Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Maliview Cruise Settings

Anyone know if there Maliview Cruise has any settings or is configurable in any way?  I'm slightly frustrated at how conservative the "over-shoot" on the cruise is when setup heavy for surfing.   It seems to really back down the throttle ramp  curve as it approaches the speed, assuming to enforce a preset over-shoot parameter or something.  But its so conservative that it takes forever for it to actually finally zero in on the set point.  Its fine for skiing but when were heavy and have auto wedge engaging as it nears the set point, it would nice to make it much more aggressive on reaching the set point and much less on the over-shoot value.  I've used different throttle control systems in the past where these parameters could be adjusted and even setup on profiles.  I'm guessing this isn't the case for Maliview Cruise and didn't find anything on my digging through the setup menus.  Just wanted to throw this out there to see if others have the same issue and better yet have found a solution that helps this situation.  Boat is a 2013 VTX.

Lower pitch propellers designed for heavy loads and quick acceleration often hold surfing speeds much better.  Most speed control issues I've seen have more to do with the propeller size and how the boat is weighted.  A propeller that is good for skiing will usually not be good for surfing.

2 hours ago, csleaver said:

Lower pitch propellers designed for heavy loads and quick acceleration often hold surfing speeds much better.  Most speed control issues I've seen have more to do with the propeller size and how the boat is weighted.  A propeller that is good for skiing will usually not be good for surfing.

Yeah that isn't the issue here, I have a 1273 prop and without the cruise ON I can be fully up at my surf speed in an instant without any struggle at all and I still have plenty of throttle leftover.  The issue is the over-shoot logic is way too conservative to me and just starts backing off on the ramp up too much too soon.  It jumps up without any struggle at all within about 2 mph then starts tapering off and that last 2 mph just really takes its time to fine tune it up to the set point.  Once there it holds it just fine.  Id much rather it error on the side of overshooting and then back down.   2 mph maybe doesn't seem like much but when surfing 9mph is very different than 10.8mph.

Even with a ski prop (1939) at ski speeds (32) it way overshoots if you initially just dump the throttle and then hunts for a while.  They really needed someone from the industrial controls realm to write their PID routine.

We just make sure to control the speed evenly after initial pull up and before the beep.  That seems to help. 

39 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Even with a ski prop (1939) at ski speeds (32) it way overshoots if you initially just dump the throttle and then hunts for a while.  They really needed someone from the industrial controls realm to write their PID routine.

We just make sure to control the speed evenly after initial pull up and before the beep.  That seems to help. 

Yeah for ski speeds it overshoots so like you said I control that by just nursing it up to the set point and then let it hold it.  The problem with surfing is the opposite, the overshoot parameter is too conservative so it "undershoots" the set point, so you can't do anything but wait for it.  I have tried setting it high, meaning if I'm shooting for 10.8 I set it to 11.2, then when it hits 10.8 ish or above I punch the down button back to 10.8 - but that is a lot to mess with when you are trying to drive and pull someone out.  You really need a configurable value that you can assign to profiles for different applications, which I've seen on other speed control systems.  Oh well, I probably just need to accept it and just be happy I have gas in the boat. :biggrin:

10 hours ago, csleaver said:

See if you have the same issue at that speed with the wedge stowed, ballast empty, and minimal or no additional crew onboard.

yeah interesting experiment that I haven't tried.  My guess is that just like when setup to ski it will overshoot the speed, but then again maybe not because the boat will never plane out.  I think the issue is the overshoot parameter value is setup in anticipation of a general ramp up curve so in some general scenario it would be perfect but on high speed light weight the overshoot value is too aggressive and on the other end of slow speed heavy weight it is too conservative.  On the "too aggressive" side I can control that with throttle play but on the conservative side you don't have any way to adjust for it on the throttle, thus the more frustration.  Just wish it was more configurable for different setups that you could assign to different profiles.  The thing with an overshoot parameter is that it is anticipatory  by nature so the computer is making some assumptions of how the boat is going to respond.  The problem is that without a configuration to tell the computer how the boat is setup, that anticipated reaction to throttle can't be known and will be different depending how the boat is setup - so the computer is going to be right for one boat setup and wrong for all others.  This isn't the first speed control system that I've seen have issues like this, its expected, but other systems I could go in and give the computer a hint of what to expect by adjusting the overshoot parameter.  For example, if you know that the boat in the current setup is never going to plane out,  the overshoot needs to be very aggressive - and on the other side if you know boat is going to plane out then the overshoot needs to be more conservative.  But there is no way for the computer to know about this unless you can configure it to react different.

Edited by lake4life
34 minutes ago, csleaver said:

I think you are over thinking this.

Yes and no, there are two parts to this discussion.

1. The reality of what Maliview Cruise is and how it was designed - in that regard it is what it is and I accept that and will work with it just as I have been. No over thinking here.

2. Understanding why it is doing what it is doing and how it could be better - in that regard, yes, I am over thinking it - I've been a software engineer for 25 years and so to think through what is going on here and dissect as to how it could be better it is an occupational hazard.

The whole point of this post was not to dissect this, but to see if I was missing a configuration somewhere or if anyone had found a work around.  Dissecting it was a side affect of me and sorry you got sucked in. :)