Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Forum - Buying a 1998 Sportster LX - Thoughts? Test drive & ski tomorrow.

hondaf17

Nice! I don't have a Sportster but I do have a sunsetter lxi.  I do not have a factory teak platform. I "think" it is off a sanger v210.  It is massive, I wouldnt want anything smaller.  It does get in the water when I surf, but this is a ski boat, not a surf boat so it doesn't bother me.  My point is, don't be stuck on a getting a factory teak swim deck.

Here is a pic of my swim deck, I just put the new foam down yesterday.  

20220830_080607.jpg

Edited by twitchee2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys!  A some of you commented on my swim platform that I posted.  I think I found a solution.  Check these guys out:

Teak World Enterprises

They quoted me $625 without the wedge access door and $705 with the door.  Shipping to my zip code is $90.  

Questions:

How big of a pita is teak swim platform to maintain?

How easy is it to install one?  I imagine I leave the brackets that are already on the boat, remove the existing platform, then just screw through the existing brackets into the bottom of the new teak platform?

TYIA!

Edited by hondaf17

If it's that exact platform yes it looks really nice !  And I think yes too on the installation. Note how the existing platform relates to the stern and replicate that with the new platform on your existing mounts. 

The teak will last a lifetime. People differ on it's maintenance. I'm a believer in using a sealer rather than oil.

Steve B.

13 hours ago, hondaf17 said:

Anything from absolutely zero maintenance until it falls apart to full anal retentive touchups after every outing.

11 hours ago, Steve B. said:

I'm a believer in using a sealer rather than oil.

I have been using Watco Teak Oil.  They say it is basically linseed oil, but it acts like it also has Tung oil as well since it seems to build up fairly easily.  I find it really easy to touch up skeg marks whenever they start to bother me.

My platform was fairly grey and weathered when I bought the boat.  I cleaned it but didn't sand it at all because I wanted to leave the texture to help make it non-skid.  The texture also helps keep those marks from showing up at all.

My local marina is quoting me $1250 for Stargazer wake edition plus $200-300 install so $1500 +/-.  He said no need for three event as I don't ski the course and there is never a course set up on our lake anyway.  Does this seem like good/standard pricing?  

TYIA!

Looks like accurate $ for system:  http://perfectpass.com/?q=systems

As for labor, the systems are plug and play so easy DIY, decent instructions & videos for install / troubleshooting, excellent customer service if needed.  Can't help on the system decision as I am a course skier which trumps all as those little orange buoys are so addicting.

• Like 2

If you are engine handy the install is pretty easy but it might be an afternoon of screwing around.  My dad did my last PPSG install while I mostly watched.  I'd personally pay the 250 bucks for the install if I could not talk someone into it because I am not all that engine handy but it also did not look that hard.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • 5 months later...
On 9/22/2022 at 8:30 PM, hondaf17 said:

Hey guys!  A some of you commented on my swim platform that I posted.  I think I found a solution.  Check these guys out:

Teak World Enterprises

They quoted me $625 without the wedge access door and $705 with the door.  Shipping to my zip code is $90.  

Questions:

How easy is it to install one?  I imagine I leave the brackets that are already on the boat, remove the existing platform, then just screw through the existing brackets into the bottom of the new teak platform?

TYIA!

Did you end up purchasing from Teak World?  I'd like to pull the trigger myself.  Replacing OEM platform off 06' Response LXI.

• 1 month later...

On 3/27/2023 at 8:46 AM, HitIt said:

Did you end up purchasing from Teak World?  I'd like to pull the trigger myself.  Replacing OEM platform off 06' Response LXI.

Sorry for delayed response.  Yes I did!  And it's gorgeous.  Highly recommended.  Then used the following brushes to apply the following teak oil and it turned out great.  Also, spent $3k locally on all-new vinyl upholstery and seating.  It looks awesome.  Installed perfect pass as well and got a boom.  Will be skiing this weekend!

Star Brite Teak Oil

Brushes

Photo of Boat with new Teak Platform and Upholstery

Photo 2

Edited by hondaf17

Guys...speaking of swim platforms.  See the picture on page 2 of the old platform.  Gray, ugly.  Does that thing have any use?  Or should I toss it?  If someone on this board is local to MN and WI and wanted it I'd be happy to donate it to someone.  Thanks!