that much, but all else on that vehicle looks mint and only 21k miles for an '03. Sorry for the delayed response, lost power and internet most of last week and then went to the Miami boatshow for the weekend. Just getting caught back up now. CHEERS!!!

The

Would love to discuss, will send you a PM...thanks!!

The Z71 has a different suspension package. No sagging on mine as you can see in picture!

Since I have only looked at and test driven 1500s, I have made sure at a minimum that they have the Z71 package for this reason you mention. Nice rig BTW! The whole setup looks sweet.