Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

House Battery issues. Need upgrade?

Olddognewtricks

Olddognewtricks

Hey guys,

Having issues with low house battery alarm pretty routinely when I have everything running.   Will upgrading the battery help? Better alternator?

2022 23 lsv with M6

have Spotify and I-boating app installed. If I have both of those running it definitely drains the battery but even if only one of those apps and pulling beginner surfers with lots of low speed and starts and stops, filling ballasts… I always get the low house battery at some point.

factory installed ACR and batteries which are identical and appear to be group 24 and show 800 CCA on label.  

have on board noco charger and always start with full charge   

any suggestions for extending battery life?

I would first want to verify that the ACR is closed and alternator voltage is feeding the house battery, when the engine is running. After about 60 seconds of running, the ACR will close and its green light will come on. At this point, you should be reading nearly same voltage, 13.5-14.5, on both batteries. Once the engine is running, the system are mostly running off the alternator. So barring a shorted battery, the group size/capacity is somewhat irrelevant. 

Olddognewtricks

Thanks.   But where is the green light?   I only see the red switch in the battery door.
Also, I never see over about 12.6 on the house battery even when fully Charged When I switch to combined I get a reading of 13.5.   

Its not uncommon to have a New alternator go south.    

Take a voltage reading at the battery while the engine is running. you should be just over 13.9 volts. 

Fully Charge the batteries using  a shore powered charger. remove charger and  let the battery rest for 30 min then take a voltage reading,  you should be 13.4  volts. 

Take a voltage reading the next day and see if it is still over 13 volts.  If not then you had some parasitic drain on the battery. 

What type of Batteries ?  Gel Cell,  AGM,  what Brand is Malibu using ?

Edited by Rack
5 hours ago, Olddognewtricks said:

Thanks.   But where is the green light?   I only see the red switch in the battery door.
Also, I never see over about 12.6 on the house battery even when fully Charged When I switch to combined I get a reading of 13.5.   

The green light is on the ACR itself, which is likely somewhere behind the switch. Going from battery voltage to 13.5 with the switch on COMBINE, points to the ACR not functioning.