Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winch loading heavy boats

WakeandLake

WakeandLake

We just traded in our trusty axis at the beginning of the year for a 2021 M220, but are having some issues loading it on the trailer. With our Axis we could consistently power load without any issues, but after a couple times doing that with the M220 we had an unfortunate clipping of the prop guard on the trailer and had to have the prop straightened out. I really don’t want to have to power load again after that, but have found that I’m simply unable to pull the boat up to the eye ring by just cranking with the winch (even after backing down a bit at a time until the bumper is under water). Does anyone have a method or any tips for loading such a heavy boat on the trailer? Do we need to go and get a stronger/electronic winch? We have absolutely loved this boat for our first 60 hours, but when it comes to putting it on the trailer it’s always a little tricky. Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

I had the exact same issue as you.

we changed out our winch for a 2:1 (something like this: https://www.fultonperformance.com/product/fw32000301_two-speed-trailer-winch)

Now I have someone gently drive the boat onto the trailer as far as it will go, without power loading. then I connect the winch and have the someone in the boat put it into low speed forward gear to assist me while I winch the boat on.

it is a lot more work, but no more issues.

• Thanks 1

Malibu's trailers use under powered winches which is unfortunate because it forces us to switch to a stronger winch assembly.  My 24 MXZ came with only a 1500 lb winch capacity.

• Like 1