Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2023 release Date

MMBtu

On 7/13/2022 at 10:31 AM, gregtay said:

That is the messy thing about Malibu's new model year launch.  The new MY boats will be orderable and some will start showing up at dealers (and a few people will take delivery and told not to talk about their new boats) before Malibu actually gets around to officially announcing the new MY and changes.  So there is no clear answer to "when".  Dealers might already be ordering MY23 boats today.

This is the dumbest thing Bu does.  Selling boats that haven't even been advertised or marketed yet. I took delivery of my 2019 in July of 2018 and they launched 3 new features in September that I would have wanted.  Will never do that again!

• 1 month later...

Just read they are incorporating a rudder position sensor in the new MY boats.  I would love to have that feature.  Having to turn the wheel all the way to one side then back to figure it out has always been a PITA.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MTSurf said:

Just read they are incorporating a rudder position sensor in the new MY boats.  I would love to have that feature.  Having to turn the wheel all the way to one side then back to figure it out has always been a PITA.

Another sensor to beep at you when it fails, just like the hull plug sensors they tried.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have been using a demo '23 over the last few weeks and the rudder sensor has never been something I really thought would be that helpful but it, along with the thruster, have been nice additions to play with.  I don't think I would pay extra for either, but I can see where it helps with the overall user experience.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, bcoppess23 said:

I have been using a demo '23 over the last few weeks and the rudder sensor has never been something I really thought would be that helpful but it, along with the thruster, have been nice additions to play with.  I don't think I would pay extra for either, but I can see where it helps with the overall user experience.

How does the rudder position sensor work?  I'm imagining some sort of cool animation or rendition on the display that shows the position of the rudder...but I may be falling victim to wishful thinking.

1 minute ago, MTSurf said:

How does the rudder position sensor work?  I'm imagining some sort of cool animation or rendition on the display that shows the position of the rudder...but I may be falling victim to wishful thinking.

You are spot on..  It is another icon on the dash that displays when the boat is below a set speed (bottom right icon on center display).  You can see it on the Malibuboats.com website if it doesn't link here.

image.thumb.png.8a58a705458d7ade4569870e98cbfd15.png

That is exactly what I was imagining...and would be one of those small but super helpful features...at least for me.  I wonder if it's something a dealer can retrofit?  I'll have to ask.

Thanks for posting the image!

Edited by MTSurf

We were boarding this weekend and had some wind that would turn the boat as we were switching riders and we were boarding in a narrow part of the lake.  With the thruster and rudder indicator, I was able to line the boat up in the direction I wanted to go and just start out going straight instead of having to arch out to get it straightened.  Nice application for sure... just hard to justify the thruster.

I agree with @UWSkier, absolutely not necessary, but I still think it is nice feature, especially powering off the trailer and not having to guess where the rudder's at until you are free of the rails.  

Edited by jjackkrash
  • Like 2
On 9/27/2022 at 3:03 PM, UWSkier said:

I guess for amateur/new drivers, the rudder position indicator would be a welcome feature.  But honestly, if you've been around boats for more than 2 months, you should be able to tell where your rudder is pointing before putting down any power.  Even taking out the slack in a surf rope is enough distance to know if your rudder is straight or not...

Wow, always has to be someone throwing shade.  Glad you got it all figured out...and felt the need to make a negative comment about what someone else might find a bit useful.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:10 PM, bcoppess23 said:

You are spot on..  It is another icon on the dash that displays when the boat is below a set speed (bottom right icon on center display).  You can see it on the Malibuboats.com website if it doesn't link here.

image.thumb.png.8a58a705458d7ade4569870e98cbfd15.png

That's pretty cool.  What does this 'option' cost on the build sheet?  It looks like every '23 my dealer has in stock has this feature.  

Edited by Five Cent Worth
typo
3 hours ago, Five Cent Worth said:

That's pretty cool.  What does this 'option' cost on the build sheet?  It looks like every '23 my dealer has in stock has this feature.  

No clue.. I am not in the market for a new boat.  Just been fortunate to use two different 2023's while my boat has been down and out this summer.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:58 PM, MTSurf said:

Take your hands off the wheel when you take off - problem takes care of itself automatically.

• Like 3