Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Alternator Upgrade

Hey Crew!! 

So I just fried the alternator on my 2016 23 LSV with the 450 motor in it. Does anyone know the output of the current alternator or the part number?

I want to upgrade to one with higher output and Balmer recommended a 170 amp model with a Vortec mount. They weren’t sure what I have now since they didn’t start doing the alternators for Malibu until 2020. I want to make sure it’s an upgrade, and does a Vortec mount setup make sense on a Ford motor? I’ve linked the recommended one below. 

Recommended Model

Any thoughts? I can’t get to the boat right now and need to order this ASAP. Thanks for your help! 

Indmar has a 170 amp alternator upgrade kit for the 6.2 Raptor engine (non-supercharged).

495947 KIT, 170 AMP ALT UPGRADE 6.2L FORD.

170 AMP ALTERNATOR KIT INCLUDES ALTERNATOR, BRACKET, WIRING, HARDWARE AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Thank you! I see that online now. It’s $1,300 and on back order of course. Also, that alternator does 80 amps at idle where the Balmer one does over 100. I wonder if I need all that stuff or if I could just get the Balmer one with the right mounting setup. Hmmmmm

If you upgrade and don't use the kit, you can't just upgrade the alternator.  You have to update the harness too.  It is plug and play and is just from the alternator to the posts with bigger fuses, but the wire gauge is beefier.  Just don't forget that part.  The current wiring isn't likely to be able to handle 170 amps.  

@LS1boarder Make sure it also has ignition protection and is marine grade.  The alternator is one of those parts that you can't swap for an automotive one.  It is extremely dangerous if you do.  I haven't pulled this one out in a long time, so don't hold me to it, but I believe it is USCG title 33.  The alternator should mention in the specs that it meets that one.  

4 hours ago, JeffK said:

If you upgrade and don't use the kit, you can't just upgrade the alternator.  You have to update the harness too.  It is plug and play and is just from the alternator to the posts with bigger fuses, but the wire gauge is beefier.  Just don't forget that part.  The current wiring isn't likely to be able to handle 170 amps.  

Good call! I have a great boat mechanic on the job, I’ll make sure he looks at all that. 

4 hours ago, JeffK said:

@LS1boarder Make sure it also has ignition protection and is marine grade.  The alternator is one of those parts that you can't swap for an automotive one.  It is extremely dangerous if you do.  I haven't pulled this one out in a long time, so don't hold me to it, but I believe it is USCG title 33.  The alternator should mention in the specs that it meets that one.  

Thank god it happens to be USCG 33 certified. I didn’t know to check that before ordering, good lookin out!

Here are the general specs for this series of alternators. 

Balmer XT Series

• Like 2
  • 1 year later...
macklca

Hello LS1Boarder.  I have the same boat and considering the 495947 upgrade kit because of a thruster I had installed.  I know it’s been a few years on this thread but do you recall how many hours your mechanic quoted you to install it?  Mine is saying up to six which seems a little high. Thanks!