Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Monsoon 340 circulation hose hot

Noticed the hose coming from the lower left of the thermostat housing being hot. (C shape that goes from lower thermostat housing into the engine, I believe it’s the water pump). The heater hose also feels hot. New impeller and cleared the transmission cooler. Temp gauge reads normal at 160. Brand new thermostat. Manifolds feel warm but not hot. Took the C shape hose off and hot water came out so it’s getting water. Could there be an issue with the circulation water pump?- don’t know much about the water pump or how to tell if there’s an issue with it. The pulleys and belt are turning fine when running and I’m not hearing any noises out of the ordinary. The engine seems hot but again, it reads 160 on the gauge (which is also brand new) and no alarms going off. 

What does "feels hot" mean?  You can generally hold your hand on something under about 125 or so for as long as you want.  Above that, you will remove your hand.  Much higher than 125 and you will remove your hand quickly.

Given that 160 is higher than 125, most of the engine will feel hot.  The J hose should be at engine temperature.

Given the age of the boat, it is probably time to change those hoses if you want to pull them to have a look at the circulation pump.

Those metal J hose kits are cool, but I always had to double hose clamp the lower hose to keep them from coming loose. 

Larry at Indmar once told me they started making all of their cooling system hoses that way to justify the investment cost for the equipment they got to do their tube-in-tube exhaust systems.