Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What did you Pay? Should we ask or not??

wakeup

Tell or no tell?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a NEW boat?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a USED boat?

• YES
    • NO

Madman & Doug, I'm with you. I say, group hug!! :lol:

If you buy a boat, new or used, and want to post how much you paid for it. Fill your boots. You have the right to free speech and if you choose to exercise that right who are you or I to crap on someone for that.

Posts about how much people paid for their new boats would be interesting reading.

A dealer making a fair profit on a boat should not fear someone posting how much it cost.

Service work will always be there for a local dealer regardless of where the boat was purchased and I would think the service dept. makes a healthy profit for any dealer.

In an ideal world, yes that's true. Every business owner has a right to make a profit, that's why they're in business. But the problem is that it isn't an ideal world. Having that information out there puts the dealers in the uncomfortable position of having to defend & justify their profit margins. What may be perceived as a big margin may not be that way at all, yet the dealer would have to time & again justify that. When the business owner is running an honest shop, that's not right, yet it happens all the time (speaking of businesses in general, not just boat sales).

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• CLOUT1

• auto

• Madmanacrossthewater

Not to mention that the quickest way to end the offering of a "great deal" is to tell everyone in the world about it. A dealer might offer an exceptional to someone to raise some quick cash for any number of reasons. If he then had to turn around and sell every boat at that price (or discount) then the original deal wouldn't happen. If you got a great deal, be happy with it and enjoy your boat.

I feel that a general idea...price range or % off MSRP is a good idea. That isn't screwing the dealers or the buyer who may be completely in the dark. Up here in the Northeast unlike perhaps Cali. and Texas I have two dealers, one in Mass. and one in CT. 300 plus miles doesn't exactly spur competition in my book. I also would have to say that these days with so many options in a new boat missing one or two in a price comparison could easily throw you off by $1,000 - $2,000...stereo, speakers, Perfect Pass, so on and so forth. As far as a dealer goes...I'm in sales and I would have to say that the relationship you have with your customers and your level of customer service is huge, so if your giving good service expect to get the sale and repeat customers and if not then...lets just say the next boat I buy, I'll probably be heading to up state New York!!!

Edited by CLOUT1
A dealer might offer an exceptional to someone to raise some quick cash for any number of reasons. If he then had to turn around and sell every boat at that price (or discount) then the original deal wouldn't happen. If you got a great deal, be happy with it and enjoy your boat.

Yup!

lets just say the next boat I buy, I'll probably be heading to up state New York!!!

Oh no, not there. He's REALLY hard to get along with. Biggrin.gif

I feel that a general idea...price range or % off MSRP is a good idea. That isn't screwing the dealers or the buyer who may be completely in the dark. Up here in the Northeast unlike perhaps Cali. and Texas I have two dealers, one in Mass. and one in CT. 300 plus miles doesn't exactly spur competition in my book. I also would have to say that these days with so many options in a new boat missing one or two in a price comparison could easily throw you off by $1,000 - $2,000...stereo, speakers, Perfect Pass, so on and so forth. As far as a dealer goes...I'm in sales and I would have to say that the relationship you have with your customers and your level of customer service is huge, so if your giving good service expect to get the sale and repeat customers and if not then...lets just say the next boat I buy, I'll probably be heading to up state New York!!!

You're less than satisfied with the fine dealers in the Northeast?

Actually, I've been treated extremely well by EFC, and the guy in CT, if it's still the same guy, always treated me well when he was in Maine. I've got nothing but good things to say about them. I was surprised and sorry to hear you imply otherwise.

The guy in my avitar is Ramon, and he was pretty proud to pose for that photo.

I have talked to the guy in Ct. in regards a MMDC problem last year...he helped me and sold me the part, unfortuantely not the problem but not really his fault. The guy I dealt with in Maine at Panther Run was a good guy but is no longer around (where I originaly bought my boat)??? Not enough pages to talk about ECFC...AWFULL service and even worse now that they have added Cobalt and Fountain to the line up...My $20k sunsetter isn't worth their time apparently?!?!?!

I bought mine at Panther Run, which had some kind of affliliation with ECFC. My service was done at Panther Run, which was excellent. The guy I think you're talking about at Panther Run, is now at ECFC.

I am on the side of full disclosure amongst buyers. I understand that the boating industry is not nearly as commoditized as the auto industry, so there may never be an "Edmunds" of the boating world, but I don't understand how sharing ad hoc pricing information is a bad thing (from the buyer's perspective). As buyer's we will certainly have to weigh all the variables, but having a price to start with, in weighing the variables, is better than no price at all.

Car dealers are having to change with the times (some more effectively than others) but they still are able to survive, even though we all have a pretty good idea of their margins. So, I think that sharing ad hoc information is not going to hurt the boating industry.

That said, this is a community that includes dealers and I can completely understand that a dealer is going to have a different perspective than me. So, since I want the dealers to be a part of our discussions, I think limiting discussions to the vague "% off MSRP" is entirely appropriate.

I fail to see how we are screwing any dealer by posting what we paid for a new boat. Let's get real here. Any thread that contains what someone paid for a new boat is going to have more than its share of responses reminding people that there is more to a deal than just the price - extra incentives, location, time of year, etc, etc...

I agree that the 10-15% off MSRP rule works to some point. The more options you add the closer to 15% the deal should be.

And while I'm lucky enough to have a great dealer and most of us most likely have honest dealers that won't screw with a customer no one can argue that there aren't dealers out there that will jack you on price if they can. If I can help level the playing field for buyers by letting someone know what I paid if they ask, I won't hesitate to let them know.

And for those of you that say you wouldn't... would you still keep quiet if a friend or neighbor was looking for a new boat that was the same as yours and working with the same dealer. I gotta believe that everyone on here would help out.

My $.02.

Mike

Edited by mlange

I don't mind telling people what I paid for my boat. What's the big secret anyway? I shopped around to get the best price I could, traveling to three states. Prices varied by $9,000. I was not that concerned with service because I know the Bu's are reliable tried and true boats and I planned on doing all my maintenance myself. If I didn't like the price, like on the other two major brands, I just moved on to another dealer. Most people would lie or stretch the truth anyway.

Maybe we could have a section of the site for reporting what new boats actually cost. The year, model, options, and price would be reported, as well as what, if any trade was involved. The buyer's identity and location would not be reported.

I noticed that the Yes votes are catching the No votes on the "New Boat Prices." Interesting to hear that electricjohn saw a $9,000 price difference between three states...if all options being equal, I'd drive to Tenn. or Texas to save nine grand...ROAD TRIP!!! Yahoo.gif

"For Malibu Boat Owners, By Malibu Boat Owners".

We're here for the crew, not a dealer, even if we have crew members that are dealers. I have no issues sharing what we've paid for boats. If helps the community overall I think it's a better good than the bad of any dealer impact. Why wouldn't we want to share to help a friend.

Why wouldn't we want to share to help a friend.
What about CrewMember A who thought they got a good deal but then CrewMemberB posts that they got a much better deal. Now CrewMemberA feels like their dealer took advantage of them when in actuality it could be a difference in options, a regional difference, or CrewMemberB could just be a lying sack'o'$#it. The result could be a consumer that feels cheated, a dealer that gets an undeserved rep for being overpriced, and a dealer - consumer relationship ruined...for what?

Just playing devils advocate. Biggrin.gif

Good point, I can go on an on which doesn't add value.

MHO: Sharing is caring, anything that's not regional difference should be the same. Otherwise it's greed and car salespeople like mentality. Don't kid yourself that everyone in sales takes opportunities when presented, otherwise they are not good at sales and ultimately not in sales long.

We're here for the crew, not a dealer, even if we have crew members that are dealers. I have no issues sharing what we've paid for boats. If helps the community overall I think it's a better good than the bad of any dealer impact. Why wouldn't we want to share to help a friend.

I'm not of the belief that posting the exact price does help out a crew member. Right now Malibu has arguably the best tow boat available in the market and without a doubt the best price of the top 3 manufactures for their product line. I still believe the % off MSRP is the best way for a crew member to get the best deal from their dealer. 10% off is pretty standard and 15% off is about as good as anyone (that I've seen) get. That should be enough.

Why wouldn't we want to share to help a friend.
What about CrewMember A who thought they got a good deal but then CrewMemberB posts that they got a much better deal. Now CrewMemberA feels like their dealer took advantage of them when in actuality it could be a difference in options, a regional difference, or CrewMemberB could just be a lying sack'o'$#it. The result could be a consumer that feels cheated, a dealer that gets an undeserved rep for being overpriced, and a dealer - consumer relationship ruined...for what?

Just playing devils advocate. Biggrin.gif

If someone's relationship with their dealer is ruined because they find out that someone else got a better deal, then I'd say they are a wiener. Welcome to the real world, we won't all get the best deals... and its not the dealer's fault that you bought at your price, its yours.

I know that doesn't quite address your point, but I thought it would be fun to say wiener. Biggrin.gif

I'm not of the belief that posting the exact price does help out a crew member. Right now Malibu has arguably the best tow boat available in the market and without a doubt the best price of the top 3 manufactures for their product line. I still believe the % off MSRP is the best way for a crew member to get the best deal from their dealer. 10% off is pretty standard and 15% off is about as good as anyone (that I've seen) get. That should be enough.

So you are saying that when you bought your 05 VLX you just walked into the dealer, bent over,grabbed your ankles and took it like a man... :lol:

No, but spending that much money feels that way sometimes Crazy.gif

I got 14% off of the MSRP and my 1st service throw in. Based on all the info I got from the crew and a few other sites I feel pretty good about it. Getting exact number on what others bought for wouldn't have helped as much as a % off. The service department has saved me several thousand when they helped me with my stereo theft episode and my sideswipe episode. I think if I bought and grinded every last $10 out of them, I wouldn't have received the 'cooperation' from the dealer that I did.

I'm not sure what bending over and taking it like a man means, you do??? Tongue.gif

Over the years I have found that I get more deals by keeping my mouth shut than by advertising what a great deal I got. In business I will give a customer that I can depend on keeping his mouth shut a better deal than his blabbermouth neighbour will get simply because I know it won't ever come back to haunt me.

YMMV