Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

skiing with the wedge in lift mode

Mahaskier

After my 1998 Sunsetter was destroyed by a boulder, I purchased a 2021 MLX,

being a skier I knew this would be a challenge skiing a v-drive. After looking for info

how to set this boat for a skiable wake I finally found that a 21 foot MLX, LX, VLX, or even the 

20 foot VTX diamond or wake hull all have softer wakes using power wedge3 set in lift mode.

Buoy chasing may be possible but I found the wake to be manageable to cross as an aggressive 

free skier. One drawback using the wedge it seems the top speed is 33-34 mph even though the boat 

can make 40 mph wedge in stow. I reached out to Malibu if running the wedge past the 28 mph notification (lift mode only) was 

harmful, Malibu seems to feel no problem will occur operating it like this. My MLX has the 5 year warranty but looking to Malibu 

to warranty this operating procedure as well.

Hope this is helpful to skiers transitioning from a direct drive.

Any tips to my discovery is welcome.

OtherBoatisaCessna

I'm not experienced with the power wedge at all so I'm way out of my league and just speculating here, but do wakeboarders (for instance) run wedge 6 at 20+ mph, for instance?  I am just thinking what the failure mode would be if the wedge were to slip out of "lift mode" at ski speeds of 30+ mph - wouldn't it quickly run back through positions 1-6?  I could see the forces at wedge 6 and 30mph being devastating, but again, I have no experience with the power wedge.  Maybe it's designed to take that kind of load?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Malibuss said:

Dumb question but what is lift mode on the wedge. Running a 2011 VLX diamond hull and I still like to ski

The power wedge has a setting on it called lift mode that provides "lift" to the back end of the boat through a hydrofoil effect,  simulating the removal of approximately 500 lbs of weight from rear of the boat

18 hours ago, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

I am just thinking what the failure mode would be if the wedge were to slip out of "lift mode" at ski speeds of 30+ mph - wouldn't it quickly run back through positions 1-6?

I would hate to see what could happen if it were to slip out.  I don't know how it could slip as it is electronically controlled and while I wouldn't want to be the one to experiment and verify if this is the case, I'd hope that the electronics would sense the faster speed and prevent the wedge from moving even if the buttons were accidentally pressed.

We have a 2021 21' VLX (diamond hull) and have tried numerous variations of weight distribution, rope length, speed and "lift" mode.  

34 - 36 MPH, 22' off, bow ballast tank 50% full, 1/2 tank or less of gas, 1-2 passengers, and Lift mode engaged seems to be the best possible combination for us.  Lift mode made the biggest difference, both in softness of the wake and also the hole shot when getting up (without lift mode, this bigger boat took forever to get to full speed compared to our previous boat [2001 21' VLX w diamond hull]). 

We did run into some issues with inexperienced drivers and speed control.  When the Lift mode warning pops up, I think it can interfere with the cruise control.  We ended up going old school and just left speed control off while skiing.

Haven't tried running a course, nor would recommend it, as the back end seems to get pulled around more with Lift mode engaged.  But we find the softer wake is worth it for aggressive recreational skiing.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...

So… There is no potential damage running lift mode at higher speeds???

I want to try it, but my dealer said the boat was not designed to do that. This is why the alarm comes on at 25 mph.  

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2022 at 3:48 PM, OtherBoatisaCessna said:

I'm not experienced with the power wedge at all so I'm way out of my league and just speculating here, but do wakeboarders (for instance) run wedge 6 at 20+ mph, for instance?  I am just thinking what the failure mode would be if the wedge were to slip out of "lift mode" at ski speeds of 30+ mph - wouldn't it quickly run back through positions 1-6?  I could see the forces at wedge 6 and 30mph being devastating, but again, I have no experience with the power wedge.  Maybe it's designed to take that kind of load?

I think the wedge sets at 2 or 3, half full hard tanks and speed is 22mph when the wakeboard intermediate setting is selected.  pro is 4ish wedge setting, full hard tanks all around and 23.5 mph iirc.  

On 8/25/2022 at 1:54 PM, Malibuss said:

Dumb question but what is lift mode on the wedge. Running a 2011 VLX diamond hull and I still like to ski

The "lift mode" was added in 2015 with "power wedge 2" - it basically increases the extension a few more inches so it points up towards the hull a bit and serves to lift the transom in the same way it drags it down when put in 1-6. 

I have went 30-34 in lift mode whipping my kids on a tube but usually run it around 25 for the most part so can't comment on the 35+ you would want for slalom skiing.  my guess is that if it doesn't alarm its probably good to go.

On 8/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Mahaskier said:

After my 1998 Sunsetter was destroyed by a boulder, I purchased a 2021 MLX,

being a skier I knew this would be a challenge skiing a v-drive. After looking for info

how to set this boat for a skiable wake I finally found that a 21 foot MLX, LX, VLX, or even the 

20 foot VTX diamond or wake hull all have softer wakes using power wedge3 set in lift mode.

Buoy chasing may be possible but I found the wake to be manageable to cross as an aggressive 

free skier. One drawback using the wedge it seems the top speed is 33-34 mph even though the boat 

can make 40 mph wedge in stow. I reached out to Malibu if running the wedge past the 28 mph notification (lift mode only) was 

harmful, Malibu seems to feel no problem will occur operating it like this. My MLX has the 5 year warranty but looking to Malibu 

to warranty this operating procedure as well.

Hope this is helpful to skiers transitioning from a direct drive.

Any tips to my discovery is welcome.

whats left of the boat? any pics? I'm looking for that model year, hope to make sure I don't buy that one... You didn't happen to leave your 98 bow filler cushion behind in the garage? 

• 6 months later...