Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Few questions about buying used slalom ski

chadwick02

Hey everyone!

Im in the market for a ski and boots for my self. Rockon.gif This is my first time buying a stick for my self. Ive been using “hand me downs” for the past several years. I have progressed well in the past few years and have started to ski the course. The boots I will ask about later in a different thread. (Looking at fluid motion hardshells, and that is a whole different can of worms.)

In the last year I have ridden on a few KDs, HOs Obriens and Connollys. Ive tried those and I have learned a lot, but I want to try some more before I settle down with one.

I want to demo a few different skis and see which ones I like the most. I know a few manufactures have demo programs, but they cost 100-200 bucks each! :unsure: What I’m thinking about doing is buying a few used skis, trying them out, then selling them. Ive got a bunch of different bindings kicking around, so I should be able to find hole patterns that match just about anything.

I would like to try at least a few of the listed below, most importantly the top 4

Goode 9700 and\or 9800

D3 Nomad

HO Monza

Radar MPD

If I can:

D3 X5?

D3 Cx7?

KD 7000

KD CR7

I have done some research on these skis, and have read the independent tests, and user opinions of them. If anyone has any opinions, or has one of the above for sale, please speak up!

My question is this: Is buying a used (one or 2 year old max) ski risky business? Are there hidden defects and imperfections that can lead to major failure, but cannot be immediately seen? I know with snow skis there can be broken fibers and internal ski wear, which over time leads to a very flimsy ski that performs completely different from how it should. This flex and wear can not be seen by the eye, it only becomes apparent over time with use. Do slalom water skis have this same issue? Or am I safe to assume that as long as they are intact, they should be in good mechanical shape?

Also – are extra binding holes in a water ski bad news? I know snow skis can be re-drilled about twice and that’s it, but I’ve seen water skis drilled many times. Is this ok?

Any advice is welcome. Im new at this! Thumbup.gif

Thanks in advance,

Chad

What line lenght/speed are you currently skiing in the course? What's your're weight/age?

All of those skis are top of the line skis and many people say you may want to ski the skis one level down until you're consistently skiing 22 off. There is a school of though that says you'll advance quicker on a more forgiving ski. Others say get as much ski as you can handle right off the bat.

I'd also try the nichols waterski board for questions like this. These questions have come up quite a few times over the last few years there. My answers are based on what other there have posted and not from personal first hand experience.

My question is this: Is buying a used (one or 2 year old max) ski risky business? Are there hidden defects and imperfections that can lead to major failure, but cannot be immediately seen?
It's generally not a risky business. There can be hidden defects in brand new skis that cause failure too. Most of the defects will be seen because unlike snow skis, the strength of the ski is primarily in the skin. There is a discussion about how flex may change over a few years of heavy use, but with the skis you've said you want to buy it shouldn't be a problem. Most people who use the ski that hard would realize it's shot and I would hope would not sell it. However some will sell it just to get some $$$.
Also – are extra binding holes in a water ski bad news? I know snow skis can be re-drilled about twice and that’s it, but I’ve seen water skis drilled many times. Is this ok?
Extra binding holes in the skis you've listed are a bad thing. They aren't an issue in the fiberglass skis of old, but on the Carbon skis you listed, they're a bad thing. Too many holes work like a perforations in a piece of paper and may lead to premature catestrophic failure, particularly if they go across the ski.

Overall, There may also be set-upissues for binding and fin placement that you would need to consider as well as the differences in length and flex of individual skis of the same make & model. Some poeple find a particular ski they really like, don't buy it, and can not find another that skis the same.

If you're able to travel, you may want to try one of the ski schools where they test some of the brands like Chris Rossi's place in Orlando, H2Osmosis in Charleston, liquid edge in Illinois. Best of all, these places also offer great instruction that will help you progress faster.

Thanks for your response.

I am consistently skiing 15 off at 36mph. I started 22 off end of last season, but did not have much time to work on it, and I was having a tough time making it. Im a pretty big guy - 200ish lbs and about 6’

I do realize that the skis I am looking at are pretty high end – but I am gona try to “get as much ski as you can handle right off the bat.” If it doesn’t work out, I can always sell it. Since I’ll buy it used I wont loose my shirt.

I have always wanted to try a ski school too – thanks for the recommendation. I ski with a pack that’d got some amazing skiers in it, so they have been able to provide lots of instruction. I’m sure it does not compare to a few good sessions at a good ski school though. Maybe this summer…

Thanks again for all you’re advice,

Chad