Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Boat Quality Issues

Brandonloos21

12 minutes ago, RCorsa said:

Did the reset.  Now I’m getting power module 1 over current fault and the center drain breaker keeps hiting10amp and tripping. 

software version ml2022 20210618_001_036

You need to change the boat model now under boat configuration. It probably defaulted back to the 23 lsv. Make sure you have the M240 selected because of the quick fill and drain ballast. All the other models are only quick fill so will trip power if correct model is not displayed on the screen.

Yep did that upfront.  Getting some engine issues where I can’t get up to speed.  Check engine lights.  It’s a real mess after 30 hours of perfect usage  the electrical issues are terrible. 

Yep did that upfront.  Getting some engine issues where I can’t get up to speed.  Check engine lights.  It’s a real mess after 30 hours of perfect usage  the electrical issues are terrible. 

On 7/9/2022 at 12:05 PM, Tjards said:

You need to change the boat model now under boat configuration. It probably defaulted back to the 23 lsv. Make sure you have the M240 selected because of the quick fill and drain ballast. All the other models are only quick fill so will trip power if correct model is not displayed on the screen.

i had a similar issue.  The dealer replaced one of the power modules in an attempt to fix the starboard side surf gate that would not deploy.  Replacing the power module caused the middle and rear ballast tanks to trip when trying to drain the tanks.  It turned out that replacing the power module reset the boat model and hull iD to a generic model.  Once the model and ID were entered, it fixed the ballast draining but not the surf gate issue.  After eliminating software issues, power module, I am being told there is a sensor on the surf gate that must be bad.

On 6/30/2022 at 9:02 AM, roonedoggie said:

thought I would post to only make me feel better:rant:... I recently took delivery of my 2022 25LSV.  I am WaterSki America (now Tommy's) customer since 1997 and have taken delivery on now my 15th Malibu, yes I love Malibu, but love the dealer more... Right out of the gate I started having surf gage sensor errors on both gates, first soft errors then hard errors where is was actually logging. Then started having errors and gates sticking out but have been able to manual force the gate back by pushing the button on the dash to center.  At hour 7 I started having the cruise control start intermittently turning on and off which then lead to no engagement of cruise.  Most boat drivers are use to this function working so when it is not working, those inexperienced drivers struggle holding speed manually. I consider myself lucky in that my previous 14 boats that have been delivered have not had any problems with those boats.  We all know that the boating industry is ... well it is not like buying a car where the dealership addresses the issues when you take it in.  I was told that the surf gate issue they are seeing that quite often and are expecting with a coming software release for that to be addressed. On the cruise piece which I provided video that was subsequently sent Malibu Engineers. The Malibu engineers passed the biscuit back stating it is a boat driver error.... 

Are folks seeing these issues? You just don't get a feel that Malibu at times, again not the dealership but Malibu the boat builders gives a rats a**. Furthermore the engineers based on their response have a good working knowledge of how the coupling of hardware and software work in their design.  The point is when you problem solve you engage, look at the architecture and the engineering... is it software issue, it is a hardware issue, where are the potential failure points in the design.

Ok, I thought I would feel better after ranting... I don't. Anyone with these issues would be curious to hear and what feedback you are getting. Thanks again for listening and maybe as community we can make the Malibu product better. Cheers.

This past week took my family up to Broken Bow for a couple days of surfing. We put 8 hours on the boat and not one problem. This past week I was installing my new stereo and had a bad wet sounds amp so no stereo while we were at Broken Bow.  My guess is similar theme, not stereo, not additional voltage strain on the boat.  Just got new amp installed yesterday. Will be interesting to see if my issues return when we ride this week with a fully functioning stereo,... Fingers Crossed.  FYI, Malibu engineers have authorized the dealership to start trouble shooting the issues which include wiring harnesses, connections, etc.  What is interesting it feels like the our dealer had to convince Malibu it was not user error?! After all the notes on this thread it just baffles me where the disconnect with Corporate Malibu and the dealer network.  I work in corporate America and understand the politics... just disappointing that a product I have been buying since 1997 does not have a path or process forward to improve quality.  

I just want to be clear that this is not a reflection of the employees at my local dealership. I see the employees giving up the good fight and trying their best to work in a system that appears to be disconnected with the consumers. 

20 hours ago, roonedoggie said:

This past week took my family up to Broken Bow for a couple days of surfing. We put 8 hours on the boat and not one problem. This past week I was installing my new stereo and had a bad wet sounds amp so no stereo while we were at Broken Bow.  My guess is similar theme, not stereo, not additional voltage strain on the boat.  Just got new amp installed yesterday. Will be interesting to see if my issues return when we ride this week with a fully functioning stereo,... Fingers Crossed.  FYI, Malibu engineers have authorized the dealership to start trouble shooting the issues which include wiring harnesses, connections, etc.  What is interesting it feels like the our dealer had to convince Malibu it was not user error?! After all the notes on this thread it just baffles me where the disconnect with Corporate Malibu and the dealer network.  I work in corporate America and understand the politics... just disappointing that a product I have been buying since 1997 does not have a path or process forward to improve quality.  

I just want to be clear that this is not a reflection of the employees at my local dealership. I see the employees giving up the good fight and trying their best to work in a system that appears to be disconnected with the consumers. 

I think I heard about your boat from Chris. 

@RCorsa Mine has been at the dealer for cumulatively over a month this summer and 2 months total since I picked it up last November.  (there for the last 2 weeks)  They are still trying to figure out why my LT4 engine doesn't give full power and get up to speed when loaded. :(

On 6/30/2022 at 9:02 AM, roonedoggie said:

thought I would post to only make me feel better:rant:... I recently took delivery of my 2022 25LSV.  I am WaterSki America (now Tommy's) customer since 1997 and have taken delivery on now my 15th Malibu, yes I love Malibu, but love the dealer more... Right out of the gate I started having surf gage sensor errors on both gates, first soft errors then hard errors where is was actually logging. Then started having errors and gates sticking out but have been able to manual force the gate back by pushing the button on the dash to center.  At hour 7 I started having the cruise control start intermittently turning on and off which then lead to no engagement of cruise.  Most boat drivers are use to this function working so when it is not working, those inexperienced drivers struggle holding speed manually. I consider myself lucky in that my previous 14 boats that have been delivered have not had any problems with those boats.  We all know that the boating industry is ... well it is not like buying a car where the dealership addresses the issues when you take it in.  I was told that the surf gate issue they are seeing that quite often and are expecting with a coming software release for that to be addressed. On the cruise piece which I provided video that was subsequently sent Malibu Engineers. The Malibu engineers passed the biscuit back stating it is a boat driver error.... 

Are folks seeing these issues? You just don't get a feel that Malibu at times, again not the dealership but Malibu the boat builders gives a rats a**. Furthermore the engineers based on their response have a good working knowledge of how the coupling of hardware and software work in their design.  The point is when you problem solve you engage, look at the architecture and the engineering... is it software issue, it is a hardware issue, where are the potential failure points in the design.

Ok, I thought I would feel better after ranting... I don't. Anyone with these issues would be curious to hear and what feedback you are getting. Thanks again for listening and maybe as community we can make the Malibu product better. Cheers.

Well today was hopefully my last gremlin on my boat today…… Hydro Locked the motor.  I guess the good thing is I get a new motor, boat had 20 hours. 

My m240 needed two things. (A) the 2022 software update  and a new o2 sensor.  Boat was in service for 3 hours total and back in my possession.  Went out for an hour with no issues 🤞🏼Still a few issues (mister doesn’t work at all and be speaker is hissing) but figure I’ll wait until end of season to fix these non critical issues

• Like 2
On 7/11/2022 at 11:17 AM, ndahlberg12 said:

Anyone having issues with their boat sitting on the trailer correctly?

I feel like its very hard to get my boat centered on the bunks.  I take extra caution when on steep ramps where I know that I'll have issues, but even shallow ramps where I feel like the bunks should be catching, I end up 1" off and she doesn't sit level.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, roonedoggie said:

Well today was hopefully my last gremlin on my boat today…… Hydro Locked the motor.  I guess the good thing is I get a new motor, boat had 20 hours. 

Wait?  What? And How?

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, FX41 said:

I feel like its very hard to get my boat centered on the bunks.  I take extra caution when on steep ramps where I know that I'll have issues, but even shallow ramps where I feel like the bunks should be catching, I end up 1" off and she doesn't sit level.

I am having similar issues and more. When you load, do you take your d ring all the way to the roller?

6 hours ago, roonedoggie said:

I wish I would get a new motor.  :( 

Tell us more about this please. Which engine did you have?

14 hours ago, hethj7 said:

Wait?  What? And How?

I was launching my boat and when I tried to start it reacted as if it had no battery charge and made a slight back fire. Tried a couple times... My voltage was going from 12.7 to 9.3 so hooked up my powered jumper box. It was reading 12.7 volts and same results although this time smoke was coming up from engine compartment. Now I am in freak out mode....... what they said is that when you hit the start button, the starter will try for 12-15 seconds, so basically the starter was smoking because it could not turn the motor. The dealership is doing the diagnostic today but they told me based on what happened it sounded definitely like Hydro lock.   Apparently this happened on another M6 engine at the same hours point.

We just used the boat 3 days prior and I did notice my water temp was up about 4-5 degrees and the motor was turning about 150-200 higher RPM than usual while surfing.  Maybe something to pay attention too if you see these outcomes.

Edited by roonedoggie
7 minutes ago, roonedoggie said:

I was launching my boat and when I tried to start it reacted as if it had no battery charge and made a slight back fire. Tried a couple times... My voltage was going from 12.7 to 9.3 so hooked up my powered jumper box. It was reading 12.7 volts and same results although this time smoke was coming up from engine compartment. Now I am in freak out mode....... what they said is that when you hit the start button, the starter will try for 12-15 seconds, so basically the starter was smoking because it could not turn the motor. The dealership is doing the diagnostic today but they told me based on what happened it sounded definitely like Hydro lock.   Apparently this happened on another M6 engine at the same hours point.

We just used the boat 3 days prior and I did notice my water temp was up about 4-5 degrees and the motor was turning about 150-200 higher RPM than usual while surfing.  Maybe something to pay attention too if you see these outcomes.

Holy crap!!  I just had my 50-hour done on our boat and knock-on-wood, all is well.  We put over 100 hours on our 2021 last season and never had any engine related issues.  Only cosmetic and electrical issues.  Both boats with the M6.  I'm interested to hear a confirmation of hydro-lock.

• Like 1
On 7/11/2022 at 12:17 PM, ndahlberg12 said:

Anyone having issues with their boat sitting on the trailer correctly?

We had a boat here that one of the bunk brackets was welded to high causing loading issues.

1 hour ago, COOP said:

We had a boat here that one of the bunk brackets was welded to high causing loading issues.

I had the same on trailer #1 only it was multiple brackets. I’m on trailer #2 and some issues still persist. 

On 7/20/2022 at 3:15 PM, hethj7 said:

@roonedoggie Any indication yet as to how water got in the cylinders?

waiting on the diagnostic at this point so no word yet.  When the warranty work gets approved they send motor back to Malibu who will do a deep diagnostic.  The first test is pull the plugs and when they turn motor over is should shoot out significant amount of water.  Typically they see cracked manifold but don't know at this point.

I don't keep up on the Malibu crew as much as before, but I thought that Malibu changed their voltage regulator to keep the voltage at 15V?  That is what my 2019 did.  I expected it to fry the batteries, but it did not do that in the 125 hours I owned the boat.   I think we came to the conclusion that the higher voltage really helped the electronics to function better and all 2019 boats were that way.  This seems to be a theme here that beefing up the voltage seems to keep these problems away for some owners.  

20190316_170511.thumb.jpg.c1bff81b8125cd19890dbc5aa29d8bfc.jpg

Edited by TallRedRider

Bumping the thread, to quote myself.  It seems a lot of the electrical problems folks are seeing are improved by using both batteries, keeping the voltage less sensitive to fluctuations.  Could it be Malibu forgot why they increased the voltage in 2019, and went back to a standard voltage regulator?  

4 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Bumping the thread, to quote myself.  It seems a lot of the electrical problems folks are seeing are improved by using both batteries, keeping the voltage less sensitive to fluctuations.  Could it be Malibu forgot why they increased the voltage in 2019, and went back to a standard voltage regulator?  

While possible, I'd like to think that's not the case.  

On 7/21/2022 at 5:27 PM, TallRedRider said:

I don't keep up on the Malibu crew as much as before, but I thought that Malibu changed their voltage regulator to keep the voltage at 15V?  That is what my 2019 did.  I expected it to fry the batteries, but it did not do that in the 125 hours I owned the boat.   I think we came to the conclusion that the higher voltage really helped the electronics to function better and all 2019 boats were that way.  This seems to be a theme here that beefing up the voltage seems to keep these problems away for some owners.  

20190316_170511.thumb.jpg.c1bff81b8125cd19890dbc5aa29d8bfc.jpg

Sweet harbor freight DMM @TallRedRider!  I think everyone has (or should have) one of those!

• Like 1

I doubt that is the case.  It seems like a lot of folks are having good results so far via the software update and just tracking down loose wires.  

Prolonged thruster use may be an issue as noted for voltage and the alternator but I don’t think at this point Malibu just forgot what voltage they wanted stuff regulated out.  

On 7/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, roonedoggie said:

waiting on the diagnostic at this point so no word yet.  When the warranty work gets approved they send motor back to Malibu who will do a deep diagnostic.  The first test is pull the plugs and when they turn motor over is should shoot out significant amount of water.  Typically they see cracked manifold but don't know at this point.

So Malibu confirmed that the boat hydro locked...... but it was not due to cracked manifold.  Basically water traveled back through the exhaust system.  They compression tested the boat after water was evacuated. Compression test was good.  They had to replace the starter since it basically burned up while trying to start a hydro locked motor.  Boat is running now and hope of get out surfing this weekend. I did take the boat to the ramp and started right up.  Good thing we have a 5 year warranty, the reason I get new boats every 3-4 years.  I am nervous that the boat will be unreliable at the most inopportune moment. Now I am being picky and again the dealership has been great... when I asked if they lake tested, not Malibu's protocol. The dealership would have to get authorization to do the lake test. Again dealership is great, they followed protocol and I am not without a boat for a month.  As I stated earlier in this thread, this is my 15th Malibu since 1997 and firs time I have had any problems other then normal wear and tear.  I just would not think that the fake a lake approach that is done in the shop would simulate the same scenario that when the hydro lock occurred. Numbers game I guess... Go Malibu!!!!

• Like 1