Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

The Vault cap has gone missing

anutami

Order a new one and a tube of vault grease and slap it on.

you can get them a several online retailers but I’ve ordered mine from here, I keep 2 back ups in my travel tool kit as well. https://pacifictrailers.com/pages/search-results-page?q=vault+hubs

these guys are about 1/2 of what’s on Amazon if you have a few days for shipping 

there are 2 different sizes , I’ll post the instructions if I can find it

it’s easy but you need the vault specific grease, a dead blow or soft impact hammer, loctite, and a PVC cap to install it properly 

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

^What he said. I just did this on my personal boat, the plastic failed and was leaking. Take wheel off. Clean a lot of the grease out, then fill the cap with the hybrid grease up to the line about 1/2" from all the way full, put cap on, I used a brass hammer. The key is getting it started, real PITA but it will work. Patience. You can also use a little red thread lock when the cap is all the way on.

1 hour ago, Stevo said:

these guys are about 1/2 of what’s on Amazon if you have a few days for shipping

Sorry, this made me laugh.  Where I am, Amazon Prime is two to four days shipping... pretty frustrating.

3 hours ago, justgary said:

Sorry, this made me laugh.  Where I am, Amazon Prime is two to four days shipping... pretty frustrating.

There is a huge fulfillment warehouse about 60 miles from us and another large distribution center about 15 miles away, so there are things we order that show up same or next day.  

23 minutes ago, Stevo said:

There is a huge fulfillment warehouse about 60 miles from us and another large distribution center about 15 miles away, so there are things we order that show up same or next day. 

I understand.  My son lives a little over four hours from us and gets things next day.  For us they usually hold the shipment two days and then send it second day.  They now claim that "second day" means after they ship it, not after they confirm the order (like it was for years).  The last thing I bought from them got shipped from California via ground, so it was still four days.

4 hours ago, justgary said:

Most of the stuff I order is same day;). Warehouse is maybe 25 miles away.

Edited by oldjeep

Funny just opened the Bu crew page to search for info on vault bearing systems. Not exactly about the cap though. Figured I’d just post here vs search. Axle with the brake on it has some grease on the inner side of the wheel. Climbed under there and found one of the caliper bolts missing and one loose. Just had the trailer serviced and bearing resealed and pack last year. Betcha they forgot to tighten the caliper bolts. Other three brakes are fine as well as no grease out of the hub. I understand the Vault grease thins as it get hot. I suspect the dragging brake caliper was creating heat. Is it possible the rear seal is still good just the grease was so thin from heat it leaked out. Hopeful thought but I think a long shot. Leaving in the AM for a 5 hour tow. No means to fix it tonight. I estimate maybe a tablespoon of grease on the inside of the wheel slug around it.  Thoughts?

Also reading online Lucas Red & Tacky is compatible with the Vault grease. Yes? No? Maybe able to get some of that tonight.

Tiny bit of play with hands at 12 and 6. None at 9 and 3. Black cap is still out. Pushes in slightly but that’s it. Jacked all tires and they all seem the same. I’ll just keep an eye on it now that I’ve tightened the caliper up with a replacement bolt. See if it still leaks. Fingers crossed all is okay.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:29 PM, Stevo said:

Found it

B5394377-BB5B-46C1-A706-3C9483AF76AF.jpeg

Sweet, parts came in today and got er done.  

DGNHwPBl.jpg

I was going to just put the cap on but decided to buy these from Napa and sure glad I did because the hub took a bunch of grease 

GIIVoItl.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but is "Vault" the product being used now on new(er) trailers?  I haven't looked closely at a new trailer and assumed oil bath was still the standard for hubs.

• 1 month later...
On 6/19/2022 at 7:56 PM, IJM said:

Funny just opened the Bu crew page to search for info on vault bearing systems. Not exactly about the cap though. Figured I’d just post here vs search. Axle with the brake on it has some grease on the inner side of the wheel. Climbed under there and found one of the caliper bolts missing and one loose. Just had the trailer serviced and bearing resealed and pack last year. Betcha they forgot to tighten the caliper bolts. Other three brakes are fine as well as no grease out of the hub. I understand the Vault grease thins as it get hot. I suspect the dragging brake caliper was creating heat. Is it possible the rear seal is still good just the grease was so thin from heat it leaked out. Hopeful thought but I think a long shot. Leaving in the AM for a 5 hour tow. No means to fix it tonight. I estimate maybe a tablespoon of grease on the inside of the wheel slug around it.  Thoughts?

Also reading online Lucas Red & Tacky is compatible with the Vault grease. Yes? No? Maybe able to get some of that tonight.

Wow, I literally had a caliper bolt missing this weekend!   Luckily it was the top bolt, so we noticed it when we went to back up the trailer and it locked up.   Had it been the bottom bolt that had fallen out while traveling at highway speed that would have been trouble.    

I also noticed just a little bit of grease on the backside of the hub that lost the caliper bolt, running the same temp as the other hubs though?   I do have one hub running 10 to 15 degrees hotter, curious if others would be concerned?  2019 Axis Trailer.  

Edited by scrupulous

Lucky. Mine was the bottom bolt and the caliper pushed itself back off the rotor. Not sure how how many miles it was before I investigated. Only reason I did was there was grease all over the wheel. Heat caused the rear seal to fail. Lucky for me no damage to the bearings or the spindle shaft. Replaced the rear seal, packed with grease and good to go. I’m not convinced Vault is any better then the tried and true bearing buddies.