Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer winch post seems wrong?

markk

This new to me 2014 Malibu/Vanguard trailer seems to have the wrong winch post size. Does this seem safe? Has anyone ever had luck ordering parts for a 2014 trailer before?

spacer.png spacer.png

53 minutes ago, markk said:

This new to me 2014 Malibu/Vanguard trailer seems to have the wrong winch post size. Does this seem safe? Has anyone ever had luck ordering parts for a 2014 trailer before?

spacer.png spacer.png

I wouldn't trust it.  You could probably look in your area for a trailer dealer and they should be able to replace that properly.  Looks like an easy fix for somebody that can weld and get a piece of steel.  This just wasn't done right.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I look at the 2 lower bolts they are not tight. The inner steel post should be tight against the outer tube. The upper bolt has backed out allowing the inner post to be away from the outer tube. I would remove both bolts and replace. I would also make sure the outer tube has a small drain hole at the bottom to slow water out 

They do a really good job of not posting pictures bigger than a stamp on their website ;)  But from what I can see here it looks like the adjustable piece is a lot smaller than the tube it rides in.  Makes me wonder if there is some sort of "shim" missing from your trailer.  I'd consider contacting Vanguard and sending them that picture - see what they think since it is impossible to see what it should look like on their site.

image.png.6fed84ee3fcaf523a1eb012d2580c73b.png

ahopkins22LSV
13 hours ago, oldjeep said:

I'd get it straightened out and then weld it solid.  Curious why a 2014 is on a non custom trailer.  Nothing Malibu about that, Malibu provided boatmate trailers.

It was actually up to the dealer then. They could source whatever they want. Boatmate, eagle, Phoenix, etc

24 minutes ago, ahopkinsVTX said:

It was actually up to the dealer then. They could source whatever they want. Boatmate, eagle, Phoenix, etc

?? So the boats were sent to the dealer on a flatbed with no trailer?  I guess I'll count myself lucky that the local dealer put everything on boatmates.  

It is attached to the trailer with the u bolts.  Take it off and have a fab shop make a solid post.  There is no need to have it adjustable.  I am guessing that would be less than a couple hundred.

ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, oldjeep said:

?? So the boats were sent to the dealer on a flatbed with no trailer?  I guess I'll count myself lucky that the local dealer put everything on boatmates.  

Depended on the arrangement. I think they shipped boatmate trailers with the boat since they are basically neighbors but I think some were shipped without. It is definitely more streamlined now.

Thanks for the replies. This forum is great! The trailer does say Malibu on the side. I attached more pictures. These pictures were when we first picked up. The post seems straight in these pictures. Now that I think of it, the guy who winched my boat out the first time said the post moved on him when winching. I am a newbie but it seemed like the angle they pulled me out on was very steep. Maybe it stripped the bolts winching it at such a steep angle? But why would there be this big of a gap between the two posts?

Edited by markk

Maybe it stripped the bolts winching it at such a steep angle?

More likely what happened is that the inner post collapsed around the bolts inside the tube if they were winching super hard and the inner tube is as rusty as it looks.  That type of adjustable height winch post is inherently weak

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

definitely extend the bow D ring safety chain to the trailer frame or use a ratchet strap.  As currently configured, the short chain attached to the removable post is a decoration at best. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:18 AM, oldjeep said:

Makes me wonder if there is some sort of "shim" missing from your trailer. 

Maybe it does have a shim, but it fell down into the tube.  Try removing the upper post and using a magnet to fish for a shim.  I agree with welding it once it is back in place.

On 8/10/2022 at 5:59 AM, oldjeep said:

for years Malibu dealers out here put everything on SBT trailers to save on shipping weight across the country. getting a boatmate was special order only

49 minutes ago, Stevo said:

for years Malibu dealers out here put everything on SBT trailers to save on shipping weight across the country. getting a boatmate was special order only

We must be special.  Nothing but boatmate around here.  No idea what a SBT is.