Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Level Reading

Like all boats we've owned the fuel level on our 2022 T220 seems to not be very reliable.  Every time we fill it up it always reads 91% and never more.  It is definitely full and level on trailer.  Just wondered if anyone else had similar issue.  I wondered if there is any adjustments on it.  Just makes you wonder when it reads 30% is it actually 39% left.

Hand calculate your next fill up.  My 20 23MXZ was at 39% at my last fill up.  It took 30 gallon to fill it up, but that would only put me at 53 gallons total, but it read full.  Its just like your car the manufacture always puts in a buffer.  Id say your fine.       

Since those gauges weren't made and calibrated by NASA, I've never fully trusted them implicitly!!  I always just watch the lower levels and assume 1/4 take is almost empty - best to stay running and I hate being stranded over something I can control.

21 minutes ago, tgaffin said:

Like all boats we've owned the fuel level on our 2022 T220 seems to not be very reliable.  Every time we fill it up it always reads 91% and never more.  It is definitely full and level on trailer.  Just wondered if anyone else had similar issue.  I wondered if there is any adjustments on it.  Just makes you wonder when it reads 30% is it actually 39% left.

I'm trying to figure this out as well.  Same issue with 91% full at times.  But I've gotten it to read 100% too.  I think the level sender is in the aft part of the tank, always reads more full when it's on plane.  Also can't figure out exactly how large this tank is.  I've seen a variety of different figures when I look at T220 information online.  Some say 54.  Some sites say 58 gallons.  It seems smaller than either of those to me but I haven't gotten it all the way empty before refilling yet.  However large it is, I wish it was larger. 

On 8/16/2022 at 5:02 PM, BohBoh said:

I had my T220 down to 13% and it only took 38 gallons to fill. 

malibu fuel drops quick but at a zero % digital display bar on my  ‘14 axis a20 fuel read out i would have 8 to 11 gallons left with a 44 gallon tank , a long drive home or an hour of surf left at empty

I use an app and keep track of hours and fuel so I can calculate avg burn per hour. So I have a good idea how much gas I have left assuming tank is 54 gallon. Average fuel burn has been 5.45 gallons per run hour for us so far. 

On 8/16/2022 at 3:02 PM, BohBoh said:

I had my T220 down to 13% and it only took 38 gallons to fill. 

I was down to 1% indicated and it took 40 gallons to fill it back up to the 91% indicated.  So frustrating. 

1 hour ago, dalt1 said:

9 hours on my tank of mostly cruising at 24 - 25 mph and put in 58 gallons in a 65 gallon tank. To close for comfort. By the way that was some where around 120 or so miles.

How many laps on PPL did it take to reach 120 miles or so? 😁

This is what I did, you won't get a more accurate fuel reading than using the Scangauge:

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110/

If you search for "scangauge" on TMC, you'll see some more info from myself and others. I'm currently bugging the team at Linear Logic to bring J1939 to the SG3. I don't think I'm going to get any data, but I plan to connect my SG3 to my boat in the next few weeks when I have a free minute.

Edited by mikeo

I talked to Paul at Bakes last night about this.  Apparently one thing you can do to get more fuel into the boat is to refuel when its cold vs. when it's warm or hot.  The fuel tank is pressurized (actually quite substantially) and when fuel vapor is expanding/expanded the boat will not take on as much fuel as it can when it's cold.  Probably why all of us are only getting to 91% full here during the summer months. 

10 minutes ago, rennis said:

I talked to Paul at Bakes last night about this.  Apparently one thing you can do to get more fuel into the boat is to refuel when its cold vs. when it's warm or hot.  The fuel tank is pressurized (actually quite substantially) and when fuel vapor is expanding/expanded the boat will not take on as much fuel as it can when it's cold.  Probably why all of us are only getting to 91% full here during the summer months. 

I have noticed when I open up both sides of the gas tanks, the vapor is able to escape and the tank fills up all the way. 

4 minutes ago, dwc032 said:

I have noticed when I open up both sides of the gas tanks, the vapor is able to escape and the tank fills up all the way. 

only one gas door on these, unfortunately.  I used to do the two door method on my old malibu too.