Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding and wakesurfing questions from a newbie

platon20

For wakeboarding, I can get up and move heel side and toe side back and forth across small wakes with small amount of ballast (rear tanks filled 25%).  How do I do basic jumps?  Is it just turning more aggressively/faster towards the wakes?  Or do I need to put more ballast in?  Or both?

For wakesurfing, I can get up OK but I don't know how to get in a position to let the wave carry me so I can let go of the rope.  I'm about 15 feet back, do I need to be a lot closer to the stern?  I guess I just never feel the power of the wave pushing me forward, all of the energy is being supplied by me holding the rope.  

56 minutes ago, platon20 said:

For wakeboarding, I can get up and move heel side and toe side back and forth across small wakes with small amount of ballast (rear tanks filled 25%).  How do I do basic jumps?  Is it just turning more aggressively/faster towards the wakes?  Or do I need to put more ballast in?  Or both?

Lots of things, but try cutting harder and standing tall at the wake. If your legs feel like shock absorbers, you won’t get any air.  You probably don’t need extra ballast at this point. 

Definitely dump all ballast for wakeboarding, your stock wave is plenty to start with. And probably want to shorten rope to 60ft or less (wake isnt as wide).  I like @Maas suggestion of Shaun Murray videos, he has some good ones.

For surfing, I'm sure lots of threads, and I  addition I'd suggest gotta move around the wave, from way out in flat water then back almost straight behind the boat and somewhere in there should be a big change in push.  Also it's way different than wakeboarding stance where you are always leaning away from the boat. Surfing is More like skiing or snowboarding where you need to lean down the hill. Think about skateboarding down a slight hill, if you try to lean back you'll fall on your butt, gotta stay upright and lean forward a bit.

Also may help to let crew know your wave settings and board and weight, if you have a bad combo there, everything gets more difficult