Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing & Pass Through Wind Blocker Lost

ORsurfer

Hi Crew. First off, just a big thank you to this forum--after owning a 2005 VLX for about 10 years we made a big jump this year and just brought home a 21 A22. All the forum detail, information on the boat and reviews here on Malibu Crew were priceless int he process. 

IMG_1906.thumb.jpg.f2ef1960bbfcb186b9348e43552590e1.jpg

We're pretty thrilled with it - have only had it on the water once but the forward leap in 16 years of technology is great, and a big fan of the look and relative simplicity of the Axis. 

We picked it up a long way from home and while we were towing it back, experienced something I'd never seen before - driving through an area known for being windy I was taking it pretty easy heading over a pass (60-65 MPH) and a gust of wind hit and pulled the plexi / plastic wind blocker out of the boat and blew it back on the highway. I stopped and ran back to get it - despite the wind blocker being hit by a couple big rigs it was just scuffed up and still serviceable, so I put it back in. A few hours later - same thing except this time it was dark and narrow and I couldn't rescue it. 

My question: Has this ever happened to anyone? I can't even figure out the physics of how the wind would pull that thing out, although it fits a lot less snugly than my Malibu one, I thought this was what it was designed for? Photo below shows it installed in position - definitely more of a gap to the windshield with this one but sat pretty flush and seemed to be in there correctly. 

Related - anyone found an easy way to replace one? I have searched the forum and most info jumps to topics like "if you have a CNC machine" (which I don't). Would love to be able to buy a replacement as we trailer a fair amount and want to protect the interior / keep the seats in. Already reached out to Bakes but haven't found anything online or in the forums. 

IMG_1921.thumb.jpg.28ef7c8f1dd47347a59176c1a6e98383.jpg

That is strange.  I've towed over a hundred Axis boats with the wind dam in without one blowing out, including a few 2022 Axis A22.  Was the bottom of the wind dam resting on the center bow cushion when you put it in, or was there a gap between it and the cushion?

Yeah, I was shocked to see it happen not once but twice on one trip. I share your experience though - I've logged a LOT of miles with the wind dam in and couldn't believe what I saw. 

Yes, it was pushed all the way (firmly) to the center cushion and seated correctly in the channels on either side.