Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First time boat buyer looking for advice

drewsbu

Hey everyone,

I'm pretty set on getting my first boat at least in time for the 2023 season, wouldn't mind buying earlier if I found the right one. I am looking at the larger models, 247 LSV, 25 LSV, 24 MXZ as I want to fit 10 people comfortably, occasionally more. I want to use the boat for wakesurfing and just hanging out on Lake Washington/Lake Union. I plan on keeping it at a rack marina as I don't have a tow vehicle or place to keep a trailer. Looking at a max purchase price of 90k. These are a few I've looked at that I like: 

2006 247 LSV - https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/bonney-lake-2006-malibu-wakesetter-247/7527558650.html

Don't really like the color but it's not a deal-breaker and everything else looks great. The upgraded stereo and engine are a big plus, I like the sea deck flooring, and the interior is new. It's a bit concerning that it was fully replaced as it might mean the boat wasn't well taken care of but I can ask about that and for service records. This would also leave me some extra money for additions if needed. 

I've read that the 8.1 engine needs the riser gaskets replaced every year which doesn't seem too bad, haven't read much about other major issues with this year/model boat. 

2013 24 MXZ - https://www.seattleboat.com/inventory/2013-malibu-boats-24-mxz-seattle-wa-98105-11415145i

Big fan of the color and pickle fork bow but I've read a lot about the touchscreen de-lamination issues and they spook me. This is already the most I want to spend and if the screen breaks I don't want to spend 4k on a touchscreen that will take months to arrive and will have the same problem 3 years later. It seems like the touchscreen is potentially a problem with any 2011-2014 model so haven't been looking at those as much. Or maybe this issue is over-exaggerated?

2017 23 LSV - https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/d/kirkland-2017-malibu-23-lsv/7527919201.html

Everything about this looks perfect except I would be worried about the size. 

If anyone has comments on these or advice on what direction to go that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

if size/capacity and price are your two drivers, any reason you aren't considering a lightly used Axis A24?  90k would probably get you in the 2019-ish A24 market.

The 2013 has the lower right touch screen that many people have had delaminating issues. When it happens it’s $3k to replace. I’d either stay clear or make sure it isn’t bubbling anywhere on that screen. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

if size/capacity and price are your two drivers, any reason you aren't considering a lightly used Axis A24?  90k would probably get you in the 2019-ish A24 market.

I didn't really think about that before but after looking a bit I think that's a great idea. This one checks all the boxes for me https://northwestwatersports.com/listings/2018-axis-a24/

It looks like you have something similar, are there any options that you would say are must haves? Any major issues? 

3 minutes ago, drewsbu said:

I didn't really think about that before but after looking a bit I think that's a great idea. This one checks all the boxes for me https://northwestwatersports.com/listings/2018-axis-a24/

It looks like you have something similar, are there any options that you would say are must haves? Any major issues? 

That boat looks sharp (and other than the color) and extremely similar to mine.

My A24 has been very good. Issues in 3+yrs has been a wiring harness replaced under warranty (apparently a common problem on that vintage PCMs that cause relays to blow a few times), and a new starter (im on brackish water so corrosion induced). 

I believe 2019 (mine) was a new hull and then 2021 is new again - though layout looks identical. Never been on either alternative but word is each got better than previous (surfing at least).  

I would definitely want a power wedge, it's just super handy to go from short to tall wave, often fast enough to save a fall when I notice folks drifting back. No touchscreens to worry about, I kinda like the buttons but never been on a Malibu either.

On the 2018, I'd ask about the transmission and prop - I have 2:1 with 17in prop - not sure if 2018 still used 15in with 1.76:1 -- if so, I'd solicit advice on folks experience surfing heavy with that setup.  I suspect as a beginner, itll move plenty of water to have a good time.  And prop selection can adjust performance quite a bit if you need it.

I would be hesitant to spend that much on a first boat. There is a fair bit of a learning curve associated with wake boats. Especially around the docks and trailer (the places where mistakes can get expensive)

It’s probably not a popular opinion around this website but I have seen a direct relationship in our area. The more expensive the boat, the worse the captain. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but they are increasingly rare… I would recommend something older and much cheaper to get your feet wet. Something that coming into the dock a bit faster than expected and scuffing/chipping the gelcoat won’t ruin your week. Run it for a season or two, get comfortable and skilled behind the wheel, then upgrade. You will also have a much better idea of exactly what you want in your “nice and new” boat at that point.

Call me cheap, call me a hater, call me whatever… you might be right on the cheap part. 

whatever you decide to do, don’t think I’m discouraging you from getting a boat and getting on the lake. I’m just suggesting a slower approach to the adventure.

Welcome to the crew! 

Edited by BillyChinookVLX
Spelling error
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, BillyChinookVLX said:

I would be hesitant to spend that much on a first boat. There is a fair bit of a learning curve associated with wake boats. Especially around the docks and trailer (the places where mistakes can get expensive)

It’s probably not a popular opinion around this website but I have seen a direct relationship in our area. The more expensive the boat, the worse the captain. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but they are increasingly rare… I would recommend something older and much cheaper to get your feet wet. Something that coming into the dock a bit faster than expected and scuffing/chipping the gelcoat won’t ruin your week. Run it for a season or two, get comfortable and skilled behind the wheel, then upgrade. You will also have a much better idea of exactly what you want in your “nice and new” boat at that point.

Call me cheap, call me a hater, call me whatever… you might be right on the cheap part. 

whatever you decide to do, don’t think I’m discouraging you from getting a boat and getting on the lake. I’m just suggesting a slower approach to the adventure.

Welcome to the crew! 

sentiment above is important -- boat ownership in general is often more of a commitment in finance/time/headache than most people appreciate.  Obviously those on this forum think the trade is worth it, but its way different than being a guest on someone else's boat. 

Wakeboats specifically are a steeper learning curve - its not just a little Boston Whaler with an outboard.  More widgets/buttons involved, being captain/instructor for these various watersports takes practice, and docking will take some getting used to.  i had smaller bowriders for 6 yrs which helped ease me in, but still find myself learning/refining technique even after 300 hrs on my wakeboat.

That said, if you can afford it, i'd say jump in and figuring it out is part of the adventure.  But i highly encourage doing more than the minimum when it comes to licensing/training.  Take a local BoatUS or captains course - on water ifpossible.  Talk to people at your dock/marina about local tips for shallow areas, zones where people drive recklessly or currents/winds can surprise you (offer to take them out for on-water cruise to point such tips out).  Go out with close friends (ideally other boat owners) early on with no expectations of doing watersports and simply learn how it works in various conditions/situations and establish what is "normal" so you can identify if something is off later.  Practice docking - potentially from different directions/approaches as gas docks and other tie-ups may require squeezing in awkward places.  i'm sure i forgot some stuff, but going slow in your first couple months will pay massive dividends when you have that crew of 10 on the water in mid-summer and they all expect you as the captain to provide a good time and have all the answers.  [rant complete, stepping down from my soap box now]

• Like 3

A guy that lives close to me says "it's only money, and you can always make more". What he wont tell you is he's been through bankruptcy twice... lol. I say go for the Axis too, it will just make the lessons a little more expensive.

• Haha 3
On 9/3/2022 at 1:48 PM, drewsbu said:

I know you are looking for a bigger boat than my A22, but hands down would go for a “newer used” Axis over a Malibu. The selling point for me was the fact that pretty much everything related to surfing/wakeboarding is the same aside from the added benefit that the Malibu software/touch screen gives you in terms of convenience/luxury. That wasn’t enough for me to justify the added expense. 

I went with a new A22, and likely would have been just as happy with a gently used one. Also, my first boat and as @CaptainMorgan said jumping right in and learning what it takes to captain a wakeboat is part of the adventure. I have loved every minute of it - even having to replace a strut 🤣🤣🤣

10 hours ago, BillyChinookVLX said:

Welcome to the crew! 

+ 1 !!!

(...coming from someone who bought a 2001 VLX)

Yes, I get the "newer boat" envy at the ramp. Yes, 20 years of improvement is huge. But I haven't upgraded yet because On the "smiles per dollar" gauge my $25k boat beats out any of the $100k+ boats I look at! 

• Like 2

I think a lot of this depends on the wakesurfing part of the equation.  If you want to wakesurf at the press of a button, let people sit where they want, don't want to monkey around with ballast bags and wakeshapers then the more modern boat the better.  We went modern surf boat after we had kids and needed an "easy button" to get surfing ASAP.  If surfing is more of an occasional activity you can save A LOT of money.

I appreciate all the advice from everyone! 

22 hours ago, BillyChinookVLX said:

Welcome to the crew! 

I see where you're coming from and thought the same at first but I would say a few reasons pushing me to get something newer

Buying 1 boat seems like quite the effort. Researching, getting a loan, figuring out shipping if not local, getting an inspection done, would have to do all of that again in 2-3 years if I wanted to upgrade.

I think I would be happier getting something I really like to start. Think I would enjoy being on it more and hopefully get rid of any itch to upgrade too soon.

Ease of use is important for me. I'm not opposed to tinkering with different permanent ballast set-ups but I don't want to have above deck ballast bags or be shifting lead across the boat when I'm out. Seems like the newer boats are a lot simpler to set up and switch sides on. Those also take up storage space and I know I'll be short on that after loading up 15 life jackets, coolers, people's stuff, etc. 

I don't have a car that can tow so no trailering. If I end up getting any boat I would keep it at a dry stack marina. So no chance to mess up putting it on a trailer. The set-up they have there seems pretty good. Call ahead/schedule when you want to get out and they drop it in the water for you. Bays dedicated for washing/maintenance. 

Do you think that makes sense?

13 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

sentiment above is important -- boat ownership in general is often more of a commitment in finance/time/headache than most people appreciate.  Obviously those on this forum think the trade is worth it, but its way different than being a guest on someone else's boat. 

Wakeboats specifically are a steeper learning curve - its not just a little Boston Whaler with an outboard.  More widgets/buttons involved, being captain/instructor for these various watersports takes practice, and docking will take some getting used to.  i had smaller bowriders for 6 yrs which helped ease me in, but still find myself learning/refining technique even after 300 hrs on my wakeboat.

That said, if you can afford it, i'd say jump in and figuring it out is part of the adventure.  But i highly encourage doing more than the minimum when it comes to licensing/training.  Take a local BoatUS or captains course - on water ifpossible.  Talk to people at your dock/marina about local tips for shallow areas, zones where people drive recklessly or currents/winds can surprise you (offer to take them out for on-water cruise to point such tips out).  Go out with close friends (ideally other boat owners) early on with no expectations of doing watersports and simply learn how it works in various conditions/situations and establish what is "normal" so you can identify if something is off later.  Practice docking - potentially from different directions/approaches as gas docks and other tie-ups may require squeezing in awkward places.  i'm sure i forgot some stuff, but going slow in your first couple months will pay massive dividends when you have that crew of 10 on the water in mid-summer and they all expect you as the captain to provide a good time and have all the answers.  [rant complete, stepping down from my soap box now]

Definitely hadn't considered that it's more difficult to drive a surf boat on water than a bowrider, especially filled with ballast. I've driven my friend's or rental boats so I know some basics but never driven something like what I'm looking at. I like the idea of taking a class and I would say most of the time I'll have someone with more experience than me onboard who can help and give advice. And yeah I know the responsibility that comes with being the captain! Tough but rewarding. Was captain for a houseboat trip twice with 40 people on the boat. 

13 hours ago, SmoothbrainA22 said:

I know you are looking for a bigger boat than my A22, but hands down would go for a “newer used” Axis over a Malibu. The selling point for me was the fact that pretty much everything related to surfing/wakeboarding is the same aside from the added benefit that the Malibu software/touch screen gives you in terms of convenience/luxury. That wasn’t enough for me to justify the added expense. 

I went with a new A22, and likely would have been just as happy with a gently used one. Also, my first boat and as @CaptainMorgan said jumping right in and learning what it takes to captain a wakeboat is part of the adventure. I have loved every minute of it - even having to replace a strut 🤣🤣🤣

Yeah it seems like a 2018 A24 or 2013 MXZ24 are in the same price range around me and between those I can't see how the Malibu would be a better choice. A better A24 than the one I posted earlier just went up for sale not too far from me https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/d/vancouver-2018-axis-a24/7530415251.html

• Like 1

Just keep in mind that after about a month of owning your new boat you will already be looking at and dreaming about the next one. . If this is your first wake boat it probably won’t be your last. Grab a newer, couple year old Axis. More than likely, unless some Great Recession happens, you will be able to sell it in a couple years for not too much less than you bought it for. Then you will have a much better idea of what to get next. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, drewsbu said:

it seems like a 2018 A24 or 2013 MXZ24 are in the same price range around me and between those I can't see how the Malibu would be a better choice. A better A24 than the one I posted earlier just went up for sale not too far from me https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/d/vancouver-2018-axis-a24/7530415251.html

that one looks great.  the clamping board racks are super convenient (i have bungee racks and while obviously adequate, they are annoying but never enough to spend a few grand to get clamping...but if they are already on there...)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, CaptainMorgan said:

that one looks great.  the clamping board racks are super convenient (i have bungee racks and while obviously adequate, they are annoying but never enough to spend a few grand to get clamping...but if they are already on there...)

Couldn’t agree more with this assessment. I too did not splurge for clamping racks and can’t see a reason to ever do it unless I came across a deal I could not refuse. 

I AM however interested and may eventually add a stern thruster. Feel pretty confident with my docking skills these days but am running into more and more situations where I am picking up/dropping off people at the dock multiple times throughout the day. 

9 hours ago, Bagar20 said:

Just keep in mind that after about a month of owning your new boat you will already be looking at and dreaming about the next one. . If this is your first wake boat it probably won’t be your last. Grab a newer, couple year old Axis. More than likely, unless some Great Recession happens, you will be able to sell it in a couple years for not too much less than you bought it for. Then you will have a much better idea of what to get next. 

Laughing so hard at this. I’m rolling around in a custom built 2022 A22 and still salivating over my dream MXZ. But I’m also looking at a tow rig upgrade that I don’t need and trying to convince the CFO we should get a golf cart. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

the skylon clamping racks are awesome if you intend to foil or have a custom fiberglass board that you don't want to stick in a traditional rack tho... they will hold much thicker boards and don't put the stress of the forks on them.

• Like 1

I'd assume you are unintentionally going to beat the crap out of your first boat until you really learn how to take care of it.  In other words save some money and buy one a little pre-beat up so you don't feel so bad when it happens.  No matter how well intentioned you are, learning how to keep a tow boat from getting beat up is a learning curve that takes time and experience.

• Like 2

I’ve had an 06 VLX (first boat I owned) and bought a 21 A22 this year so have a bit of experience going both ways. So a few thoughts:

That 06 247 looks amazing and new vinyl and floor will go a long way. I also think people are right that an older / less expensive boat will reduce worry during your lessons as an owner. But you’ll have them those lessons matter what boat you buy. As people noted - take time to learn, put down the drink, go slow and take care of your crew - everything else can be fixed (especially if you have resources for a dry stack Marina).   

The hull design difference between the older boats and the newer boats are night and day for surfing, but also for handling the big water for Lake Washington. The freeboard and higher bow on the new boats will be worth it for your use case in my opinion. Our VLX took waves over the transom at Seafair - the A22 handled a run across a Lake Washington on a windy weekend day in comfort. 

Pair that with the push button simplicity for surfing (not to mention the lights and all the other new boat nice touches that I’m enjoying in our “modern” boat) and the newer one really makes sense if you’re looking for a recommendation. I love my Axis and think it will be a much more “future proof” (both resale and your wandering eye) than the Malibu options you showed.

On 9/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, shawndoggy said:

the skylon clamping racks are awesome if you intend to foil or have a custom fiberglass board that you don't want to stick in a traditional rack tho... they will hold much thicker boards and don't put the stress of the forks on them.

Good point. Would probably be better for my Connelly Ono that I picked up but so far no issues.