Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing pics

josh_tn

I tried wakesurfing for the first time today. I got a 2004 Landlock(5'6") about a week ago. I was able to get a feel for it but I still need to work on the weighting of the boat to get a better wake. I was able to let go of the rope for about 15-20 seconds on my last try(see the last pic). It is a really cool feeling to be able to go without the rope even if for a short time. Can't wait to get out there and try some more.

5-13-05%20lake%20pics%20030.jpg

5-13-05%20lake%20pics%20037.jpg

5-13-05%20lake%20pics%20038.jpg

5-13-05%20lake%20pics%20040.jpg

I'm sure those of you that wakesurf a lot can critique my form and give me some pointers.

Do you have a 500 hanging on that side of the boat and another on the floor on the same side?

I just have the stock 600 lb rear sac on that side plus the center locker sac(around 400lbs). There is also a 300+ lb guy sitting in that corner plus another guy in the observer seat. I had to turn slightly to the left to get the wake to curl at all.

I just have the stock 600 lb rear sac on that side plus the center locker sac(around 400lbs). There is also a 300+ lb guy sitting in that corner plus another guy in the observer seat. I had to turn slightly to the left to get the wake to curl at all.

We used another 500 on the rear side, plus the Wedge and 2 or 3 people sitting on the back. ~1500 lbs total.

Driving at ~11 mph in a circle with ~100 yrd diameter.

The wake was perfect. The boat was in up to the rub rail.

I thought about trying another sack in the rear corner on that side. I don't have the wedge but I think with another 500 lbs back there it would probably make a big difference. Seemed like 10.5 mph worked best with our setup today and our circle may have been too large a radius.

Do you have the extra sac plumbed in through a dash switch or just hang the pump over the side when you use it?

I thought about trying another sack in the rear corner on that side. I don't have the wedge but I think with another 500 lbs back there it would probably make a big difference. Seemed like 10.5 mph worked best with our setup today and our circle may have been too large a radius.

Do you have the extra sac plumbed in through a dash switch or just hang the pump over the side when you use it?

No, we have a '95 DD. We put the back seat up on the arm rests, 2-550's in the back corner with a locker sac in the front, and the Wedge. I have outlets wired to a switch but the pump goes over the side. At least for now.

Great pic's.

Thanks for all the input and feedback. I was definitely having a blast. How much trouble is it to add a wedge? I don't think it has the plate installed or anything.

adding a wedge might require some professional help. i'm pretty sure your boat wasn't built w/ the wedge support at the transom. i might reccommend weighting all along the side of the boat as well. that will lengthen the wave/ke.

nice wake! i wish i could get mine that big. we're at the rubrail already.

i was able to get the wave/wake on my rlx perfect yesterday. we used 3-220 sacks behind the driver, the wedge, and a guy on the back seat.

it was awesome, it wasn't huge by any means, but riding ropeless was effortless.

Edited by madchild
adding a wedge might require some professional help.  i'm pretty sure your boat wasn't built w/ the wedge support at the transom. i might reccommend weighting all along the side of the boat as well.  that will lengthen the wave/ke.

I think that would be a question for Malibu. My '95 came with a Wedge.

You should check with your dealer, but adding a wedge to your boat would definitely be something that would not only be useful to you now in using the boat. It would also add to the resale value of the boat if and when you decided to sell. I think a win-win situation for you.

I went again today and really got a good feel for it after a few runs. I was able to ride ropeless for over a minute most of the time. I'm really starting to like wakesurfing. I bought the boat for wakeboarding and only took one set all day. The rest of the time was all surfing. It is quite addictive.

During my one wakeboarding set, I was a bit disappointed with the wake though. I have 1200lbs rear ballast and 400lbs in the center locker. There were 2 other people in the boat and the wake seemed really rampy. I thought since I don't have any bow ballast that it would be much steeper. I couldn't seem to get much pop. Any thoughts or ideas on weighting that might help. I rode once behind a DD sunsetter and the wake was awesome. Its one of the reasons I bought this particular boat. I'm not sure how he had it weighted but it was much bigger and steeper than mine.

...During my one wakeboarding set, I was a bit disappointed with the wake though. I have 1200lbs rear ballast and 400lbs in the center locker. There were 2 other people in the boat and the wake seemed really rampy. I thought since I don't have any bow ballast that it would be much steeper. I couldn't seem to get much pop. Any thoughts or ideas on weighting that might help. I rode once behind a DD sunsetter and the wake was awesome. Its one of the reasons I bought this particular boat. I'm not sure how he had it weighted but it was much bigger and steeper than mine.

throw some weight in the bow. maybe 300 lbs. i say 300 because you seem to have plenty at the transom. Shocking.gif

Mine is really rampy until I put the wedge down, and then it gets a lot more peaky. You might want to seriously consider earlier suggestions to have a wedge installed.

Daniel

BTW, I'm ordering my surf board today, hope to try it out this weekend.

josh

It happened to us too. Although we did take a surfboard to the test drive, we had every intention to mostly wakeboard.

Last year was 90% surf.

This year so far 100% surf.

Here are some pics as I promised before. This is my second day of wakesurfing.

josh%20surf2.jpg

josh%20surf4.jpg

Here's one of my brother:

jake%20surf1.jpg

Here is a short video clip of me too. wakesurf video

Had a blast!!!