Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Picking up another Barefoot Boat (...an Outboard this Time)

JB-FOOT

So, I have decided to buy an old Mastercraft 1991 Barefoot 200 Outboard

Going next week to pick it up in Florida and bring it back to Pittsburgh to play with for the rest of the summer here in the Burgh. then probably take it back home to Florida for the winter.

I have been contemplating trying an outboard for years. We will compare it to the Malibu Flightcraft Sportster inboard we have been footing on since I sold my 454 Echelon a couple of years back. 

Gonna be a new learning curve driving this new one for sure. 

Not to mention having to respect the "Cuisinart" hanging off the transom when we get in the water and when we re-enter the boat... :(

I have footed behind a Malibu Flightcraft Outboard with Ron Scarpa and his wife many, many years ago. Needless to say it was fantastic.

I have never footed behind the BF 200. but I hear good things (not as good as the Flighty OB's) about these and the Sangers OB's as well. 

The BF 200 will give us some more room in the boat. 

Hopefully I can get footing time on it by next weekend.

Anyone else Footed behind a 1991 Mastercraft Barefoot 200 Outboard?

Any Pointers on driving this boat for footing would be appreciated by Experienced Barefoot Outboard Driver/Owners

Thanks

JBFoot 

Retired and Loving Life as I Please

• Like 2

it was a long time ago but it was s great wake,  i think you will think you died snd went to heaven,  i like how it has reasonably high sides compared to the other barefoot outboards and as you said great room

@JB-FOOT you have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke on it? As far as any tricks, make sure the hydraulic steering is bled out. Air in the lines makes it very grabby to steer. Normal operation should be 1-2 finger steering.

Chine spray is a little wider than Sanger OB or Flighty OB, but not too bad. Some people have extended the rear platforms some, to make it easier to get in and out.  Maybe add a ladder. :)

With outboards I turn the the engine off a lot more than with an inboard. You are no beginner, so you will be enjoying it very well and safely. Enjoy it.

On 7/15/2022 at 8:23 AM, footndale said:

@JB-FOOT you have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke on it? As far as any tricks, make sure the hydraulic steering is bled out. Air in the lines makes it very grabby to steer. Normal operation should be 1-2 finger steering.

Chine spray is a little wider than Sanger OB or Flighty OB, but not too bad. Some people have extended the rear platforms some, to make it easier to get in and out.  Maybe add a ladder. :)

With outboards I turn the the engine off a lot more than with an inboard. You are no beginner, so you will be enjoying it very well and safely. Enjoy it.

Thanks Dale

My 1st boat was a 1964 16' Glastron with a Merc 1000. and that was my last outboard as well. so it's been a long long time since I've owned one.

I have footed behind a Flightcraft Outboard before, but I didn't drive it.

It is a Mercury EFI 2 Stroke

That's not a bad idea about the platform.

turning the motor off, that makes sense too...Don't need to be spitting smoke and oil on us while we get in and out, not to mention the Ronco-Bass-O-Matic hanging off the back... :)

JB.

Other than saying it was the first boat I went long line behind

getting back into the boat could be a challenge.

Mike didn't offer to let me drive. So no experience there

I've heard they are weight sensitive more so than the other OB barefoot boats  mentioned

not related

I saw a sweet Sanger DXII Barefooter with the tower extension on the Yough

I have no experience with that particular boat, but I have driven a lot of outboards.  You will love the trim and tilt, not to mention actual directional reverse.  The hole shot will probably not impress you, though.

Turn off the engine and step on the cavitation plate to board the boat.  Nothing will jump out and get you.

I also recommend a stainless prop since they are much more durable and have better performance than aluminum.  What brand engine?

Any pictures yet?

I footed behind our team's mid 80's Hydrodyne with twin 250 two strokes and the wake crossings are effortless, even when compared to my Echelon.  The team also has a single engine 'Dyne, and that one is also super smooth, the combination of the flat hull and outboard engine (even when trimmed all the way down) seem to be better than an inboard, I think the wake was like 3" tall and super easy to foot over when doing a figure 8.  I've gone behind our 2021 Response Txi and it was like footing on a bed of base balls inside the wake. 

WELL, Sadly we are driving home today with Nothing in the Rear View Mirror.

the boat wasn't for me. when doing the pros and cons of the boat, not the wake, the Cons won.

Tender? that was one thing that I wasn't expecting to be as bad or sensitive I expected!!!

Oh Well, guess I will be footing tomorrow AM behind our current BF boat, the Flightcraft Sportster.

So, the search Continues

Ken W, was the Yough boat for sale?

Thanks to you all for your comments and input

20 hours ago, Kenw said:

No it was not.

Sangers are like unicorns around here. First time I saw it on the lake.

Really surprised there is not an outboard BF boat in your quiver.

Ken 

I am trying to put one in the mix. but I may just look for a nice Malibu Sportster (not another Flight Craft Sportster) with a bigger engine like the Monsoon or even bigger if I can find one.  

since none of us are competing, we would possibly be better with the Recreational Barefoot wake then the Tournament Barefoot Wake (bigger Trough for tricks).

14 hours ago, Kenw said:

JB

Turns out John Cornish owns the Barefoot Sanger. He said he still has his Barefoot Nautique as well

LOL

of course he does

Never seen a brendella OB but was pushing the wife hard for a brendella a while back before we got our sunsetter. Shes not a fan of the closed bow boats though. 

45 minutes ago, mxmark4 said:

Never seen a brendella OB but was pushing the wife hard for a brendella a while back before we got our sunsetter. Shes not a fan of the closed bow boats though. 

There are 4 boats on my body of water. 2 our friends and we use. Nice boats.

23 hours ago, footndale said:

There some OB Sanger and Flighty's out there still and for sale, even a Ski Brendella OB.

The Sanger Wood Scares me as does the Flightcrafts prior to Malibu making them with Composite materials.

re-considering going back to an Echelon 454. lots of room, good wake for footing with the right prop, and NEVER having speed issues!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE....

Pulled  the trigger on a 2000 Sanger DX II Barefooter

Very Clean, less than 600 hours on boat

hope to get it out on the water this weekend

Having New Custom Cover made this week

Thanks to everyone with their input!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JB-FOOT said:

UPDATE....

You will enjoy it. The lack of chine spray will be nice, compared to your previous Echelon. 

On 8/24/2022 at 6:18 AM, JB-FOOT said:

UPDATE....

It's nice to hear that your regular pals will get to keep their normal emergency department visit appointments!