Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pickup Fitting Stuck in Tank - PLEASE HELP!!

@justgary I tried using heat numerous times and it did not budge. I’ve been trying to remove the whole pick up to the tank. Right now I am soaking it in carb cleaner as I had some other people tell me that it’s better to penetrate the sealant.  I’m praying tomorrow this thing breaks free otherwise I’m going to lose my mind.  Spent the entire day trying to get it out.  

26 minutes ago, kylegansel said:

I’m praying tomorrow this thing breaks free otherwise I’m going to lose my mind.  Spent the entire day trying to get it out.  

I can imagine.  Perhaps a restless night lying awake thinking about it will bring a clarity of mind to you tomorrow, and you will pop it right out.

I found this on another site about a different boat, but same style pickup and tank. One person on that site also mentioned they had same issues and their pickup tube elbow broke at the tank. Then they used an easy out to get the tank fitting and tube out. 

Put the big nut back on, Tight,...
That's the bulkhead fitting that passes through the tank,...

Then use 2 wrenches, 1 on that big nut, 'n another on the elbow,...
Hold the big nut, 'n turn the elbow, counter-clockwise....
The elbow, 'n the pick-up tube should come out as a unit....

@williemon The nut is on there very tight. I’ve been soaking it in a very strong PB blaster overnight and multiple times today. Every time I try and hold the nut tight the insert turns with the fuel pick up fitting. I’m going to keep soaking it for the day and then try it later this evening. If this doesn’t work after a week I’m going to have to drain the tank and pull it and then use a torch most likely to get it out. 

I would think that the nut would eventually tighten enough to hold the insert in place.  The risk is pulling it through the tank, but that should be very difficult to do.

If you do damage the tank, HDPE welding rods are cheap and fairly easy to use if you have a heat gun with a small nozzle.

@justgary you’re giving me some confidence because the nut is on there pretty darn tight.  At some point this this is gonna have to let loose I’d think.  Just continuing to let it soak in penetrating oil for the day.  

Update - So I tried wrenching on this all weekend.  No luck....  Today I spoke with Dennis Kelley with Malibu who's been there for 30 years.  Incredible guy with a wealth of knowledge.  I also spoke with two contacts at Moeller. spoke to Paul at Bakes again.  Basically, the concensus was if that pick up tube fitting hasn't broken loose yet leave it.  If you break it you're done for.  If it spins too much you'll have an issue with gas fumes leaking out.  I'd be trying to find a tank from a junk yard to replace mine at that point if that happens.  

My dad had the idea of a dremmel tool with a vacuum which is what Paul at Bakes Marine recommended.  So, he was able to turn the fitting enough to work on it.  He got it out!!!!  The threads are slightly rough but after speaking to the team again they think I'll be fine.  I'm going to use a tap very gently to clean up the threads ever so slightly.  I'm then going to use a brass 1/2" fitting and skip the anti-siphon.  I was told by numerous people that is fine and it's not needed.  I won't be able to jump on this for another week but I'm extremely anxious to see how it all works.  I'm praying no leaks and I can get back to making memories on the water with the family.  

Thank you all for your help and advice.  This page is awesome!!

Fitting.jpg

• Like 3

A method to prevent fuel from siphoning out of the tank from the fuel feed hose is definitely necessary.  An inline manual shut off valve can be used as long as it is easily accessible.  Electric solenoid valves (like what Sea Ray often uses) are also available, but pricey and time consuming to install.  The spring ball valve fitting like what you had in there originally is pretty common.   Do not replace it with just a standard hose nipple.

Good job!!  I would also recommend installing an anti siphon. A bad anti siphon may have been your root issue. Allowing fuel to drain back into the tank leaving an empty supply hose to the fuel pump. Might have to add a fitting where the old one was in order to have good threading for the next anti siphon.

Edited by williemon
3 hours ago, csleaver said:

A method to prevent fuel from siphoning out of the tank from the fuel feed hose is definitely necessary.  An inline manual shut off valve can be used as long as it is easily accessible.  Electric solenoid valves (like what Sea Ray often uses) are also available, but pricey and time consuming to install.  The spring ball valve fitting like what you had in there originally is pretty common.   Do not replace it with just a standard hose nipple.

@csleaver I spoke with Dennis who’s been on the response team forever and he said it’s not needed.  How would the gas drain back into the tank when the tank sits higher than the motor, fuel pump, and fuel line?  

50 minutes ago, kylegansel said:

@csleaver I spoke with Dennis who’s been on the response team forever and he said it’s not needed.  How would the gas drain back into the tank when the tank sits higher than the motor, fuel pump, and fuel line?  

I never said gas would drain back into the tank.  A shutoff valve or anti siphon device is designed to prevent fuel from siphoning out of the tank and into the bilge if a fuel line comes loose or gets damaged.  Hopefully, you will never have to find out why the USCG requires boat builders to use them.

@csleaver I get it.  I understand the intent.  I do appreciate you chiming in too.  I have a little time here to mull it over.  My biggest concern is the damn thing acting up again.  This has been the biggest royal PITA I've ever dealt with so you can probably understand my hesitantcy to put another one in....

10 hours ago, justgary said:

Those dads are great, aren't they?  I hope you bought him a nice dinner after that!

@justgary Yep they sure are!  He's semi-retired so he was able to stay behind since I had to get back home and work for the week.  I think he's going to head up again this weekend and hopefully get everything back together.... Crossing my fingers!!  

@kylegansel - you can get an inline anti siphon valve which you simply install like an inline filter.  Source one through a car or boat racing supplier.  As noted it is to keep fuel from exiting the tank to areas where you don’t want it.  For racing the use is when the vehicle is upside down.

• Like 2
17 hours ago, kylegansel said:

I'm then going to use a brass 1/2" fitting

Aluminum on aluminum is bad enough, but brass on aluminum will make a big mess due to galvanic action.  Use a stainless fitting if you can find one.

so is the anti siphon supposed to open the ball check during a suckage event like when the fuel pump is trying to pull fuel from the tank and then it will close up once the pump is off? 

1 hour ago, williemon said:

so is the anti siphon supposed to open the ball check during a suckage event like when the fuel pump is trying to pull fuel from the tank and then it will close up once the pump is off? 

@williemon that’s my understanding how it works.