Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 23 lsv surf setup/prop recommendation

Erickf

Anyone got any rock solid go twos for a decent regular side?  Sometimes I nail it other times pending on gear and crew it’s less than desirable.  Also curious on the best surf prop, the HH 380 struggles at times, cheers!!

Remove the rear factory stock ballast and install the Wakemakers Tankbuster kit.  Go with the largest bags (Mine are 900lbs).  Buy their engine panel reinforcement kit too or reinforce yourself with metal from a home improvement store.

Suck gate, either homemade or commercially built.   Low as I can on the Hull right between the gas cap and the rear cleat. 

Additional bow weight.  

I have raised my swim platform with a 2X4 to keep it out of the water. 

Fill the Factory Bow tank 250lbs (if you have one, if not you will need more bow weight) Additionally I have 200ish lbs of lead in the cup holder areas of the bow.  Sometimes people sit up in the bow too and that can help too.  I had an additional bag that was around 250lbs but have not needed it this year.  

Fill the Center tank 500 lbs

For the rear 2 tanks fill to at least halfway 500ish lbs each (1000ish lbs total)  Then add some more weight to the regular side.  If you have some people in the boat, it's best to have more sit on the regular side.  

Wedge down

I always use Perfect Pass and have it set in RPM mode.  Sometimes I need to accelerate a little past 12mph and then I can back the speed down (This is on my Perfect Pass and the calibrations could be off a little).

Once you get the wave to form you can then work on adjusting it as needed with the 2 rear ballast tanks, add or take away as needed while under power.  

I believe my rear bags are 800s, always fill the middle and bow tanks, and use a mission delta, anyone ever use lead in these older bu’s? Always surf around 11.5-12.0.  Curious on a prop change as I have a 13.5x15.5 vl prop, any recommendations on a better blade?

I use some in the bow and leave it there all the time.  Could add some for the normal side riding but then would have to try and offset it for any goofy rider.  The bows are low on these older boats and too much weight you will have to really adjust your driving or get used to dipping the bow.

As for a prop, not sure what the recommended one is for the Hammerhead.  Acme 1235 has always been a strong contender for many years.  I'm running the OJ Cinco (discontinued) and have been pleased with it's performance for how we use the boat. 

Edited by blk93jeepzj
Added prop info