Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New to Forum - Buying a 1998 Sportster LX - Thoughts? Test drive & ski tomorrow.

hondaf17

Some DIY maintenance that will help the performance of the engine if you are up for it! Its maybe a couple hundred dollars and a few hours of elbow grease. 

1 - Change the spark plugs (easy)

2 - Clean the flame arrestor (easy) 

3 - Change the fuel filters, probably 2 in your boat (medium difficulty)

4 - Replace the cap and rotor (medium difficulty)

5 - Replace the spark plug wires (easy)

I did those on my '99 SS LXI and its gave it new life! 

What transmission is in the boat (Velvet Drive, PCM, ZF Hurth)?  Reason for asking, rebuild parts availability if ever needed and as noted, why was trans fluid low.  (as a reference, my trans never needs topping up, routine maintenance changes yes, added no).  Can be as basic as a leaky seal which is no big deal.  Velvet drive parts are available, PCM 40 is out of production and no parts available, ZF Hurth parts available.  There should be a label on the trans giving the info.

Pull to the right, typical of a DD ski boat and a certain amount is desirable for optimum handling in the slalom course.  LH rotation prop (Malibu) will want a right pull for easy driving in the slalom course, and holding a nice straight path for free skiing.  Malibu's have an adjustable tab on the rudder, if not the process was to grind on the trailing edge to get the desired amount of right pull.

I would think a Sporty would have the same bow dipping characteristics as a Gen 1 LXI.  Having pulled slalom and footing exclusively for several years, the rollers on returning for a dropped tricker surprised me the other day!

Good luck on your purchase.  Consider yourself really lucky to get and do an extended test drive at your home lake, a very rare offering.  If you don't buy it, the owner will appreciate it returning cleaner than it left.

Edited by Woodski
  • Like 2

Another option in MN if it's still available...listed under another category on Ski it agian: https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_ShowSki&postid=63028

I know it doesn't help make your decision on the Sportster any easier, but in case you don't feel good about it other options will come up.

So can anyone suggest where to look for parts?  The Malibu parts site only goes back to 2002.

I'd like to get a new swim platform.  Also need a new ball thing that's on top of the throttle, current one is stripped.  And a new acceleration prop. 

Thanks!

Edited by hondaf17

@hondaf17  You won't be able to find an OEM swim platform, probably will have to rebuild one yourself or find someone who can do it. I think there might be a guy on the Facebook group "vintage ski boats"

The shifting knob can be easily replaced, just google ski boat shift knob and you will have tons of options.

A good prop for the sportster is the acme 515. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the Sportster tribe - you will love your new purchase.

I couldn't see the number of tracking fins - I recommend adding the 3rd fin.

Also, add 'sound proofing' to the engine box, your ears will thank you.

Optional - check out Marine Torq stainless steel exhaust manifolds ... I found power increased and better fuel economy.

Enjoy

7 hours ago, Doug69 said:

Welcome to the Sportster tribe - you will love your new purchase.

I couldn't see the number of tracking fins - I recommend adding the 3rd fin.

Also, add 'sound proofing' to the engine box, your ears will thank you.

Optional - check out Marine Torq stainless steel exhaust manifolds ... I found power increased and better fuel economy.

Enjoy

Thanks.  It has 2 fins.   I'll look into adding the 3rd.  Another annoying thing is there are no pop up cleats.  But that's obviously not a deal breaker.  

congrats; i've always liked the profile on the sportster

i did not review the two pages of the thread, he said sheepishly , and i don't remember if you ski the course.

i'd recommend: run the rig, as is, until you are convinced it needs a third fin.  open water tugs will pull it off course but who cares?

if it turns out that you care, then add that fin.

welcome to the crew

On 8/28/2022 at 7:36 AM, hondaf17 said:

So can anyone suggest where to look for parts?  The Malibu parts site only goes back to 2002.

I'd like to get a new swim platform.  Also need a new ball thing that's on top of the throttle, current one is stripped.  And a new acceleration prop. 

Thanks!

Here's a platform that might work. Probably best to check dimensions but they apparently bought it for a Sportster.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Parts_Boat&postid=51202

Tracking fins need to be perfectly aligned or weird things can happen; if you are going to add a fin make sure somebody who knows what they are doing does the install.  I would not add a fin unless you have a real problem you are trying to solve and not just hoping for a marginal performance improvement.  

Other suppliers to add to the list:  Great Lakes Skipper, Michigan Motorz (hopefully not needed), iboats, wholesale marine, overtons, barts (last 2 for ski gear)

Is the platform teak or fiberglass?  If teak find a larger one and cut it down to size as an option.  If you are handy, it is an easy DIY project.

I do not ski the course.  Never have, no plans to.  Just open water.  I've skied behind the boat 3 times now and no issues.  I've pulled only one skier though but I don't think tracking is a problem.  I'm not nearly good enough where 2 fins will be an issue.

Edited by hondaf17
1 hour ago, tvano said:

"you are no longer signed in..to continue, you will need to sign in again"

maybe another tmc-er can give your links a go to see if i'm just too old for this crap.

Interesting. I'm signed out of Amazon and I can see it.

Great looking sportster, I love mine, congrats! And never say never to skiing a slalom course- its the most addicting part of water skiing!