Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Installing new prop shaft assembly, strut , prop , rudder assembly.

BigwakeBrad

any idea where I can find step by step instructions on how to install new prop shaft assembly, strut, rudder assembly, and coupler? and is this something I can do myself?? I purchased a 2005 Malibu 23 LSV wakesetter with 8.1L and someone had robbed all the parts from the bottom side of boat. I should have all my parts in today. Thanks in advance!!

2 hours ago, BigwakeBrad said:

any idea where I can find step by step instructions on how to install new prop shaft assembly, strut, rudder assembly, and coupler? and is this something I can do myself?? I purchased a 2005 Malibu 23 LSV wakesetter with 8.1L and someone had robbed all the parts from the bottom side of boat. I should have all my parts in today. Thanks in advance!!

did you try youtube

Check to make sure your shaft seal is good while you are at it.  It is either traditional packing or a "dripless" seal that will have a small water hose going to it.

I would install the strut loosely, then the shaft through the strut and the log, then the coupler.  Torque the shaft nut on the coupler, set the set screws, etc., but only put the coupler together with its mate kind of snug. 

Next, go back and move the strut around until the shaft lines up perfectly through the bushings.  Once you get the hang of that, remove the strut, apply 3M 4200 or 5200 sealant, and reinstall the strut.  Have someone tighten the nuts inside as you maintain the alignment. 

Now go back to the coupler and loosen it a bit and check the alignment with a feeler gauge.  At this point, you have to move the engine/transmission/v-drive to change the alignment, but hopefully you did a great job getting the strut on.  Tighten the coupler bolts to spec.

Now install the rudder.  Did they take the hull plate also?  If so, install that with 4200 or 5200, tighten it, then slip the rudder through and assemble the top parts.  Give the zerk fittings about two (three maybe since it is new) shots of grease (resist the urge to pump it full).

Install the prop with a new key.  Check to make sure it contacts the taper at the front all the way around.  If not, the key might be too tall, and you have to file it down a bit.

Maybe check the alignment again with the boat floating in the water.

• Like 3