Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rankin Covers group buy, Round 2!

TRBenj

Due to the overwhelming success of the last group buy, Rankin has expressed interest in doing another round. Due to the busy boat show season, I did not foresee this happening- but now everyone who missed out on the first buy has a second chance!

Anyone with a Rankin cover (especially those who participated in the last group buy), feel free to add comments. These covers are terrific!

The logistics will basically work the same as last time. Many questions were asked and answered in the First Round Thread. All current info can be found on Planet Nautique.

Thank you for your interest!

-Tim

I waffled and missed out on the first round but would be very interested to know the price for a 2005 RLXI with no tower. Don't know if it is an option or not, but I don't want it to cover the ski platform as I will only use this one for towing and use my Malibu Canvas cover for covering while on the lift.

Thanks.

I waffled and missed out on the first round but would be very interested to know the price for a 2005 RLXI with no tower. Don't know if it is an option or not, but I don't want it to cover the ski platform as I will only use this one for towing and use my Malibu Canvas cover for covering while on the lift.

Thanks.

thealy,

Due to the way it tightens, the Rankin will not cover the platform. Sounds like it will work perfectly for you.

The price list is:

rankinpricing2.jpg

Send me an email and I can get you an order form: TRBenj (at) gmail (dot) com

tsc1rankin3.jpg

rankin4.jpg

More details and photos are posted on PlanetNautique.

My boat sits on a hoist, outdoors and in the sun and rain. Unfortunately no canopies where I live Mad.gif So I have a couple questions about the Rankin.

- Is the cover material better than the OEM cover? Is it heavier?

- Does the Rankin do a better job keeping water out of the boat, compared to the OEM? Especially around the cutouts for the Illusion X tower. Seems that I'm constantly getting water in the boat.

- The Rankin doesn't seem cover the back of the boat / vinyl. Does the sun exposure bother anyone else?

Thanks for the comments,

Dave

My boat sits on a hoist, outdoors and in the sun and rain. Unfortunately no canopies where I live Mad.gif So I have a couple questions about the Rankin.

- Does the Rankin do a better job keeping water out of the boat, compared to the OEM? Especially around the cutouts for the Illusion X tower. Seems that I'm constantly getting water in the boat.

- The Rankin doesn't seem cover the back of the boat / vinyl. Does the sun exposure bother anyone else?

Thanks for the comments,

Dave

I had a Rankin on my old boat and it lived moored on the water with just the cover to protect it from the sun and rain. It worked great and the cover still looked brand new after several years of that. I never had any problem with water getting into the boat. The back of the cover actually does completely cover the vinyl reaching down to the transom fiberglass.

I have a Covercrafts cover for the current boat and have been extremely happy with that cover as well. This is a killer deal for a quality cover.

Thanks for the comments,

Dave

My boat sits on a hoist as well, though the slip is covered. Of course the marina roof leaks a little.

And, they come by periodically and hose down the rafters to knock down cobwebs and mud

douber nests, so I still needed a cover to keep water off/out.

I bought the Rankin during the first group buy because I, too, was disappointed in the

factory cover, especially around the tower. Plus, there were the poles.

The Rankin appears to be a high quality cover. Reinforced felt lining on the underside where it contacts

the windshield, ski pylon, etc. sets it apart from the factory cover, though I think that both are made

from Sunbrella. Anyway, the Rankin has padded hooks that are adjustable (velcro strips allow for

re-adjusting should the material stretch slightly over time), which fit snugly underneath the rub rail

from the bow on back. The best part is the tower cut-outs, where a large sleeve with an elastic

cuff opens and closes with a zipper, and reaches twelve inches or so up onto the legs of the Illusion.

Also, once the straps in back are cinched up snugly and the padded hooks are snuggled under

the rub rail, no poles are needed to tent the cover as it is very taught, providing no places for

water to pool.

It doesn't cover the swim platform, but it does come down farther than it appears in the photos.

Actually, as my boat sits now, the Rankin cover is snugly attached AND the factory cover, which does

come down over the swim platform, sits on top. That takes care of the sun exposure issue, plus

the dirt/dust/bird droppings/cobweb strands accumulate on the factory cover and not the Rankin.

Bottom line: I am very pleased with the Rankin. Great cover at that bargain price.

:) Glad to hear you are pleased with your new cover. If anyone could take some pictures of the covers on their boats it would be greatly appreciated, we are trying to update our website. Thank you in advance!

I took a look at the Rankin Covers web site. How do these covers fit so tight? I don't see any snaps and/or straps that would go around the trailer. Are they that well made that they fit like a glove? I'm tired of fighting with my "stock" Malibu canvas cover.

I purchased a Rankin cover in a group buy 2 or 3 years ago. At the time Rankin was somewhat overwhelmed by the volume of the order; I think this was the initial group buy and some people were complaining about the delay in time to receive the cover and some issues with holes not lining up where they should.

I'm glad to hear they did such a good job on the last group buy. For me their customer service was always very good.

I've been very satisified with the cover. I've towed the boat with the cover on approx. 4000 miles and have never had any issues. Through rain, snow, dirt, whatever, the interior of the boat was always as spotless as when I put the cover on.

I currently have the boat on a covered lift and still use the Rankin cover. I was initially using the stock Malibu cover while on the lift but rain water was pooling too much. With the Rankin the water just slides right off.

The cover today looks as good as the day I received it. No wear showing, no fading.

Hey Rankin, I'll email ya a few pictures!

I took a look at the Rankin Covers web site. How do these covers fit so tight? I don't see any snaps and/or straps that would go around the trailer. Are they that well made that they fit like a glove? I'm tired of fighting with my "stock" Malibu canvas cover.

spinxt,

Rankin's patterns are very precise. If you follow the link to PlanetNautique you will get a little more info (and pics), but you are correct- there are no snaps, straps or poles necessary. Rankin uses a soft "hook" that grabs the rub rail towards the rear of the boat. That combined with a very good drawstring system keeps the cover in place and tight.

This buy is generating a lot of interest- everyone must have spring on their minds!

I have not yet discussed an end date for accepting orders with Rankin, but will update this post when I do. There should still be plenty of time to get your order in if youre in the market for a cover.

Alright, I think I've finally got the wife's approval to get in on the Rankin group buy over on PN. I need some feedback......I really want to go with a black or red cover, however the cover will be in constant contact with the vinyl that covers the ski locker on my RLX. Is there ANY remote chance the color of the cover can "bleed" on the vinyl? It would really bumb me out if after a nice rain shower I uncovered the boat only to find my nice white vinyl is now PINK!!!!!

thanks!!

No, I'm on my third Rankin & all of them have been black. I've never had any bleeding issues at all.

I concur. We have had black sunbrella covers in the past and have never experienced any bleeding. I dont see why red would be any different. My new Rankin is black as well.

For everyones's information, I have submitted another round of orders to Rankin. There is still time to get in on the buy- Rankin has still not set an end date. Send me an email if you need an order form.

Thanks to everyone for their interest!

Here is a cover we just finished,

twotonemalibustripe.jpg

These are two more we have done recently,

stripedtige.jpg

tigeorangestripeside2.jpg

Let us know what you think. This is an option we offer on the covers for additional costs depending on design.

Thanks guys!

Just to update everyone, I have submitted another round of orders. Still no word from Rankin as to how long this group buy will run- so theres still time for those of you who are on the fence!

Yahoo.gif

Well I sent in my order to Tim for my new Rankin. I went with the logo red color with a gray "Malibu" logo on the windshield. I'm just praying that the red does not run and stain my upolstery. Although several members here and Rankin say it won't, I'm skeptical, but I figure I'd give it a shot in the interest of asthetics.

Chris

I am ordering a new LSV, should I can the factory option cover, and get one of these? Are the 2007 Malibu covers any better? Poles? etc..? THanks!