Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake skate set up

TAQ44

Interested in trying out this whole wake skating fad. My dealer told me it is the “funnest thing he’s ever done behind a boat” so I’m a bit intrigued. I typically surf and infrequently wakeboard. Not beginners but also not amazing at either. Anybody out there have some input on boards (type/length/style), rope distance (can I just use wakeboard rope?), speed, ballast settings, etc.??? Thanks for the input. 

On 6/24/2022 at 9:31 PM, TAQ44 said:

Interested in trying out this whole wake skating fad. My dealer told me it is the “funnest thing he’s ever done behind a boat” so I’m a bit intrigued. I typically surf and infrequently wakeboard. Not beginners but also not amazing at either. Anybody out there have some input on boards (type/length/style), rope distance (can I just use wakeboard rope?), speed, ballast settings, etc.??? Thanks for the input. 

focus on surface tricks at 16 or less mph, t handle wakeboard rope long to learn, shorter to try lip tricks, use no ballast at first then progress to wedge only or tank ballast only when ready to move those surface tricks to the lip . after surface 180’s back snd forth directly behind boat learn board side frontwards to then learn board slide backwards both directions as your gateway trick to all the other surface spins,  180’s to cuff (teach reg snd goofy 360’s are much easier to stop rotation at 360 as your first efforts end up 540’s)  teach you to you pull the rope behind you to initiate toe side spin, 360’s heal side spin are easier.  to board slide backwards 3’s snd boardslide forward 3’s that both make the 540’s, 720’s and 9’s for reg, goofy snd board slides all easier.  my fav trick at 21 mph (have to faster to pull this off) is hang ten wake crosses that over the  years lead to outside in and inside out mini wake hops hang ten .  you get to hang ten position outside wake buy shifting front foot forward first as you are straightening it to forward facing to then inching rear foot forward to join as you then wiggle both to front of board facing forward. to cross out to in you are in classic barefoot stance  hsnds cheat high, inside to out you lower your hands 

buy a cheap $99 multiply wood LF wske skate with eva  to get started and then move up as they will eventually fall apart 

now i do a complete routine involving the lip and spins.  start middle of wake: 

both 180’s, both cuff 1’s , board slide to board slide backwards both directions, bs 3 one dir to reverse direction bs 540 to bs backwards  , board slide 3 backwards to rev bs 540 to forward, go left to 360 inside out lip spin to outside wake 540 back towards wake for 360 lip outside in to opp lip 360 in to out, to outside 540 back to lip 360 out in. (learn all your spins of all variety and directions behind the boat first snd then the lip is easier snd way outside is joke easy)

now that i have lip 3’d back in middle repeat first phase boardslides all spun to opposite of what was already spun

then both direction board slide 360 ole’s spinning rope over head ,  if i fall i start at the beginning again till a succeed at whole routine,  i get in great shape by end of summer!!!

if you have shuvs snd airs and all that in your skill set have at it but remember Brian Grubb broke a leg i think skating ending up in a 1 foot on and one foot off skate in a fall!!!

Have a blast 

Edited by granddaddy55

Awesome! You’re the man Granddaddy! Thank God I’ve been a snowboarder for the past 20 years or I would have been reading Chinese 😂. That routine is incredible. No more need for me to hit the gym before hitting the lake! Thanks a ton! As far as the board type goes, I’m confused on what you recommend. You have a brand/model name? And do you prefer grip tape boards with skate shoes or shoeless boards?

21 minutes ago, TAQ44 said:

Awesome! You’re the man Granddaddy! Thank God I’ve been a snowboarder for the past 20 years or I would have been reading Chinese 😂. That routine is incredible. No more need for me to hit the gym before hitting the lake! Thanks a ton! As far as the board type goes, I’m confused on what you recommend. You have a brand/model name? And do you prefer grip tape boards with skate shoes or shoeless boards?

shoeless eva

“LF” Liquid Force wood multi ply boards with EVA often sell for $99, maybe these days more,  it will eventually fall apart but for $99 who cares, i skate a HL Nomad Catalyst 44 that is no longer easy to find 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

shoeless eva

“LF” Liquid Force wood multi ply boards with EVA often sell for $99, maybe these days more,  it will eventually fall apart but for $99 who cares, i skate a HL Nomad Catalyst 44 that is no longer easy to find 

Awesome thanks man

• 2 months later...
On 6/26/2022 at 2:36 PM, granddaddy55 said:

focus on surface tricks at 16 or less mph, t handle wakeboard rope long to learn, shorter to try lip tricks, use no ballast at first then progress to wedge only or tank ballast only when ready to move those surface tricks to the lip . after surface 180’s back snd forth directly behind boat learn board side frontwards to then learn board slide backwards both directions as your gateway trick to all the other surface spins,  180’s to cuff (teach reg snd goofy 360’s are much easier to stop rotation at 360 as your first efforts end up 540’s)  teach you to you pull the rope behind you to initiate toe side spin, 360’s heal side spin are easier.  to board slide backwards 3’s snd boardslide forward 3’s that both make the 540’s, 720’s and 9’s for reg, goofy snd board slides all easier.  my fav trick at 21 mph (have to faster to pull this off) is hang ten wake crosses that over the  years lead to outside in and inside out mini wake hops hang ten .  you get to hang ten position outside wake buy shifting front foot forward first as you are straightening it to forward facing to then inching rear foot forward to join as you then wiggle both to front of board facing forward. to cross out to in you are in classic barefoot stance  hsnds cheat high, inside to out you lower your hands 

buy a cheap $99 multiply wood LF wske skate with eva  to get started and then move up as they will eventually fall apart 

now i do a complete routine involving the lip and spins.  start middle of wake: 

both 180’s, both cuff 1’s , board slide to board slide backwards both directions, bs 3 one dir to reverse direction bs 540 to bs backwards  , board slide 3 backwards to rev bs 540 to forward, go left to 360 inside out lip spin to outside wake 540 back towards wake for 360 lip outside in to opp lip 360 in to out, to outside 540 back to lip 360 out in. (learn all your spins of all variety and directions behind the boat first snd then the lip is easier snd way outside is joke easy)

now that i have lip 3’d back in middle repeat first phase boardslides all spun to opposite of what was already spun

then both direction board slide 360 ole’s spinning rope over head ,  if i fall i start at the beginning again till a succeed at whole routine,  i get in great shape by end of summer!!!

if you have shuvs snd airs and all that in your skill set have at it but remember Brian Grubb broke a leg i think skating ending up in a 1 foot on and one foot off skate in a fall!!!

Have a blast 

16mph?? Are you using a composite deck? My Remotes need far more speed for me to consider staying buoyant or I'm really having to fight the boat to stay standing. I felt like it got infinitely easier in that 20-23mph range and eventually things started to slow down for me, but the speed was a bit much when I transitioned to the Remotes from an entry level LF EVA board. Still a little concerned about taking a board to the berries or the teeth lol

2 hours ago, psiedtsi said:

16mph?? Are you using a composite deck? My Remotes need far more speed for me to consider staying buoyant or I'm really having to fight the boat to stay standing. I felt like it got infinitely easier in that 20-23mph range and eventually things started to slow down for me, but the speed was a bit much when I transitioned to the Remotes from an entry level LF EVA board. Still a little concerned about taking a board to the berries or the teeth lol

i dont have a w2W game, strictly surface, great workout at that speed and yes i have a HL nomad catalyst that is very buoyant but could do same on an old LF multiply,  with my new centurian i haven't practiced but one time this year snd my upper body is mush, just figured out how to make decent wake at this speed and need to start the day like i used to on the axis,  do my whole run starting from beginning each time i fell until i completed it,  thx for the comment as i am going to start practicing , snd let surfing be my reward for skating

Edited by granddaddy55
25 minutes ago, granddaddy55 said:

i dont have a w2W game, strictly surface, great workout at that speed and yes i have a HL nomad catalyst that is very buoyant but could do same on an old LF multiply,  with my new centurian i haven't practiced but one time this year snd my upper body is mush, just figured out how to make decent wake at this speed and need to start the day like i used to on the axis,  do my whole run starting from beginning each time i fell until i completed it,  thx for the comment as i am going to start practicing , snd let surfing be my reward for skating

Love that! I've definitely let my skating fall by the wayside, a lot of my skill and comfortability is gone...and my upper body is also mush right now lol 

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...
Bravotango

Its a blast! 18-21mph, flats , re-entry. Basically anything you want to do is possible. Except flips and spins over 540. 

I've been riding wake skates only for over almost 15 years. It truly is way more fun and challenging than wakeboarding or surfing. 

But its something that definitely requires good water conditions to have a better time. 

7 minutes ago, Bravotango said:

Its a blast! 18-21mph, flats , re-entry. Basically anything you want to do is possible. Except flips and spins over 540. 

I've been riding wake skates only for over almost 15 years. It truly is way more fun and challenging than wakeboarding or surfing. 

But its something that definitely requires good water conditions to have a better time. 

I struggle with not “eating” the board. How do you get it to stick better? Is it all grabs?

Bravotango

Wake to wake?

4 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I struggle with not “eating” the board. How do you get it to stick better? Is it all grabs?

14 minutes ago, Bravotango said:

Wake to wake?

Yes.  I can ollie in the flats all day long, but once I hit the wake, I lose the board.

Bravotango

What board, length and speed? 

How's your w2w  strapped in? 

Heres a w2w back 180
https://i.imgur.com/ltqI3gg.mp4

w2w front 3

https://i.imgur.com/vfSP5jF.mp4

Depending on the wake shape, and how far your going you can't really have a one way that works. 

I try and setup early and not ollie (like in the flats) just pretend your floating a nice w2w on the wakeboard and just suck your legs up. More like bouncing off a trampoline, and less liek popping an ollie across the wake. 

Send me a clip of your attempt and we'll get you dialed. 

• Like 1