Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Boat Quality Issues

Brandonloos21

On 8/20/2022 at 2:39 PM, hethj7 said:

Does this mainly occur if you start and a rider falls before the gate is fully out?   That is what I have noticed a time or two.  

It has only failed after surf gate is full deployed.

27 minutes ago, roonedoggie said:

It has only failed after surf gate is full deployed.

I have run into this same issue on my 22 LSV. My dealer did a diagnostics and said it was a bad relay, they have replaced the relays and since I havent had issues, knock on wood.

For a temporary fix while on the water I found that if I got back up to surf speed and then changed gates to the other side the stuck gate would close at that point. Hopefully that helps! 

I`ve had my 2022, 23 LSV for about 3 months and it pains me to report how poor the factor quality control is.   I won`t bore you with the list, I'll just say that essentially almost nothing on the dash works like it was intended or represented.  The gel coat is an absolute disaster from cracks, to lam layup. The LT4 over heated the first and second time i launched the boat, both times due to lose hose clamps, one on the closed system the other on the raw water system.   To further my frustration, getting Malibu to reply is a full time job.  Sad state of affairs.  

1 hour ago, PeteL said:

I`ve had my 2022, 23 LSV for about 3 months and it pains me to report how poor the factor quality control is.   I won`t bore you with the list, I'll just say that essentially almost nothing on the dash works like it was intended or represented.  The gel coat is an absolute disaster from cracks, to lam layup. The LT4 over heated the first and second time i launched the boat, both times due to lose hose clamps, one on the closed system the other on the raw water system.   To further my frustration, getting Malibu to reply is a full time job.  Sad state of affairs.  

Sounds like a common theme. My buddy had a 2022 M220. It had a lot of problems CQ issue, motor issues, literally seats that were not even bolted in and a lot more. He has since sold the boat and went to Nautique. My 2020 has been solid, maybe 2-3 problems. There is no way I am buying another Malibu right now. We are looking at the New Supra’s. 

• Like 2
On 7/25/2022 at 12:35 PM, shawndoggy said:

Sweet harbor freight DMM @TallRedRider!  I think everyone has (or should have) one of those!

Horrible Freight gives them out for free with any purchase in NJ. The leads break under the handles due to poor soldering.

Took my 2022 m240 in yesterday for 50 hour service. Few issues to repair (led lights work sometimes, tower mister has never worked, couple speaker hissing, and front ballast pump seems to be on the fritz).  However after the last software update and fully charging the batteries the boat seems to be working much better.  Funny however is the dock hand at the dealership told me they had a lot of 2022s coming in for repairs.  Hopefully this will get all the early gremlins out. Not sure I would buy a new Malibu for a while.   My last m235 was problem free but this one not so much.   

On 7/21/2022 at 7:27 PM, TallRedRider said:

I don't keep up on the Malibu crew as much as before, but I thought that Malibu changed their voltage regulator to keep the voltage at 15V?  That is what my 2019 did.  I expected it to fry the batteries, but it did not do that in the 125 hours I owned the boat.   I think we came to the conclusion that the higher voltage really helped the electronics to function better and all 2019 boats were that way.  This seems to be a theme here that beefing up the voltage seems to keep these problems away for some owners.  

20190316_170511.thumb.jpg.c1bff81b8125cd19890dbc5aa29d8bfc.jpg

15v should not be out of the question for a very high output alternator.  Nothing can "push" current.  The only way to cause more current when charging a battery is to increase the charge voltage.  The charger is providing current across the internal resistance of the battery, and V=I*R.  More specifically, I=(Vcharge-Vbattery)/R.

I would agree that sustaining a lead acid battery at this voltage should eventually cause damage, but wet cells will tolerate it a lot more than most AGM types will. 

On 8/20/2022 at 6:59 AM, roonedoggie said:

So each time I get the sensor error they have not retracted.  This past sessions I had fewer errors. That is the problem they come and go, come and go with higher and lower incidents but never have had a session where they both don’t show up.  My issues is that it should not happen   This is my 3rd boat with surf gate and had 23LSV and 24MXZ. I never had one incident of speed control or surf gate.  As I stated beside the safety issues I have folks that are not seasoned drivers and they don’t feel comfortable driving the boat, too man distractions, etc.

Surf Gate issues continue....

• Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a 2022 M240 we took delivery in January.  We only have 32 hours on the boat, but it has been good after the first break in service.  Before that we would have blank screen after large bumps, and other warnings on the screen.  After the first service we have only had one surf gate problem, where the surf gate would not open all the way or shut all the way.  I think it might have been partly my fault, pushing to many buttons not letting the boat have enough time to respond.  I was able to get it to work properly after I put the boat back on the trailer and turning the battery’s off.  I park the boat in the garage, so it’s easy for me to plug the boat in the night before we take it out.  Maybe that helps the electrical problems, not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, Brandonloos21 said:

Wondering if you guys have had similar experiences as we have. 

We bought a new 2021 23 LSV, and just recently traded it up for a 2022 23 LSV. 

The 2022 we have experienced many more quality issues. They include cracks in the inside of the hill (fiberglass and gel cracks), screen not programmed for correct features, depth and temp transducer not working, throttle issues, board rack missing elements, chips in the center hull hatch, and bimini ripped from factory. Boat is still able to be used and operated. 

The only issue our 2021 had from factory was a broken wedge actuator, which was able to be easily replaced. 

Our dealer has been wonderful in the efforts to fix and make everything right, I just find it somewhat crazy malibu had let all of these things through their QC process. 

Have you guys seen similar things on your 2022 (compared to past new boats)?

We have similar quality issues on our 23lsv and Malibu dealers can’t fix it. Malibu has to take to the factory cut boat in half to try to fix it. 
You should file a claim with the FTC. Here is there number 1-877-FTC-HELP or on line. 

6 hours ago, Cdamalibu said:

We have similar quality issues on our 23lsv and Malibu dealers can’t fix it. Malibu has to take to the factory cut boat in half to try to fix it. 
You should file a claim with the FTC. Here is there number 1-877-FTC-HELP or on line. 

Exactly what and how bad were your issues? We just have one crack in the inner hull. They are taking it into the dealership to fix it this winter! If needed I will do so! Thankyou

Edited by Brandonloos21
On 9/4/2022 at 9:46 AM, PeteL said:

I learned about loose hose clamps on my 2021.  I started it on the hose in the driveway before I launched it and saw water spraying out of all the connections in the raw water cooling circuit.  Also saw leaks from the sea strainer.  When I took delivery of my 2022 I checked all of that before I launched it and found all to be as it should with no leaks.  Any boat I buy from this point forward, that will be standard protocol for me.  It's a worthy few minutes to validate that kind of thing before launch and frankly something that should be checked periodically.  

• Like 3
  • 8 months later...

I'm having consistent issues with my wakeboard racks on the 2022 23MXZ. It has the G5 tower with the slide off spinner racks. The pull knobs had fallen out before I got her home the first trip from the dealer and since replacing the knobs, pin and springs we have problems with the tower racks folding in in choppy water. When it does fold in the person sitting beneath them is likely to get scalped. They fold in with quite a bit of force. I contacted Malibu and sent them videos last year and they sent new pins, sleeves, springs and pull knobs but the problem is still there. Happened twice yesterday. This problem could be serious if it hits someone in the head or face. Not sure Malibu is taking it seriously. Anyone else having that problem? 

Also, gel coat issues, blisters in deck trac, screws missing in swim platform, electronic glitches.

• 4 weeks later...

@roonedoggie did you ever have hydro lock issues again? Our M6Di just hydro locked today at 50 hours….. thankfully it was at the dealer and they handled it, and there doesn’t seem to be any damage to the engine other than water in the oil. They changed the oil 5 times to clear it out. 

Our T220 has been mechanically flawless (knocks on wood) through about 90 hours, but many of the other complaints others have here persist.  The soft grip flooring material is awful, the depth finder is comically bad, the fit and finish in and out of the boat is disappointing.  Our 2007 vRide had much higher quality F&F in terms of interior panel stitching, gel coat layup, etc.  

I'm still really happy with the boat overall and feel like it's an incredible value relative to the market.

I hope Malibu is taking care of the people here who have had much larger problems. 

• Like 2

Im not thrilled so far. Lots of fit and finish issues on our 2023 Axis T220, and the transmission was toast at 20 hours. Malibu will not give our dealer an eta on a new transmission as of just under 2 weeks.  They said they are waiting on another Malibu transmission and its been over 3 weeks and Malibu does not respond to emails and is not able to give any idea at all on an ETA for shipment. Extremely disappointed the way Malibu is handling it. 

@CDAWake it was only hydro locked. I was told there was a new calibration that has fixed the problem but struggle to understand how that fixes the problem but I am not as mechanically inclined.  A year plus later still having SurfGate issues. Took in this past week, I really feel now like the dealers hands our tied.  Same tests, same results... they told me that if they replace the SurfGate mechanism and they send it to Malibu and it passes the test then they don't get the warranty $. However the dealer has followed all the protocals for troubleshooting.  The dealers sent Malibu an email asking of them to replace the Surfgate module.  If we don't get the approval then I am going to have an attorney draft a demand letter, threatening that it has created a safety issue and despite all attempts (basically re-calibrating and looking for any voltage anomalies) that it is not resolved.  Also the bigger problem for me is that sine Tommy's took over the local dealer and while I understand it is important of running a profitable business, the new ownership does not fight for the customers, caught in a corporate struggle. The old owner would have just said enough is enough, order the parts and let's get this thing fixed. Again I want to be clear this is not a reflection of the local people at the dealership... their hand are tied with ownership and Malibu.  Sounds like my day job.....

8 hours ago, N1876X said:

Im not thrilled so far. Lots of fit and finish issues on our 2023 Axis T220, and the transmission was toast at 20 hours. Malibu will not give our dealer an eta on a new transmission as of just under 2 weeks.  They said they are waiting on another Malibu transmission and its been over 3 weeks and Malibu does not respond to emails and is not able to give any idea at all on an ETA for shipment. Extremely disappointed the way Malibu is handling it. 

That doesn't sound right. Have you tried contacting Malibu directly?

865 458 5478

On 7/31/2023 at 11:55 AM, rennis said:

Our T220 has been mechanically flawless (knocks on wood) through about 90 hours, but many of the other complaints others have here persist.  The soft grip flooring material is awful, the depth finder is comically bad, the fit and finish in and out of the boat is disappointing. 

Same with my T250, minus heavy steering pull.   The amount of tiny scratches in the gel coat, loose hardware on half the seat cushion hinges, engine harnesses loose in places and rubbing on the belt, random hardware found in the bilge, PnP hoses not routed correctly from the factory, and soft grip coming up in lots of places including some large bubbles on the swim deck and pass through,....    As an automotive/manufacturing engineer, and someone who spent more than originally planned on the flagship Axis barge, the quality has been disappointing.   It hasn't stopped us from using the hell out of the boat and enjoying most every minute of it, but the way the dealer handles a lot of this stuff will sadly determine my overall satisfaction with the ownership of this boat.   That said, I'm not holding out much hope that the dealer will make things right either.  

Edited by dizzygti
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to read this thread.  I have had a couple of niggles (the bow ballast tank sometimes reads wrong or even disappears from Maliview), but it comes back.  Other than that, my 2022 M220 has been really good through almost 30 hours this summer.  I got a couple of surf gate errors, but I occasionally got those on my 2019 23 LSV.  A simple "hard re-boot" (i.e. turn the power off) seems to clear the surf gate issues.  I guess I expect some electronic problems with complexities of the boats now, the mechanical issues seem less forgiveable.

And the wave on the M200...the wave!!!!