Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2004 Malibu LXI leaking water

Noticed a lot of water in the engine compartment after an hour of cruising at various speeds (up to the oil pan). After running the bildge pump, I noticed a stream of water coming from the the front starboard side of the engine compartment, near the intake hose. There is a small hole along the side of the engine compartment, near a vent cover. I believe it’s the steering cable that comes out of this hole but that’s where the stream of water was coming from. Could it be something with the heater? Cracked or loose heater hose? Didn’t notice anything wet carpet under the helm but ran short on time to fully inspect everything but wondering what I should be looking for. Heater core hasn’t worked In a couple years but never had water leaking issue. The starboard manifold felt a little hot so I’m not sure if that is connected to the water leak issue. Didn’t see any water leaking from the engine, only coming through the hole that the steering cable comes out of. 

Any suggestions appreciated! 

Edited by Crowellm

It's possible heater core could leak into that area and flow out but that's unlikely compared to probability of it spilling carpet around your feet. Could be failed or rubbed through heater hose in subfloor.

Or it could be water just coming back out of that part of sub floor after having been filled by leak originating elsewhere.

Drain it fully with bilge pump or on trailer then when first back in water reassess where the water is originating from. 

I'm wondering why your auto bilge didn't pump it out before it reached that level.