Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Drain plug hack

Bubbasboy

I have to admit that I got this idea from watching a YouTube video for a different brand boat, but it works for me and now I will always know if I forget to install the plug. 

ED2D8823-08D1-4F6F-801E-F9B3D3E327D2.jpeg

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Your boat must live on a lift.  Those ones never get removed. The one on transom is the only one that comes out of our boat - requirement at the ramp.

And that plug is the only one that has ever came out of my boats. None of mine would drain from the rear plug. 

• Like 4
52 minutes ago, Sparky450 said:

And that plug is the only one that has ever came out of my boats. None of mine would drain from the rear plug. 

I’ll second this. Never pulled the transom on any of my boats. 

• Like 3

We use that same hack….works great.

Our boat has never been on a lift and we only pull the center plug. I was questioned by an upset state park ranger why I didn’t pull the transom plug. I responded “Do you want me drain the water or just make it look like I drain the water?” He was satisfied with that response.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I’ll second this. Never pulled the transom on any of my boats. 

+1 my transom drain is almost never removed - If I do remove it, I reinstall it immediately.  I'll smooth talk a ranger or cop, even pay a fine if I have to - but I will not end up on the qualified captain instagram page with a swamped/sunk wakeboat :lol:.

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, Sparky450 said:

Agree... I trailer my boat but the middle plug is the only one I remove. nothing would come out of the transom plug unless I parked on a steep hill.

17 hours ago, oldjeep said:

Your boat must live on a lift.  Those ones never get removed. The one on transom is the only one that comes out of our boat - requirement at the ramp.

Or doesn't live in a State that you have do that. Center one is all I've ever done and everyone else in Wisconsin.

I only remove the transom plug but then between my steep driveway and the launch ramp my boat drains quite well.

As an aid against forgetfulness, I drilled a small hole in the transom plug end to accommodate an eye screw.  The screw eye is just large enough to fit a small ‘keychain style’ carabiner.  On the carabiner is a Velcro strap and small wrench that fits the transom plug.  When the boat is on the trailer, the plug and wrench are Velcroed to the boat steering wheel.  This makes it very unlikely you’ll launch your boat with the plug out, plus the wrench never gets misplaced.  When the plug is in, the carabiner, etc., are removed from the plug, as if that’s not obvious, LOL.

Pull both on the ramp.  Most of the water drains before we are ready to pull away from the ramp, more drains as we are driving down the highway.  Center plug gets left in the compartment where the through-hull is.  Transom plug lives in my truck, along with the wrench.  My son always double checks with me that they are installed, before we launch. Never forgot to put them back in.

13 hours ago, footndale said:

Or doesn't live in a State that you have do that. Center one is all I've ever done and everyone else in Wisconsin.

Same. The transom plug has never been pulled.

9 hours ago, bigskydoc said:

Pull both on the ramp.  Most of the water drains before we are ready to pull away from the ramp, more drains as we are driving down the highway.  Center plug gets left in the compartment where the through-hull is.  Transom plug lives in my truck, along with the wrench.  My son always double checks with me that they are installed, before we launch. Never forgot to put them back in.

So you are the guy on the ramp putting plugs in and pulling them while everyone else is waiting to launch 😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

😆  Nah. I put my plugs in at the staging area. I do pull them out on the ramp, while I'm attaching my transom straps, but that takes all of 5 seconds. 

If the ramp is busy, I pull out to the staging area immediately. If no one is waiting, I'll let the bilge drain on the ramp. 

On my 257 I can only barely touch the middle plug with my fingertips. Is under the tranny. I therefore only use the rear plug. Mine mostly drains at the ramp.. couple gal..but once I get the boat in the shed I vac it out with a dedicated shop vac. Usually about 2 gal. So I always have a dry bilge when the boat is stored.

are you guys required to pull drain plugs?  I've never pulled mine in 20+ years of owning boats- what little water is left that the bilge pump doesnt get is evaporated by the next weekend.  I try and leave the seats open so it has a place to escape.  In ca if that matters- idk?

Edited by bass10a
9 hours ago, bass10a said:

are you guys required to pull drain plugs?  I've never pulled mine in 20+ years of owning boats- what little water is left that the bilge pump doesnt get is evaporated by the next weekend.  I try and leave the seats open so it has a place to escape.  In ca if that matters- idk?

State law here in MN to remove the transom plug while on the road. Pretty dumb for an inboard, but here we are. When it was put into law a few years ago for invasive species there was enforcement at our local ramp. The state funding dried up so I doubt anyone local would give me trouble anymore.

4 hours ago, barefootpaul said:

State law here in MN to remove the transom plug while on the road. Pretty dumb for an inboard, but here we are. When it was put into law a few years ago for invasive species there was enforcement at our local ramp. The state funding dried up so I doubt anyone local would give me trouble anymore.

Our ramp has people inspecting all summer on the weekends.  DNR pays kids to fondle the boat looking for zebra mussels and weeds.  Kinda handy since they have some long grabbers to get the weeds off the middle of the axles for you.

To launch on Whitefish lake, we have to be inspected, have our ballast hot washed, and run our engines with their hot water on the intake, at decon, a spot a bit away from the lake.  They will seal the boat to the trailer when you pull out, so you don't have to go through decon the next time.  They do require us to pull our plugs above the special drain they have installed. 

The water is so high this year, though, that the entire drain is under water.