Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Pickup Fitting Stuck in Tank - PLEASE HELP!!

My fuel pump was starving for gas last week and the boat shut off.  It was recommended that I replace the anti-siphon valve as they can go bad.  It was so tight that I ended up snapping the anti-siphon valve threads going into the 90 for the fuel pick up line.  Now I’m trying to get the fuel pick up line out of the tank and it won’t budge.  It’s locked into the threated insert in the tank.  I have been soaking it with PB blaster to see if that will loosen up. Any ideas on how to get it out?   We’re supposed to be on vacation in two weeks and I’m dead in the water now.  

I have a 2005 Malibu Response LX.  Any help or tips would be appreciated.  

59 minutes ago, kylegansel said:

My fuel pump was starving for gas last week and the boat shut off.  It was recommended that I replace the anti-siphon valve as they can go bad.  It was so tight that I ended up snapping the anti-siphon valve threads going into the 90 for the fuel pick up line.  Now I’m trying to get the fuel pick up line out of the tank and it won’t budge.  It’s locked into the threated insert in the tank.  I have been soaking it with PB blaster to see if that will loosen up. Any ideas on how to get it out?   We’re supposed to be on vacation in two weeks and I’m dead in the water now.  

I have a 2005 Malibu Response LX.  Any help or tips would be appreciated.  

Any chance you can post a photo or two of the situation?

Just now, dalt1 said:

Get an EZ Out screw extractor.

You really think that would work?  It’s in there so tight and I’d need a large one.  Not to mention I can’t get a drill in there.  

31 minutes ago, dalt1 said:

Just DM you. Give me a call.

Thanks for your help.  I’ll keep you posted.  

Update.  I’ve tried heat, solvent, acetone, hammer….  No luck. The pick up tube fitting wants to spin in the insert.  

Grip nut with correct wrench and twist the pickup connection with a wrench wrench and unscrew it? Does it work like that? I’ve had mine out all the way but don’t remember how I did it.

1 minute ago, williemon said:

Grip nut with correct wrench and twist the pickup connection with a wrench wrench and unscrew it? Does it work like that? I’ve had mine out all the way but don’t remember how I did it.

It won’t budge.  It’s seized.  I’m afraid of snapping the pick up tube fitting in the insert after I already broke the anti siphon valve off. 

Might have to order a new pickup fitting and then go for broke. Either it comes off correct and you can fix it up, or it breaks and your new one is on the way. I just don’t have a good answer. Maybe if you were to cut off the nut with a dremmel tool and cut wheel. Have to be concerned about sparking. Maybe some tin snips. I’m trying to find some pictures from when I did mine.

2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Pickup shouldn't have to come out if you can get the extractor on there. 

@UWSkier I’ve tried a few different extractors and I can’t get it in thereI’ve tried a few different extractors and I can’t get it in there

1 minute ago, williemon said:

Might have to order a new pickup fitting and then go for broke. Either it comes off correct and you can fix it up, or it breaks and your new one is on the way. I just don’t have a good answer. Maybe if you were to cut off the nut with a dremmel tool and cut wheel. Have to be concerned about sparking. Maybe some tin snips. I’m trying to find some pictures from when I did mine.

@williemon i’m fine with replacing all the parts. I have no issue with that. My biggest concern is trying to get the pick up fitting out now that it is seized so bad. If it breaks in there I am totally screwed

I have had success by drilling increasingly bigger holes in the fitting to a point just short of the threads. Then using a pick or similar device to push or pull one of the walls into the hole, freeing the remaining shell of the fitting. If there is still tubing in there you may be able to insert a punch or drift into the tube for some leverage. You are going to get some crud into the tank, but you will want to clean it out anyway.

Edited by wdr

Just put a vice grip on square end of right angle fitting that you broke hose barb off in.  Wrench on tank fitting - remove and replace .  Toss the screw extractors in trash.  If you need more space pull tank and put it on bench.

1 minute ago, oldjeep said:

Just put a vice grip on square end of right angle fitting that you broke hose barb off in.  Wrench on tank fitting - remove and replace .  Toss the screw extractors in trash.  If you need more space pull tank and put it on bench.

@oldjeep so just torque the square fitting hard and don’t worry about holding the nut????

34 minutes ago, wdr said:

I have had success by drilling increasingly bigger holes in the fitting to a point just short of the threads. Then using a pick or similar device to push or pull one of the walls into the hole, freeing the remaining shell of the fitting. If there is still tubing in there you may be able to insert a punch or drift into the tube for some leverage. You are going to get some crud into the tank, but you will want to clean it out anyway.

I have concerns about using a drill on top of the gas tank.  Better to drain it at this point but I’d rather replace the entire fuel pickup line now. 

If you wanna get nuts, you can slide the tank forward.  This requires a ton of disassembly to get to the tank brackets that are under the backrest for the sofa.  Backrest for the sofa doesn't come out without removing the side panels/bolsters.  It's a snowball effect.  I had mine completely apart last year and it's not a job I wish to repeat.

54 minutes ago, kylegansel said:

@UWSkier not sure I need to do that yet.  Just need this darn fitting to let loose and I’d be golden.  Put in new parts and call it a day. 

That thing really doesn't look like it is coming out without a fight.  Heat would help, but the tank is plastic and full of fuel....

So your choice is to try to remove the broken thread holding the valve in place or try to remove the whole pickup from the tank, right?  I think I would remove the gauge sender and peek inside to see what you are dealing with behind that nut.  If you are lucky, you can bend a wrench and get it on the part underneath, which will allow you a whole lot more force available on the pickup fitting.

Did I mention that heat would help?  I'm glad I'm four states away.