Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What did you Pay? Should we ask or not??

wakeup

Tell or no tell?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a NEW boat?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a USED boat?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• CLOUT1

• auto

• Madmanacrossthewater

I think you guys are mixing up "Mark up" and "Margin".

I got the hook up in Houston. PM or email me if you want me to put you in touch with the guy. I paid much less for my '08 LSV. MSRP was 85000. After reading a few prices, I got a hell of a deal! Yahoo.gif Let me add, this guy didnt know me from the next guy and was straight up from the get go. The rest of my boats for my life will be Malibu one, because its a great boat, but two the salesman showed me "Malibu" customer service. I never thought of shopping him because he was a straight shooter. Darryl Moore's Marine Spring, TX.

Edited by masterdinh
  • 3 months later...

So lets all rethink this issue. I do a system for a dealer and I get low balled into 15% over my cost. They jack that price to the consumer for 60% higher than they paid me. These dealers are making more profit margins off my stereos than I am making. I won't give pricing since that is unfair to the dealers. RIGHT BOYS AND GIRLS? Who is actually getting the shaft here? Not the dealers. They don't build the boats. They show them and say sign here.

I agree there are great salesmen and women in the industry. I know there are great dealers as well. Why try to get rich off someone else? Oh I forgot that is the american way. Let someone else do the work and I will upsell to my customer.

My friend is a VW sales person. He makes between 100.00 and 600.00 in comission per car depending on the cash incentives and so forth. Well That is not a lot of money and if he is telling me the truth, the car sale doesn't pay the bills. The service and sale of parts do. So why is the boat industry's different where they are making a killing all the way around?

What gets me is I can pay so much for a boat and ask for a button up malibu shirt in the deal, and I am told no. They didn't make enough to afford a 60 dollar shirt thrown in the deal. I am glad everyone defends the dealer. I say list the prices. I want to get my new boat at a killer deal. If it feeds my salesman for a week, 3 meals a day (150.00) and the dealership is one step closer to Bankruptcy after upselling the little guys stuff for more than they make, I say GO FOR IT. Thumbup.gif

What should MSRP be on a 2008 LSV wakesetter? Ballpark

What "SHOULD" the MSRP be? probably $40,000

New boats are way over priced IMO. Cry.gif

The market says they are not, maybe the market will say different one day. :)

Prophetic

• 2 months later...

You guys think we should start a poll of what % people are getting off MSRP. We could have 3 seperate votes for the past 3 years boats to see the significant change in deals on the MSRP. That way theres no actual prices paid, just anonymous percentages. Like a vote for 5-10% off, 10-15, 15-20, 20-25, 30+ off. I think it would be interesting at least, just dont want to do it if it will upset people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't see a reason one way or the other. I just bought a 2008 LSV from Tim @ Salinas Valley Marine and got a ridiculous deal. I paid less for a new boat than what most 1-2 yr old used LSV are listed for. If you are in the market for a new boat now is the time! :-)

PM me if anyone needs more details.

• 1 month later...

Very Interesting point, i'm very new to this forum and finding it not only useful but insightful, pardon my spelling, i usually use MS word. As you can see I live in Hong Kong most of the time and i'm look at purchasing a Wakeboard boat, because i just love it, but i have no prior knowledge or experience in boat, it was really hard for me to determine what is a fair deal or not, you see i don't want the dealer or factor to go broke, one man gain is one man lost, what i want is "true market value" a fair Win-Win, so i'm happy with the price i pay and don't feel rip off,

So really i'm asking for all your help if anyone can sent me their Pricing for a 2009 VLX, i'm looking at just a ball park figure because when i price my option out with the sheet Malibu provide to me, it was like 70,000 USD not including shipping yet, and since i live across the ocean I can't get demo, dealer visit or anything, so please, generous people of Malibu fans, please help me out, thanks a lot.

P.S Anyone ever travel to HKG, PM me and so we can go wakeboarding and you guys are probably expert in this sport compare to me, HAHAHAH, THX

• 3 weeks later...
Very Interesting point, i'm very new to this forum and finding it not only useful but insightful, pardon my spelling, i usually use MS word. As you can see I live in Hong Kong most of the time and i'm look at purchasing a Wakeboard boat, because i just love it, but i have no prior knowledge or experience in boat, it was really hard for me to determine what is a fair deal or not, you see i don't want the dealer or factor to go broke, one man gain is one man lost, what i want is "true market value" a fair Win-Win, so i'm happy with the price i pay and don't feel rip off,

So really i'm asking for all your help if anyone can sent me their Pricing for a 2009 VLX, i'm looking at just a ball park figure because when i price my option out with the sheet Malibu provide to me, it was like 70,000 USD not including shipping yet, and since i live across the ocean I can't get demo, dealer visit or anything, so please, generous people of Malibu fans, please help me out, thanks a lot.

P.S Anyone ever travel to HKG, PM me and so we can go wakeboarding and you guys are probably expert in this sport compare to me, HAHAHAH, THX

you don't want to pay for that with a cashiers cheque for more than the cost of the boat to cover, you know, other expenses....do you?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
So, what do the moderators say about this? Will I be shunned if I listed my price on here?

List your discount off MSRP. It's more accurate because options can add a lot of additional cost to the boat.

• 1 month later...

Dealers would like that even less because percentage off MSRP removes all gray areas and really pinpoints the final price paid. After 6 pages of batting this one around, I have come to the conclusion (for myself) that it would be unfair to the dealers to list prices here. PM would be a different story. That is more like telling your neighbor what you paid, and only if he asks. That seems fair to me.