Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2022 Boat Quality Issues

Brandonloos21

Wondering if you guys have had similar experiences as we have. 

We bought a new 2021 23 LSV, and just recently traded it up for a 2022 23 LSV. 

The 2022 we have experienced many more quality issues. They include cracks in the inside of the hill (fiberglass and gel cracks), screen not programmed for correct features, depth and temp transducer not working, throttle issues, board rack missing elements, chips in the center hull hatch, and bimini ripped from factory. Boat is still able to be used and operated. 

The only issue our 2021 had from factory was a broken wedge actuator, which was able to be easily replaced. 

Our dealer has been wonderful in the efforts to fix and make everything right, I just find it somewhat crazy malibu had let all of these things through their QC process. 

Have you guys seen similar things on your 2022 (compared to past new boats)?

1 minute ago, Brandonloos21 said:

The 2022 we have experienced many more quality issues. They include cracks in the inside of the hill (fiberglass and gel cracks), screen not programmed for correct features, depth and temp transducer not working, throttle issues, board rack missing elements, chips in the center hull hatch, and bimini ripped from factory. Boat is still able to be used and operated. 

The only issue our 2021 had from factory was a broken wedge actuator, which was able to be easily replaced. 

Our dealer has been wonderful in the efforts to fix and make everything right, I just find it somewhat crazy malibu had let all of these things through their QC process. 

My 2019 23LSV was a mess from the factory. It took a year to get everything fixed up.  I heard 20/21's were better... sorry to hear that they have regressed in 22. :-/

• Like 1

My buddy has a 22 M220 and he has several gelcoat issues like you are talking about.  I’ve heard the 20/21 quality control was much better. My 2020 23 MXZ has had very little issues and only one gel coat issue that’s half the size of a dime. 

Like I tell all my buddies, all these boats were made on a Friday. There is only a small amount of Malibu factory workers that actually care about the quality. Just pump them out as fast as you can. 

Edited by dwc032
  • Like 1

Yes.  My 2022  25LSV has more problems than my 2021 24MXZ.  I am not thrilled about it.  gel coat issues, engine (LT4) issues , electronic gremlins , etc...  :(

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Brandonloos21 said:

How do these issues make it past the dealer?  They delivered a boat to you with a ripped bimini?  With the board racks missing parts?  

30 minutes ago, Five Cent Worth said:

How do these issues make it past the dealer?  They delivered a boat to you with a ripped bimini?  With the board racks missing parts?  

Also a great question. I know they’re swamped with services, prepping and getting new boats out, getting used boats out, and probably hit with labor shortages as well. 

I believe there was a gel coat issue with the boat they had to fix as well, so perhaps it slipped by them?

All in all, there shouldn’t be any excuses. In my position, things like this wouldn’t pass through our quality control. 

Given, the interior hull cracks are cracks that need fixed. Boat is functional and I’d rather have taken delivery when we did and get fixed over winter than lose a month of boating due to them having it fixed asap. 

Edited by Brandonloos21
18 hours ago, Gene3x said:

Yes.  My 2022  25LSV has more problems than my 2021 24MXZ.  I am not thrilled about it.  gel coat issues, engine (LT4) issues , electronic gremlins , etc...  :(

What LT4 issues?  I'm getting a overheat / temp code on my M240. 

@TURNITREDRead my LT4 problems thread.  I am getting reduced power where I cannot get it on plane for wakeboarding with full ballast and 3 or more people.   No it is not in limp mode and the dealership cannot figure it out.  It is like the supercharger is not kicking in but it feels software related.

• Like 2
On 6/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, TURNITRED said:

follow up on this.  I took some time to inspect my LT4, and I think the overheat issues were due to sea strainer not being on tight.  I ran the boat a while and when i shut it off water started seaping out of the sea strainer.  I tightened that up and test drove it, ( have not surfed behind it) but didn't get an overheat code.  The real test will be when i load it down for surfing this weekend.  I have to figure though that if water can get through, air surely could as well and i could have been not priming the cooling system all the way.  

On 6/26/2022 at 2:20 PM, Gene3x said:

@TURNITREDRead my LT4 problems thread.  I am getting reduced power where I cannot get it on plane for wakeboarding with full ballast and 3 or more people.   No it is not in limp mode and the dealership cannot figure it out.  It is like the supercharger is not kicking in but it feels software related.

I've had a similar problem on my LT4 2020 M240. The fix was a clogged air filter on mine. Try running it without the air filter just to see. Mine had no power and no codes. It seemed crazy that a low hour boat would have a completely clogged air filter and probably was supposed to be cleaned at the 50 hour service my dealer did.

On 6/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, TURNITRED said:

Have you replaced your impeller and if so checked for any debris? I had an impeller go at 40 hours. on my 2020 LT4. 

thought I would post to only make me feel better:rant:... I recently took delivery of my 2022 25LSV.  I am WaterSki America (now Tommy's) customer since 1997 and have taken delivery on now my 15th Malibu, yes I love Malibu, but love the dealer more... Right out of the gate I started having surf gage sensor errors on both gates, first soft errors then hard errors where is was actually logging. Then started having errors and gates sticking out but have been able to manual force the gate back by pushing the button on the dash to center.  At hour 7 I started having the cruise control start intermittently turning on and off which then lead to no engagement of cruise.  Most boat drivers are use to this function working so when it is not working, those inexperienced drivers struggle holding speed manually. I consider myself lucky in that my previous 14 boats that have been delivered have not had any problems with those boats.  We all know that the boating industry is ... well it is not like buying a car where the dealership addresses the issues when you take it in.  I was told that the surf gate issue they are seeing that quite often and are expecting with a coming software release for that to be addressed. On the cruise piece which I provided video that was subsequently sent Malibu Engineers. The Malibu engineers passed the biscuit back stating it is a boat driver error.... 

Are folks seeing these issues? You just don't get a feel that Malibu at times, again not the dealership but Malibu the boat builders gives a rats a**. Furthermore the engineers based on their response have a good working knowledge of how the coupling of hardware and software work in their design.  The point is when you problem solve you engage, look at the architecture and the engineering... is it software issue, it is a hardware issue, where are the potential failure points in the design.

Ok, I thought I would feel better after ranting... I don't. Anyone with these issues would be curious to hear and what feedback you are getting. Thanks again for listening and maybe as community we can make the Malibu product better. Cheers.

We took delivery of 2022 23 MXZ last August. Custom ordered in February so I guess I was happy to get a 2022... Right out of the gate, I wasn't super impressed with the gelcoat. There are several spots where color was over sprayed into the white gelcoat. One spot on a corner that is completely dull and has zero shine to it. Was delivered without the mirror and a few other minor issues. The big one for me was the alternator. At first I thought it had to be a bad battery but after about 15 hours on the boat it was apparent that it HAD to be the alternator. Our dealer was great and went down and took care of the issue and has since gotten us the mirror that was screwed up.  

I have a friend who took delivery of 2022 M220 a few weeks ago and has had to have service twice before 10 hours. First one was a cut coolant line...? Quality control has gone down obviously. How do new boats get delivery with bad alternators and cut coolant lines? Oh yeah, they build them in 10 days and then don't test them. Our boat had .1 hours when we took off the trailer. Sucks to buy a $$$$ boat and be disappointed in the quality of the work when delivered.

Have enjoyed it so far but I feel like I', just waiting for something to screw up. 

• Like 1
On 6/23/2022 at 8:45 AM, Brandonloos21 said:

... Given, the interior hull cracks are cracks that need fixed. Boat is functional and I’d rather have taken delivery when we did and get fixed over winter than lose a month of boating due to them having it fixed asap. 

I suspect that this may have something to do with the 2022 quality.  With the amount of boats ordered, already very long delivery time, I suspect they may have a "get it out the door fast mentality" so that customers don't complain even more about not having the boat they ordered 7 months ago for the summer season.  I don't like it either, but for someone that got their boat in May, I would have been even more unhappy if it got held up another month for some cosmetic issue.  If the boat functions, I would also rather have it for the season and get he issues fixed when convenient for me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, roonedoggie said:

thought I would post to only make me feel better:rant:... I recently took delivery of my 2022 25LSV.  I am WaterSki America (now Tommy's) customer since 1997 and have taken delivery on now my 15th Malibu, yes I love Malibu, but love the dealer more... Right out of the gate I started having surf gage sensor errors on both gates, first soft errors then hard errors where is was actually logging. Then started having errors and gates sticking out but have been able to manual force the gate back by pushing the button on the dash to center.  At hour 7 I started having the cruise control start intermittently turning on and off which then lead to no engagement of cruise.  Most boat drivers are use to this function working so when it is not working, those inexperienced drivers struggle holding speed manually. I consider myself lucky in that my previous 14 boats that have been delivered have not had any problems with those boats.  We all know that the boating industry is ... well it is not like buying a car where the dealership addresses the issues when you take it in.  I was told that the surf gate issue they are seeing that quite often and are expecting with a coming software release for that to be addressed. On the cruise piece which I provided video that was subsequently sent Malibu Engineers. The Malibu engineers passed the biscuit back stating it is a boat driver error.... 

Are folks seeing these issues? You just don't get a feel that Malibu at times, again not the dealership but Malibu the boat builders gives a rats a**. Furthermore the engineers based on their response have a good working knowledge of how the coupling of hardware and software work in their design.  The point is when you problem solve you engage, look at the architecture and the engineering... is it software issue, it is a hardware issue, where are the potential failure points in the design.

Ok, I thought I would feel better after ranting... I don't. Anyone with these issues would be curious to hear and what feedback you are getting. Thanks again for listening and maybe as community we can make the Malibu product better. Cheers.

I have seen similar issues on our 2022 25 LSV, and I posted them in a different threads here.  From the other threads:

I also have had numerous surf gate sensor errors.  Although I think it may be somewhat our fault.  I noticed that when a rider falls, if I take my time and go slow to pick them up I have no issues.  Unfortunately our lake can sometimes be busy and it is not uncommon for a boat to be coming up behind and look like they are heading for our rider.  In those cases I have had to slow down, make a quick turn and accelerate back to the rider in case the other boat does not see them.  Our surf gates definitely do not like that.  I get a surf gate error every time doing that.  I suspect they are stowing as I slow but I accelerate before that is complete and they get the signal to deploy again before they get fully closed.  Or something along those lines.

When that happens, I have to manual force the gate back by pushing the button on the dash to center.  Again, it only happens under certain driving/turning speeds.  It may be speedometer related also.  Our previous boat had the paddle wheel and it "slowed down" much faster when bringing the throttle all the way back.  So I got used to a certain way of slowing down, turning, and picking up a dropped skier.  The new 2022 25 LSV I noticed takes a lot longer to "slow down" according to the speedometer.  I don't know if it is the GPS speedometer or the momentum of the much heavier 25 LSV,  but as I get used to it and adjust, I am getting fewer/no surf gate errors.  It would be nice if the system were a little more robust and work under a wider range of conditions.  While I seem to have been able to adjust to prevent the errors, a software update helping this would be nice.

I also had issues with the cruise intermittently turning on and off which then lead to no engagement of cruise.  I noticed it did it if I paused, or worked the throttle up and down before reaching the general throttle position for the speed I set.  If I fairly smoothly advance the throttle to the general range of the speed set, cruise kicks in as expected and I can then safely adjust the throttle within the window. Jerky movements or pausing early seem to cause me some problems sometimes.  So in some part, maybe that is driver error, although I would expect the cruise to be more robust and work under less than ideal conditions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, familyfun said:

I suspect that this may have something to do with the 2022 quality.  With the amount of boats ordered, already very long delivery time, I suspect they may have a "get it out the door fast mentality" so that customers don't complain even more about not having the boat they ordered 7 months ago for the summer season.  I don't like it either, but for someone that got their boat in May, I would have been even more unhappy if it got held up another month for some cosmetic issue.  If the boat functions, I would also rather have it for the season and get he issues fixed when convenient for me.

100%. Which is why I specified I’d rather have had it now than to wait another 1-2 months for everything to be fixed and cut into the season. Also, dealership has been more amazing getting everything corrected. We’re going to work on getting the fiberglass done up this winter. 

4 hours ago, roonedoggie said:

HAHA, Cruise control being a driver error? Set it, give it throttle to the “designated throttle percentage”, cruise at said speed. 

Did you inform Malibu that you have had 14 Malibus? And have not had cruise control issues with the previous? 

As an engineer myself, I will say that’s a horrible way to address an issue. Blaming it on the customer (with something this simple) is more or less a sign of defeat trying to defer the issue. 

• Like 3

Agree @Brandonloos21... I have video where is stops engaging all together and took video where when it has engaged with disengage for 60 second and then come back. Also have video where is turning on and off, on and off.  Will let you know what they give me an update on next steps.

• Like 2

Regarding the surfgate sensor errors.  I am getting them on my 22 25lsv as well.  I pulled this from an old thread. 

“The surf gates should be at least a half inch away (or more) from the platform when they are retracted”

I took a look at my dealers demo 22 25lsv.  His surfgates when retracted are not in contact with his swim platform.  

My surfgates when retracted are clearly in contact with swim platform.  Could this be the reason for the intermittent faults? 

Interesting discussion on surfgates and all things electronics.  Coming out of my 2021 23LSV, which had it's own set of problems, I find my 2022 25LSV has more gremlins.  Every time I get in the boat something doesn't work right.  

Last night, it was the surfgates.  They were not deploying at all.  I put them in service mode, changed rider presents, used factory presets, shut the boat down and restarted........nothing.  I finally shut it down, turned the battery switch off, then powered back up after 30 seconds and mysteriously the surf gates worked again.  While all of this was happening, there are other issues.   My blower doesn't come on every time you power up the boat like it's supposed to.  This happens probably 50% of the time.  I still have the check engine light coming on randomly with no active or inactive codes.  

After the first 15 hours on my 2021, the boat performed very well with little to no issues less the occasional start stop button not working.  I'm at 33 hours on my 25 now and I'm anxiously awaiting a similar experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Interesting discussion on surfgates and all things electronics.  Coming out of my 2021 23LSV, which had it's own set of problems, I find my 2022 25LSV has more gremlins.  Every time I get in the boat something doesn't work right.  

Last night, it was the surfgates.  They were not deploying at all.  I put them in service mode, changed rider presents, used factory presets, shut the boat down and restarted........nothing.  I finally shut it down, turned the battery switch off, then powered back up after 30 seconds and mysteriously the surf gates worked again.  While all of this was happening, there are other issues.   My blower doesn't come on every time you power up the boat like it's supposed to.  This happens probably 50% of the time.  I still have the check engine light coming on randomly with no active or inactive codes.  

After the first 15 hours on my 2021, the boat performed very well with little to no issues less the occasional start stop button not working.  I'm at 33 hours on my 25 now and I'm anxiously awaiting a similar experience.

Glad the hard restart worked for you.  I had the start stop button issue where the I couldn’t shut the motor off but that seems to have resolved itself.  

I had to on off battery the other day for an overcurrent on one of the power modules.  Ballasts wouldn’t empty right after I got the code,  battery off on restart allowed me to empty.  

I rode this morning as well and wasn’t getting green when the cruise was set.  It was kind of holding speed but not like when you’ve got the green bar.  

I just keep a list and let dealer know.  Hopefully they can address some of these items at next service.  

Think we are all seeing a few bugs here and there.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, AWADD09 said:

Glad the hard restart worked for you.  I had the start stop button issue where the I couldn’t shut the motor off but that seems to have resolved itself.  

I had to on off battery the other day for an overcurrent on one of the power modules.  Ballasts wouldn’t empty right after I got the code,  battery off on restart allowed me to empty.  

I rode this morning as well and wasn’t getting green when the cruise was set.  It was kind of holding speed but not like when you’ve got the green bar.  

I just keep a list and let dealer know.  Hopefully they can address some of these items at next service.  

Think we are all seeing a few bugs here and there.  

Yeah, we are.  From my perspective however, I would think they should have that stuff worked out by now.  It's the same system that was in my 2021 but seems more buggy this year.  I love the boat, though.  It's well executed despite the issues.  I do however wish Malibu would get their quality game together.  

Anecdotally, I recently demoed a Mastercraft XT24.  Great boat, great wave.  But it had 1 hour on it and the center tab wouldn't calibrate.  Go figure.  We in the Malibu community are not alone with boat issues.  

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, Slayer said:

Anecdotally, I recently demoed a Mastercraft XT24.  Great boat, great wave.  But it had 1 hour on it and the center tab wouldn't calibrate.  Go figure.  We in the Malibu community are not alone with boat issues.  

Yeah, and youd think a dealer would want demo boats functional. But then again if you saw a great wave I'm assuming that means they fully weighted a brand new boat so no break-in period (insert long arguement about whether break ins are necessary LOL).