Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat won't line up on trailer correctly

platon20

Just bought a new 2022 24 MXZ.

The first time the dealership took it out on the water with me, the dealership salesman power loaded the boat onto the trailer so I didn't have to winch it up.  I didn't really pay attention to the bunks at that time.  Obviously that was a big mistake of mine.  

The second time when I took it out myself, the alignment is definitely wrong.  The boat is extremely difficult to winch up to the stand.  When I pull it up with the winch, there's a very noticeable scraping noise that wasn't there before.

When I get it all the way up to the bow eye, the rear trailer bunks are not lined up right, the boat is shifted too far to the starboard side.

I've tried loading it several different ways and it doesn't make a difference.  I tried loading with the top the of the bunks 3 feet out of the water, 1 foot out of the water, 6 inches above water, 6 inches under water, 1 foot underwater, and still loads too far to the starboard side no matter the depth of the bunks.  

I currently have 4 hours on the engine and it's still in the break in period so I have to take it back to the dealership for 10 hour service anyways.  The dealership is about an hour away.

Is this situation an emergency that I have to take the boat back to the dealership ASAP?  Or can it wait for the 10 hour service.

Update:  found an old thread on this forum with similar issue and it sounds like a common problem.

The issue is that the Malibu stern floats side to side when the bunks are more than 2-3 inches underwater and the trailer guide posts are too wide to guide the stern back into the proper position for loading.

So I'm going out tomorrow and going to take the boat off and leave the bunks a few inches above water line.  Winch is too weak to bring it to the bow roller so will have to power load the boat (which I really don't want to do but will have to suffice until I get a stronger winch or alter the guide posts somehow)

Edited by platon20
10 hours ago, platon20 said:

Winch is too weak to bring it to the bow roller so will have to power load the boat (which I really don't want to do but will have to suffice until I get a stronger winch or alter the guide posts somehow)

On my 2019 25LSV I would start shallow. I would power load until I had the nose above the roller. I would then crank the strap tight, but I couldn’t pull the bow eye all the way to the roller, because it was too heavy. Next I would sink the trailer until the boat floated just enough. I would then crank the boat to the bow eye. 
FWIW  I ran a lot of lead, and we have a very steep ramp. 
it was not uncommon for my trailer hitch to be under water when finally pulling the boat up. 

Also, pull the boat out VERY VERY slow. 
They will typically line up unless lead or weight causes them to be unbalanced. 

Edited by Sparky450
11 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Next I would sink the trailer until the boat floated just enough. I would then crank the boat to the bow eye. 

I tried that but every time I back up (even just a little bit), the stern starts floating and when it starts floating the guide posts are too wide and the stern wanders side to side and won't be lined up on the bunks properly.

Try finding 2 pieces of closed cell foam that equally take up the gap between your guide posts. This will center the boat assuming the guide posts are straight and centered. Might take a bit of tinkering to get the method dialed and repeatable..  I've had to do this on one particular ramp where my boat tends to pull portside when loading. Another option is to have someone in the boat hold a guide pole (centering the boat) while sitting in the boat during winching.  

When I put the trailer in the water to retrieve the boat I barely submerge the front (Closest to the truck bed) of the top bunks(Maybe 3-4 inches). This allows me enough room to power the boat on the trailer and then winch it up the last few inches. This way the boat is centered on the bunks and is about 50% floating still. 

I have a 21.5 Ft VLX so probably a little easier since it is much lighter but a suggestion. 

My wife comes in hot and usually not centered, the bunks straighten it out every time. 

• Like 1
On 7/31/2022 at 10:19 PM, platon20 said:

I tried that but every time I back up (even just a little bit), the stern starts floating and when it starts floating the guide posts are too wide and the stern wanders side to side and won't be lined up on the bunks properly.

A few things from your post comments, based on my experience:

1.  The winch and strap are not designed to drag a 6,000 lbs boat up a carpeted bunk that is not under water.  If you're cranking the hell out of the winch and not getting the eye up to the roller, you're not in deep enough.

2.  If you go in too deep, there isn't any resistance, the boat will not only float around at the stern, but when you clear the water, the strap will stretch a little from the weight of the boat going backwards as you exit the water, and then you no longer have the bow up tight on the roller.  Any maybe crooked too.

3.  Super, most important tip:  When you pull the tow vehicle forward, after you have the bow cranked up to the roller, go SUPER SLOW.  I see my boat drifting around a little like you mention.  As I pull the truck forward very slowly, and I can see it self-center.  If I pull forward too fast, it can land crooked on a bunk.  Slow is the way to go.

4.  Super second most important tip:  Don't keep 87 people on the boat when you put it on the trailer.  Unload people.  It should just be the driver on the boat, or at the most a second helper if needed.  A lot of extra weight of people moving around could cause a list that keeps you crooked.

I back in my trailer until just an inch or so of the forward bunk is visible above the water.  Visuals help in this scenario so here is what I mean:

image.thumb.png.82d383de4ff773df8b2dbb45b3d3c5ae.png

My typical launch ramp plan goes like this:  I back the trailer in to the depth shown above, and have one of my kids or my wife drive the boat onto the trailer.  The few inches of exposed bunk catch the bow and bring the boat to a stop.  I clip the winch strap on and ratchet up as far as I can move it without putting tons of strain on the strap or bow hook.  Then I have the driver give a little forward throttle while I crank the winch at the same time, until the bow is up nice and tight to the roller.  Shut off the motor, and then slowwwwwwwwwwwwly pull forward and the boat centers perfectly 99% of the time.

If the bunks just don't seem to follow the right contour of the hull, then you may have an issue with trailer fitment that will need the dealer's help to resolve.  They should match the hull contour from bow to stern.  Here's the stern fit on my '08 with a Boatmate trailer:

image.thumb.png.afee5e4cec5f6d2bd6c0b8d2ae742f4b.png

Good luck!

Edited by EchelonMike

Lots of great advice here! I work at a dealership and launch a handful of different boats sometimes daily and they all need to be at different depths. One thing I will say the Malibu’s are the hardest to center for some reason. Not sure if it’s the flatter hull or wider guideposts but they sway around a lot in the back even when shallow.