Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What did you Pay? Should we ask or not??

wakeup

Tell or no tell?  

487 members have voted

1. 1. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a NEW boat?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. Should we disclose to an open forum what we paid for a USED boat?

• YES
    • NO

I am new to this stuff, but was doing a quick search on this topic and noticed a wide variety of questions, concerns and opinions. I am curious as to your thoughts on the subject in one forum under one topic. I compiled a list of things I cut and paste from many of you on my search through the various forums (these were for NEW boats prices paid):

We should not disclose what we paid because:

- People will lie anyway

- Hurts the customer/dealer relationship

- Dealer will find out and might not give you a good deal next time

- Price may have been a "one time" discounted price due to timing/season/close out/etc.

- What does it really gain you anyway?

- Will make the dealer upset and you have to go back for service, future boats, etc.

- Might think you got a great deal, but didn't compared to everyone else; now left feeling like crap

- Too many options on boats to compare apples to apples unless fully listed

We should disclose what we paid because:

- It let's everyone know the real price of a boat vs. msrp

- Comparison of prices let's a person measure if they got a good deal

- Brings out information not known (like an Edmunds for boats) Real price paid

- Makes the dealer's more honest

- Rather find out if I got taken, so to not let it happen the next time

- Find out the real prices of options

- Compare dealers around the country and markets

- Combat price gouging

- Every part of any information is a good thing (information is power)

- Where else can we get this information?

I'm sure that is a weak list of things, but I tried to consolidate what I found for food for thought.

THOUGHTS????

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 88Skier

• CLOUT1

• auto

• Madmanacrossthewater

Telling what we paid for a new boat is a sticky lose - lose situation. Either the dealer gets hurt because they will have lots of other people asking for the same deal, which might be very hard to duplicate. Or the buyer gets hurt (after the fact) because he sees that someone else got a similar boat for cheaper. This leaves a salty taste in everyone’s mouth.

The pricing of used boats can be, and usually is, common knowledge. I have no problem in telling what I paid for a used boat (or car, or anything else), and like to hear kinds of deals others got on them.

Edited by chadwick02

I see no problems with price paid for a used boat.

My opinion of new boat pricing should be limited to a % off MSRP and any extras thrown in on the deal. Make sure the buyer knows to watch the price on their options as they can be manipulated and what options to get outside of the dealer.

I think giving an exact price doesn't do anybody any good because its rare that 2 boats go out exactly the same way. I also think if you get a really good deal it may spoil your relationship with your dealer if they find out you are advertising it all over the net.

I think I got a very good deal on my boat and that I have the balance of the good deal and the relationship with the sales/service department that has benefited me far more than another few grand off the purchase. I don't think I would have that if I kept grinding my salesperson for every last nickel or what someone else may have bought at.

When my dealer sold me my boat, he told me he was giving me a super deal and not to tell anyone (yeah, so I woudn't know that he screwed me). Turns out a Wally on my lake bought a comparibly equiped boat as mine for a lot less!! I am too ashamed to mention how much) I called another dealer asking him if he had the 2007 price list, and he gave me the exact price that my dealer charged me for a 2006 without any negotiation for a 2007...

So I think that by sharing information, we are forcing dealers to charge the same amount for the same boat. A bit like Sanger is doing.

For used boat, we cannot really compare because you can put so much or so little damage and hours on a boat.

Edited by 1FootDan

it is all part of the bargining process. if someone is being jipped than they shoould have the right to know. besides if you dont want to tell than dont and because people use it to refence prices just dont lie.

KBB/Edmunds TMV/etc. all help people know what to pay for a car.

You can get dealer invoice, incentives, kickbacks...and know EXACTLY what the dealer's profit is...

Why shouldn't we have the same help.

If this is posted...it should include comments like:

Bought a new 06 in 07

This is the 10th boat I have bought from this dealer

Bought in November

List the State but not necessarily the dealer (even though in most states it is the same thing)

Some people SHOULD get a better deal than me if they buy a new boat every year or two....but I would like not to be screwed just because I don't know any better...

I think a ballpark figure is ok on a new boat. People need this for reference, so as not to get bent over on a new boat purchase. I think if a dealer can sell one boat for a certain price then he can sell 50 for that price. Some dealers are making a lot of money and they want people to feel sorry for them. I think it should be just like cars pretty similar prices everywhere.

Honest dealer, honest prices.?

Cars, boats,and other toys are about the only things that don't have a price tag on them. If sales people need to sell things cheaper to stay afloat, then they will. If there's demand, they won't. If all the "sold for" prices are listed, people will all get a fair deal(in the same sales area).? Sounds good, no?

On the other hand, some people are really good bargainers, they won't want all the "sold for" prices listed. Should the prices be kept secret for them?

If people buy new boats often, should they be paying a fair price(because they can afford it), or get special pricing? I think they should be paying a fair price, but get some kick-backs(not reflected in the price).

Is there an econ guru on-board?

I've got more questions than answers.:)

KBB/Edmunds TMV/etc. all help people know what to pay for a car.

You can get dealer invoice, incentives, kickbacks...and know EXACTLY what the dealer's profit is...

Why shouldn't we have the same help.

If this is posted...it should include comments like:

Bought a new 06 in 07

This is the 10th boat I have bought from this dealer

Bought in November

List the State but not necessarily the dealer (even though in most states it is the same thing)

Some people SHOULD get a better deal than me if they buy a new boat every year or two....but I would like not to be screwed just because I don't know any better...

Cars and boats are apples and oranges my friend. MSRP is advertised, and the deal you negotiate is just that. There are many variables in a boat deal, trades being the most prominent.

It's up to the individual. If you walk in off the street, and you get a price, and the dealer won't hagle and tells you that'ts what he'll sell the boat for, then it's not big deal to tell what you paid, although you may not want to post the dealer.

If you have a good relationship with your dealer, and you believe that he gives you an exceptional deal for whatever reason, then it's best to keep it to yourself and promote the dealer to everybody.

Boat dealers and car dealers - there are LOTS of Chevy dealers in Houston for me to try and find the best deal. I can even go to Consumer Reports and pay ($12 I think) for a report that gives me true dealer cost and any incentives that he may be getting. There's only one Malibu dealer here in Houston. I would have to drive to Dallas (280 miles), or Austin (190 miles) to get to another dealer. I have no information on what his cost is. So, my local Malibu dealer has no competition - he has the advantage!!! I do not understand why some seem to be protective on their dealer!!!! I think I need more protection than he does!!!! Biggrin.gif

Telling what we paid for a new boat is a sticky lose - lose situation. Either the dealer gets hurt because they will have lots of other people asking for the same deal, which might be very hard to duplicate. Or the buyer gets hurt (after the fact) because he sees that someone else got a similar boat for cheaper. This leaves a salty taste in everyone’s mouth.

The pricing of used boats can be, and usually is, common knowledge. I have no problem in telling what I paid for a used boat (or car, or anything else), and like to hear kinds of deals others got on them.

Cars and boats are apples and oranges my friend. MSRP is advertised, and the deal you negotiate is just that. There are many variables in a boat deal, trades being the most prominent.

Agree completely. The only thing that I'll add is that instead of disclosing what we paid new, we can easily say what a good deal should be, based on advertised MSRP & cost of options, minus 10-15%.

I really don't like it when people disclose what they paid without any kind of caveat (location, how many times they purchased from that dealer, complete options list....it just goes on & on & on because there are way too many variables involved to really get an accurate comparison).

I dunno. I guess I can see both sides of the argument. But the way I see it, if you get what you feel is a reasonable price and your dealer provides you good follow-up service, then tell your friends locally, but not an international community of 3000 people. I can't see how the information from my dealer in Indiana has any bearing on your dealer in California.

There have been other threads that say a 10% discount from MSRP is a decent deal, 15% is a great deal. Why go any further than that? Like Madman said, there are other factors than JUST getting a great price.

How does the dealer treat you?

Did he throw in winter storage?

Does he give you good deals on equipment?

Is he quick with service?

Responsive to emergencies?

The dealer needs to make money to keep the doors open, so trying to scrape every last nickel out of a good service oriented dealer isn't a great idea IMHO.

I dunno. I guess I can see both sides of the argument. But the way I see it, if you get what you feel is a reasonable price and your dealer provides you good follow-up service, then tell your friends locally, but not an international community of 3000 people. I can't see how the information from my dealer in Indiana has any bearing on your dealer in California.

There have been other threads that say a 10% discount from MSRP is a decent deal, 15% is a great deal. Why go any further than that? Like Madman said, there are other factors than JUST getting a great price.

How does the dealer treat you?

Did he throw in winter storage?

Does he give you good deals on equipment?

Is he quick with service?

Responsive to emergencies?

The dealer needs to make money to keep the doors open, so trying to scrape every last nickel out of a good service oriented dealer isn't a great idea IMHO.

Exactly, but there are a lot of people that either don't understand that or don't care (or both).

Many of us spend in excess of $50,000 on a non-essential, some might even refer to as luxury, item like a boat and then think the dealer is our good friend because he remembers our name, provides decent service (at $100+ an hour labor rate), or gives us 10% off accessories purchases (leaving them with only a 30% profit). Well, no kidding!! Crazy.gif

Gonna defend dealers here.

Just because 1 dealer might charge more for the same boat than another dealer does not make them dishonest. A dealer pours a lot of resources into a dealership. Buildings, people, parts, demo boats, educationtraining for staff, boat shows. They are in business to make money. Business is business. We're all in some form of business or other.... we all want to earn maximum profit from whatever deal we make. Heck, when any one of us sell our houses, we try and get the absolute maximum price...... regardless of what we paid for it 6 months ago or 6 years ago. If we make a big profit, it does not make us dishonest.... it just makes us shrewd business people. Taking full advantage of a business opportunity.

As long as a dealer doesn't lie about technical features of the thing we're buying, that's OK by me. We must remember who he or she is working for..... his dealership. It's his/her job to maximize profit for his/her company.

Imagine if a new company was created.... call it "1-800-Malibu" where you could actually buy a Malibu on-line for $200 above Mfg cost. No showroom, no Demo boats, no sales people, no parts, no service. Just pay the price, pay for drop shipment, and voila.. you have your new Malibu. You would sure get a cheap boat..... but where to go for service/ Where did you get a test drive?

As consumers, we really do owe it to the dealer who has spent sales-time with us, gave us test drives, helped us through options choices, etc etc. They have mouths to feed and bills to pay. They spent their time with us..... that deserves to be compensated.

A dealer that is able to sell LOTS of boats, may be able to reduce sales costs per boat more than another dealer. He has (rightly so) the ability to discount boats more. Hence possibly more sales. Roundy roundy. A Dealer who has decided to get a stable of 20 boats for demos has a huge investment in inventory. he needs to cover.

All that to say, I think "posting" prices of new boats is not appropriate. Too may other factors. private PM's 1:1 is another story.

Asking folks about the going rate for a "used" boat is very fair game. Remember, this is a "User" site.... and we're out to help each other. It's not just the buyer that's asked what he/she should pay..... sellers also get a chance to find out what they should charge as well.

.... just my 2 cents.

Edited by doughickey

The fact is: the more educated the buyer, the more resonable they are. If I know what boats are selling for in my part of the country, I would be less likely to make an unresonable offer. In today's age, where new and used vehicle prices can be found in an instant on the internet, I really don't understand what the big "secret" on boat prices seems to be. As an educated buyer, I'll make an offer that seems fair to me and if the dealer agrees to that type of profit margin, we strike a deal. What's wrong with that?

If you buy a boat, new or used, and want to post how much you paid for it. Fill your boots. You have the right to free speech and if you choose to exercise that right who are you or I to crap on someone for that.

Posts about how much people paid for their new boats would be interesting reading.

A dealer making a fair profit on a boat should not fear someone posting how much it cost.

Service work will always be there for a local dealer regardless of where the boat was purchased and I would think the service dept. makes a healthy profit for any dealer.

If you post what you paid for your boat why not include the following:

How much money you made last year

How much debt that you have

How much you paid for your house

How many times you and your spouse have sex

My point is what you paid for your boat is personal information, not to be shared on a public forum. If your best friend wants to buy a boat and asked what your boat cost and you tell him, that is quite different than posting it here.

My opinion.

If you post what you paid for your boat why not include the following:

How much money you made last year

How much debt that you have

How much you paid for your house

How many times you and your spouse have sex

My point is what you paid for your boat is personal information, not to be shared on a public forum. If your best friend wants to buy a boat and asked what your boat cost and you tell him, that is quite different than posting it here.

My opinion.

Bill, I like how you think.

Having said that, let me take a stab at your questions

Not enough!

Too much!

Too much!

Never enough!

But sitting on the deck with my best buddy with my 3rd or 4th cold one, listening to loons after a hard day of skiing.... well, I might add a bit more detail. On this forum..... no way!

We agree.

Its hard to ensure you are comparing apples to apples when people quote boat prices, and as has been said above, its pretty much lose-lose. Negotiate as good a deal as you can get, and if you're not happy with it, walk away. When you're done with your purchase, don't look back.

I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks a "fair" profit for the dealer on a new boat sale is?

Edited by jcbatt

It's not just comparing Bu vs Bu. If that's the only dealer within a reasonable distance and you want a Malibu then that's your deal as they are not supposed to sell outside their territory. My dealer was scolded for that because I got somebody a hookup on a boat and they were out of state. That leaves you comparing your price for a malibu vs MC, CC, etc. I think that's a very private matter and would only tell my closest friend.