Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil spec's


Recommended Posts

Jermlives2ride

My issue is trying to figure out what brand of oil for my 383 hammerhead everyone's referring to 15w-40 which is fine except there fact that 15w-40 is a diesel oil and know one is clarifying if that's ok to use in the gas 383 hammerhead motor ? Any to clear the air ? 

Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Jermlives2ride said:

My issue is trying to figure out what brand of oil for my 383 hammerhead everyone's referring to 15w-40 which is fine except there fact that 15w-40 is a diesel oil and know one is clarifying if that's ok to use in the gas 383 hammerhead motor ? Any to clear the air ? 

Yes. "Diesel" oil is great for boats; it means it has additives for high load, high pressure, high blowby symptoms - many characteristics of a boat running (though less, and where water is contributing rather than a high pressure fuel system)

Valvoline has a 15w40 synthetic blend that's diesel certified if you're cheap, but going full synthetic is smarter. Synthetic and higher cold flow oils last longer, don't break down as much under load, and flow better for cold starts (a consumer boat has a lot of cold starts)

Edited by smileysteve
Link to comment

I use 15W-40 diesel oil also, but I stick with a brand that carries an S rating as well as a C rating.  Rotella dropped their S rating a few years back, so many of us switched to Delo.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

I’m surprised I don’t here more people using amsoil products on here. 
 

I have been using them for the past few years in my vehicles and after some oil analysis, am blown away by the results. 
 

Is there a reason why people aren’t using them in their boats? Just got my boat last year and all the fluids in the boat were switched to amsoil this year. 
 

hopefully I get the same results out of them. 

Link to comment

Yes any diesel oil is what you want.   With the hammerhead I'd be tempted to run 15w50 Mobil 1 b/c it's a tad thicker.

Link to comment
20 hours ago, ThinBuLine said:

 

Is there a reason why people aren’t using them in their boats? Just got my boat last year and all the fluids in the boat were switched to amsoil this year. 
 

hopefully I get the same results out of them. 

Yes, because while amsoil may be good oil - it is also a cult;)

Link to comment
35 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

Yes, because while amsoil may be good oil - it is also a cult;)

And nobody makes a bad oil.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...