Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Malibu v ride

Dii8

So I just got this boat its in great condition - the previous owner never used the boat for any water sports so he wasn't familiar with the ballast system. There is a switch to fill and drain a ballast but no bags. I hit the fill button and I think it started filling with water back right so I stopped after a minute or so and drained. My question is how do I know if this boat is equipped to fill and drain ballasts I have no clue where the water would come from In the storage compartments. Am I better off just getting fat sacs that fill and drain with their own hose and motor? Thanks 

I'm pretty sure that the 2006 Vride came with only a center ballast tank under the floor.  I haven't seen a Vride in person but I would think that there is an access door right in the middle of the floor that you can open and see the ballast tank (and probably the fuel tank toward the back) and some most likely some pumps.

1 hour ago, rothoveb said:

there is an access door right in the middle of the floor that you can open and see the ballast tank and some most likely some pumps.

The fill pump for the midship is in the rear between the engine and the vdrive (slightly starboard). The empty pump is in the small access panel (there is also a t handle drain plug here).

The v rides should have had an optional rear 200lb hard tank. (Mine did not have these, and most owners have likely stripped then out in favor of 750s) 

The midship should be labeled "mls" on the rocker; I'm not sure what the rear might be labeled

Edited by smileysteve

Just post a pic of the rear lockers and we'll be able to tell you if you have factory MLS in about .5 seconds.  The vrides all had above-the-floor ballast tanks.  So if you don't see those, and you don't see plumbed in sacks in their place, you don't have factory rear ballast (an option that a lot of vrides didn't have).

Agreed with Shawndoggy.  The great news:  If it does have those hard tanks, removing them and putting in ballast bags is a snap.  You can get very large bags in those back lockers too.  I had 1100s in my 2007 vRide and could get them pretty close to full.  You just have to man handle them a little so they maintain shape before/as you fill them.  Really good wakeboard wake.  Add a suckgate and it was not a bad surf wave either.  Not the longest wave around but you can easily ride it rope-less.