Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

EV Ford vs. Chevy V8

COOP

8 hours ago, teamerickson said:

"The first one through the door always gets bloody!" 

True. There is one Ford Lightning Platinum for sale locally for $159,950, but no one is fighting over it.

Edited by Bozboat

Until they can get a much better battery density, these electric trucks are worthless for towing outside of local towing.  Even if we get more chargers and faster charging, that range is way to low to be useful.

24 minutes ago, cowwboy said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34277725/ford-f-150-range-extender-ev-pickup-patent/

I still don't understand why they aren't selling these yet. They have the patent and it would make the trucks more useable.

I was kidding.  How silly to take an already overweight truck and then add a gas generator to it which takes up bed space.  There is already a simple and cheaper solution - buy a gas truck;)

• Like 2

I wonder if Ford would ever look to put the Powerboost powertrain into a 3/4 ton SuperDuty of if that'd cannibalize too many diesel sales.  I'd take that over Godzilla for sure for towing my camper.  That big generator is sweeeeet.  I want that powertrain with enough payload to tow a 30 foot travel trailer comfortably.  My current half ton is right at the limit and we pack light.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, cowwboy said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a34277725/ford-f-150-range-extender-ev-pickup-patent/

I still don't understand why they aren't selling these yet. They have the patent and it would make the trucks more useable.

This is absolutely laughable!

If you need gas to help run your EV truck, your admitting the EV truck is useless. Its as funny as the pics of diesel generators being used to charge EV cars that ran of juice on the highway.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, COOP said:

This is absolutely laughable!

If you need gas to help run your EV truck, your admitting the EV truck is useless. Its as funny as the pics of diesel generators being used to charge EV cars that ran of juice on the highway.

Not necessarily. It makes sense for people that use their truck as a daily driver and occassionally use it for a long haul trip. For example, my scenario would be the perfect use case. Entirely EV truck for daily driving and weekend trips to the lakehouse. Essentially a hybrid for the once a year camping trip we take the boat on, plus a power bank and generator for the campsite. For people that do long haul more often, a hybrid like the Powerboost makes more sense.

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Interesting but not the same as a smoking diesel

Jimmy: what you do last weekend?

Timmy: Stepdad took me to the EV pull.

Jimmy: What Why? Sorry Dude.

Can you imagine Empire of the Sun with a P51 Cadillac EV of the Sky?

Everyone standing around getting trashed on whiteclaw.  Yee haw

• Haha 3

this idea EV’s, not the extra stupid idea of the range extending generator, is nuts.

the neighborhood grids that cant support a fleet of charging Ev’s

the house box service that slready has a 200 panel used up necessitating a new 100 amp service the neighborhood cant support 

you think gas is expensive now,  wait till the oil companies spot refine gas to the lesser demand of a world with a lot of ev’s

real estate is an expensive commodity,  the size of industrial/commercial level charging stations will be too stupid to contemplate  

haven't heard ONE (NOT EVEN ONE)  real world story of someone traveling and it being a success

long way off????? how about virtually impossible for this to work as a world energy solution

the ravaging of mother earth to get battery materials, fracking sites look like disneyland compared to mine sites 

oil companies are good for this country snd provide excellent jobs

we find bigger snd bigger snd bigger  reserves  because the “fossil fuel” moniker was simply marketing for oil companies, oil is made every day by earth and no limited supply of dinosaurs was ever involved 

libs, they just cant help themselves

• Like 2

Great news! They just announced a Panasonic EV battery manufacturing plant to be built in DeSoto Kansas (about 30 min west of Kansas City). So we will now mine all the needed material consuming lots of diesel, ship to the US (Marine Heavy Fuel Oil), ship it to the middle of the country (with diesel) to be assembled, then ship it out to the car manufacturing plants across the country... (more diesel). I'm confused how this EV idea is better for the environment. The plant does come with an estimated 4,000 minimum wage jobs and a $800 million tax benefit to Panasonic from the state. 

Not to mention the energy consumed/ greenhouse gas released to build such a plant.

I dont get it

I don't get it.

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

this idea EV’s, not the extra stupid idea of the range extending generator, is nuts.

the neighborhood grids that cant support a fleet of charging Ev’s

the house box service that slready has a 200 panel used up necessitating a new 100 amp service the neighborhood cant support 

you think gas is expensive now,  wait till the oil companies spot refine gas to the lesser demand of a world with a lot of ev’s

real estate is an expensive commodity,  the size of industrial/commercial level charging stations will be too stupid to contemplate  

haven't heard ONE (NOT EVEN ONE)  real world story of someone traveling and it being a success

long way off????? how about virtually impossible for this to work as a world energy solution

the ravaging of mother earth to get battery materials, fracking sites look like disneyland compared to mine sites 

oil companies are good for this country snd provide excellent jobs

we find bigger snd bigger snd bigger  reserves  because the “fossil fuel” moniker was simply marketing for oil companies, oil is made every day by earth and no limited supply of dinosaurs was ever involved 

libs, they just cant help themselves

Oil companies have not invested in expanding refinery capacity in the US for at least the last 20 years in anticipation of gas demand going down. What you think is happening is already happening.

Also, stop believing false science. Otherwise, no one can help out of your delusions.

12 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Great news! They just announced a Panasonic EV battery manufacturing plant to be built in DeSoto Kansas (about 30 min west of Kansas City). So we will now mine all the needed material consuming lots of diesel, ship to the US (Marine Heavy Fuel Oil), ship it to the middle of the country (with diesel) to be assembled, then ship it out to the car manufacturing plants across the country... (more diesel). I'm confused how this EV idea is better for the environment. The plant does come with an estimated 4,000 minimum wage jobs and a $800 million tax benefit to Panasonic from the state. 

Not to mention the energy consumed/ greenhouse gas released to build such a plant.

I dont get it

I don't get it.

That's incredibly shortsighted. How are you going to convert to EV transportation without building the ability to build it in the first place? Transportation of materials will always be required; that's the nature of a global economy.

4 minutes ago, Tsumi said:

That's incredibly shortsighted. How are you going to convert to EV transportation without building the ability to build it in the first place? Transportation of materials will always be required; that's the nature of a global economy.

I guess my questions are ... Will doing all this actually result in a favorable result? This will lower our carbon footprint? This is better for the planet? Will doing all that is needed to make this a success result a better experience for the consumer? 

6 minutes ago, Tsumi said:

Oil companies have not invested in expanding refinery capacity in the US for at least the last 20 years in anticipation of gas demand going down. What you think is happening is already happening.

Also, stop believing false science. Otherwise, no one can help out of your delusions.

I'd like to correct you on a couple of points.  Oil companies HAVE in fact expanded refining capacity in the last 20 years.  How do I know this??  I built part of one of the expansions.  So, if you're going to jump on here and chastise someone, perhaps you should do some homework first.

Also, there is nothing shortsighted about @BlindSquirrelor his comments.  It's a different perspective that yours, which has value, but is also factual.  

4 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

I guess my questions are ... Will doing all this actually result in a favorable result? This will lower our carbon footprint? This is better for the planet? Will doing all that is needed to make this a success result a better experience for the consumer? 

Short answer....

No.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

This same line of questioning is applicable to wind power.  I find it fascinating that we spend approximately $1M to install a wind turbine (not including the cost of the turbine), then fill it with 50-100 gallons of petroleum based lubricant.  Then, we bury the blades when their lifespan is up.  And, to your point, massive volumes of diesel are consumed in the transportation of the components, and construction of the sites.  It's perplexing, and politically motivated meaning it's necessarily the best solution. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Slayer said:

This same line of questioning is applicable to wind power.  I find it fascinating that we spend approximately $1M to install a wind turbine (not including the cost of the turbine), then fill it with 50-100 gallons of petroleum based lubricant.  Then, we bury the blades when their lifespan is up.  And, to your point, massive volumes of diesel are consumed in the transportation of the components, and construction of the sites.  It's perplexing, and politically motivated meaning it's necessarily the best solution. 

Agreed on the cost/ return on investment/ impact on the environment with those. Pretty mind-blowing. Isn't the lifespan like 15 or 20 years on those blades? After that, they are buried or trucked to the only place that will recycle them in Missouri. The visual impact is two fold.... You can see we are working to make clean energy... but also they change the landscape in a big way. I was driving on I-80 through Iowa a few weeks ago and was amazed at the number of those turbines on both north the south side of the highway in the corn fields. At night the red lights on the tops all blinking in wonderful synchronization every two to three seconds. Maybe I'm just getting old an am starting to resist change... but when change makes sense.. I'm all in.

4 minutes ago, BlindSquirrel said:

Agreed on the cost/ return on investment/ impact on the environment with those. Pretty mind-blowing. Isn't the lifespan like 15 or 20 years on those blades? After that, they are buried or trucked to the only place that will recycle them in Missouri. The visual impact is two fold.... You can see we are working to make clean energy... but also they change the landscape in a big way. I was driving on I-80 through Iowa a few weeks ago and was amazed at the number of those turbines on both north the south side of the highway in the corn fields. At night the red lights on the tops all blinking in wonderful synchronization every two to three seconds. Maybe I'm just getting old an am starting to resist change... but when change makes sense.. I'm all in.

I agree with you.  Blade span depends on how they perform in service.  They have an inspection frequency and if damage is found, they're removed and replaced if not repairable.  Some of them are not recycled.  They actually get buried underground. 

It's funny.....here in MI in the northwest portion of the lower peninsula on the coast of Lake MI, wind turbines were shot down.  It's a highly desirable area due to prevailing winds.  The political climate there is very liberal.  They all want to ban coal, ban fossil fuels, and scream for green energy.  However, when proposed there it was shot down because they didn't want their view of the water obstructed and didn't want the peace of silence disturbed by the constant swishing sound of the blades. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Slayer said:

I'd like to correct you on a couple of points.  Oil companies HAVE in fact expanded refining capacity in the last 20 years.  How do I know this??  I built part of one of the expansions.  So, if you're going to jump on here and chastise someone, perhaps you should do some homework first.

Also, there is nothing shortsighted about @BlindSquirrelor his comments.  It's a different perspective that yours, which has value, but is also factual.  

Yes, existing refineries have expanded, but how many have shut down/been repurposed at the same time? Overall capacity increased a small amount, but will be declining in the future since no oil company plans to build new oil refineries in the US.

And yes, it is considerably shortsighted to use diesel fuel of transportation as the argument against producing batteries. Far more valid arguments would be the sustainability of the materials used in manufacturing batteries, especially the ones that have to be mined and isn't easily recycled.